weekend telly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• weekend telly

What happened to good weekend television?
    WELCOME TO HELL!!!

Re: weekend telly

What do you call good weekend television? Do you mean game shows like Bruce Forsyth's Generation Game? Do you remember BBC1 showing a film under the "Saturday Night At The Movies" banner starting around 7-8 ish (I remember the sequence they showed every week between the BBC1 globe and proper film start)? Do you mean afternoon sport, i.e. Grandstand on BBC and World of Sport on ITV? Are you thinking of kids Saturday shows, i.e. Multi-Coloured Swap Shop, Saturday Superstore, Going Live etc on BBC1, up against Tiswas on ITV? Do you mean Sunday lunchtime viewing: Weekend World around midday on ITV, farming programmes on BBC1 and ITV circa 1-2ish? Your question is too vague and open-ended, please be a bit more specific.
    I am 13 ... times 4.

Comment

Originally posted by Star Attraction View Post
      What do you call good weekend television? Do you mean game shows like Bruce Forsyth's Generation Game? Do you remember BBC1 showing a film under the "Saturday Night At The Movies" banner starting around 7-8 ish (I remember the sequence they showed every week between the BBC1 globe and proper film start)? Do you mean afternoon sport, i.e. Grandstand on BBC and World of Sport on ITV? Are you thinking of kids Saturday shows, i.e. Multi-Coloured Swap Shop, Saturday Superstore, Going Live etc on BBC1, up against Tiswas on ITV? Do you mean Sunday lunchtime viewing: Weekend World around midday on ITV, farming programmes on BBC1 and ITV circa 1-2ish? Your question is too vague and open-ended, please be a bit more specific.
      Oh, Star Attraction! You have made me so nostalgic for all those shows. Especially World of Sport and Weekend World. Though that may be at least partly due to the fact that my Dad built London Weekend Television!

Maybe venhelsing is talking about 70s Saturday nights on BBC1 when you basically didn't have to turn over. Football results, Tom & Jerry, Basil Brush/Doctor Who, The Generation Game, Saturday Night at the Movies/Two Ronnies/Morcambe and Wise, Match of the Day and Parkinson. What did I miss? Great days.

Comment

That's how I remember a 70's Saturday Night, although there I would add WHTT Likely lads in there.

Sadly, there was some Saturday Night Guff.. the Black & White Minstrel Show

Comment

Originally posted by sixtyten View Post
          That's how I remember a 70's Saturday Night, although there I would add WHTT Likely lads in there.

Sadly, there was some Saturday Night Guff.. the Black & White Minstrel Show
          I'd forgotten about the Likely Lads. Was that Saturdays?

I loathed The Black & White Minstrel Show. These days I recognise the borderline racist thing. At the time, it was because I just found it so flippin' boring!
          Last edited by Marine Boy; 05-04-2010, 00:04.

Comment

Yep. It was on between Generation Game & SNATM.
            I'm with you on the B&W Minstrels..It wasn't the racist element, as no-one really worried about that at the time (rightly or wrongly), Just look at some of the comedy acts of the day (Manning, etc).
            It was just so outdated and naff

Comment

Originally posted by Marine Boy View Post
              Oh, Star Attraction! You have made me so nostalgic for all those shows. Especially World of Sport and Weekend World. Though that may be at least partly due to the fact that my Dad built London Weekend Television!

Maybe venhelsing is talking about 70s Saturday nights on BBC1 when you basically didn't have to turn over. Football results, Tom & Jerry, Basil Brush/Doctor Who, The Generation Game, Saturday Night at the Movies/Two Ronnies/Morcambe and Wise, Match of the Day and Parkinson. What did I miss? Great days.
              Yep, you've covered nearly everything there. What a perfect tv night we had on Saturdays in the 70s.
              You did forget the great Val Doonican Show though!

Did your dad actually build the LWT studio MB?
              sigpic
              'Dreams come true if you want them to'

Comment

Originally posted by kazboot View Post
                ...Did your dad actually build the LWT studio MB?
                Yes, he worked for the construction firm Higgs & Hill for most of his life and was Project Manager on Kent House, the name of the towerblock and surrounding studios, built for London Weekend Television. I went to work with him several times. I remember we had complimentary tickets to see the Rolf Harris Show being recorded in one of the shiny new studios. I even recall the guest star was Charlie Drake.

Comment

Charlie Drake, that is going back!
                  I even vaguely remember him in The Worker. How old am I?
                  sigpic
                  'Dreams come true if you want them to'

Comment

Working...
                  X