Made In Britain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Made In Britain

Anybody see Tim Roth's screen debut as an obnoxious, racist skinhead in this cult television one off drama which was first broadcast back in 1983? IF (and I hope not) it was to be remade, it would unfairly have some kid in a hooded top from a council estate, rather than some nice private estate, as the main character. It was written by Alan Clarke who had already had some success with SCUM featuring Ray 'I AM BEOWULF/THE DADDY NOW' Winston who went onto great things.
    WELCOME TO HELL!!!

Re: Made In Britain

I remember it! It was must see tv for all the boys in my school.

Comment

Have it on dvd.Great film.

Comment

i remember when it first screened on channel 4 (i think)
        there was a great scene where he stopped in front of a shop window and just looked at all the consumer goods in disgust before he smashed it in.

i seem to remember at around this time there was another play (on ITV) called Oi for England.
        about 3 skinheads who are recruited by a older man.

Does anyone remember that?
        My scrapbook blog

My website

Comment

MADE IN BRITAIN is a classic, Roth is superb, ultra realistic feel to the whole movie, I have the DVD and also another skinhead to track down
          is the Leary one in MIKE LEIGH'S MEANTIME, played by GARY OLDMAN, TIM ROTH is also in this - barely recognisable - (excellent acting) as a slightly slow council lad.
          and his brother in this movie is another now famous name, Phil Daniels, playing a Jack The Lad. type.

Its a must see as far I am concerned and ranks a perfect companion to MADE IN BRITAIN.
          Its now on DVD most places very cheap - £5 or less, although I am after the reg 1, vers, in 16.9, and with extras, a real gloomy movie but acting of high standard, don't see it if you get depressed.
          Last edited by Timeslipper; 08-04-2010, 00:12.
          sigpic
          Don't worry Cheryl....
          I'll catch you if you slip!

Comment

Possibly one of the best scenes in MADE IN BRITAIN.
            sigpic
            Don't worry Cheryl....

Comment

Originally posted by Timeslipper View Post
              MADE IN BRITAIN is a classic, Roth is superb, ultra realistic feel to the whole movie, I have the DVD and also another skinhead to track down
              is the Leary one in MIKE LEIGH'S MEANTIME, played by GARY OLDMAN, TIM ROTH is also in this - barely recognisable - (excellent acting) as a slightly slow council lad.
              and his brother in this movie is another now famous name, Phil Daniels, playing a Jack The Lad. type.

Its a must see as far I am concerned and ranks a perfect companion to MADE IN BRITAIN.
              Its now on DVD most places very cheap - £5 or less, although I am after the reg 1, vers, in 16.9, and with extras, a real gloomy movie but acting of high standard, don't see it if you get depressed.
              Tim Roth was the skinhead (again).
              WELCOME TO HELL!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Timeslipper View Post
                Possibly one of the best scenes in MADE IN BRITAIN.
                Respect for posting this clip, mate. Could have been on for longer and I HOPE THIS DOESN'T GET REMADE WITH A MODERN MAKE OVER!!!
                BTW the theme was called UK82
                WELCOME TO HELL!!!

Comment

Tim Roth played the "special needs" lad, and Gary Oldman played the skin as in the pic, towards the end of the movie Tim Roths character does shave his head to "be like" the Oldman skinhead character.
                  sigpic
                  Don't worry Cheryl....

Comment

@vanhelsing -
                    They cant exceed the original Made In Britain, it is of its time and should be left alone, no remakes needed.
                    The theme (UK82) was indeed by the good ol' ugly gits of punk - The Exploited.
                    sigpic
                    Don't worry Cheryl....

Comment

Re: Made In Britain-Meantime-skinhead

Gary Oldman as the very realistic leary skin, I knew a few like him some years ago, and this is superb acting, alongside Tim Roth as a dippy skin head wannbe, Oldman's performance is bang on.
                      sigpic
                      Don't worry Cheryl....

Comment

Re: Made In Britain-Meantime-skinhead

This is the clip containing the standoff between Oldman's Cocksy skinhead character, and a very well casted black guy in a lift with Tim Roth.
                        Many skins were indeed hard nuts, but some were full of mouth and bullies, that when confronted with real violence they just went to jello.
                        This is a great example perfectly acted by Oldman here, the lift scene is a cassic and I have seen a very very similar incident some years ago.
                        "Dirty peel head raas!" (Followed by Oldman saying "Get Cancer" and then visibly looking fearful)Brilliant!!!
                        sigpic
                        Don't worry Cheryl....

Comment

Originally posted by old git View Post
                          Have it on dvd.Great film.
                          Me to.
                          Frame.
                          "poor is the man who's pleasures depend on the permission of another"

Comment

I've just watched Made In Britain. Very bleak, bits of black humour, but ultimately drepressing!

What does anyone make of Trevors grin at the end? That his spirit hasn't been broken? That the short sharp shock has yet to work with him?

It's quite tragic really that the only time he's really pensive is when he's watching a family scene ie the display in the shop window and the social worker's children sleeping peacefully.

Comment

Remakes can be dreadfull......If it isnt broke,dont fix it.
                              Frame.
                              "poor is the man who's pleasures depend on the permission of another"

Comment

Working...
                              X