Lewis's (Manchester)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lewis's (Manchester)

Anybody remember Lewis's in MCR City centre? I was invited for a job interview there but they didn't respond and now it's Primark.
    WELCOME TO HELL!!!

Re: Lewis's (Manchester)

Being as I've never set foot in Manchester, I don't remember any particular shop there. However I fondly remember Lewis's in The Horsefair, Bristol. That closed down in early 1981. Since then the building has been occupied by John Lewis, Bentalls, House of Fraser and now (as of August 2009) Primark.
    I am 13 ... times 4.

Comment

I remember being taken there a few times on family shopping trips.

Once my brother was lost in there for about an hour.

For years I assumed it was owned by John Lewis, but it wasn't.
      The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I remember Lewis's very well. When I wagged school, I would walk down Cheetham Hill Road, stop at Victoria Station to look at the trains, then 'do' the BIG three. Kendals on Deansgate and then up to Market Street for Debenhams and Lewis's. Then lunch at Piccadilly Station to look at more trains.

I now live right next to the West Coast Mainline so I get to see all the trains I want. Including the occasional 'steamer'!

Comment

Knew it well. Used to get taken when i was a kid for the annual Santa visit and in later years spent a fair bit in the record department.
          "GAME OVER MAN, GAME OVER"

Comment

I remember Lewis's too. It seems smaller now that its Primark. I also remember Kendals was Kendal Milne.

Comment

Lewis's had a fantastic third floor that had a whole half dedicated to its toy department. And more, in the lead up to Christmas. I loved it as a child. Even ignoriong the pink tedium of the Sindy doll aisles, there still seemed acres of boy's toys, like Hot Wheels, Action Man and Britain's soldiers with the green metal bases. I saw Father Christmas there when small, and remember queueing up one the spiral stairwells that weren't used too often due to their escalators. I'd still wander round their toy department as a teen, already nostalgic for earlier days even though I'd still not left school.

As an adult, I'd often cut through from Piccadilly bust station, dodging the rain, and poping out at the top of Market Street.

Best toy experience for a Manchester kid. Beatties came close for a boy, then Zodiac Toys in the Arndale, and the four-floor toy shop of Alpha Toys & Games in Bolton if we went there instead.

....Jamo.

Comment

I can't remember the Zodiac in the Arndale Centre, but I remember Toy & Hobby had a shop in Manchester.

I can't remember where it was, but it opened about 1984 & had gone by 1990.
                The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Yeah, I remember Zodiac Toys and Kid HQ in Lewis's.
                  WELCOME TO HELL!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
                    I can't remember the Zodiac in the Arndale Centre, but I remember Toy & Hobby had a shop in Manchester.

I can't remember where it was, but it opened about 1984 & had gone by 1990.
                    There was definetly a Zodiac in the MAC and in Stetford Mall (which is now under administartion and looks set to go bust).
                    WELCOME TO HELL!!!

Comment

Sorry, sorry.
                      That was embarrassing, putting this thread up only to find out that Liverpool's Lewis's has closed down.
                      But this is open to anybody to talkabout Lewis's.
                      WELCOME TO HELL!!!

Comment

As I mentioned in another thread, in 1974ish, the BBC took over a part of Lewis's for 'BBC Week', which included a live performance of Play School. Brian Cant was leading it, I think Carol Chell was there as well, and the toys. Marvellous, you can't imagine how amazing it was to see these people and toys from TV come to life just a few feet away. It was so exciting I thought I must have dreamt it, but my Mum remembers it perfectly, and years later, when researching the radio show, I found a Manchester Evening News advert for the event. Brilliant.

Comment

Working...
                        X