Big Daddy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Daddy

It's Saturday, mid-morning. The cartoons have finished and now it's time for Wrestling. However, this isn't wrestling as we know it today - waxed hulk hogans, preened and shiny, picture purfect and ready for hollywood. Oh no, this is Wrestling West-country style. Hairy Backs and beer bellies, bald 40 year old men, in man-kini's looking like wolverine's out of shape Uncle. And when this was wrestling - Big Daddy (real name Shirly Crabtree - yes that's right, I wonder what led him into a life of beating people up?) was the largest, fattest and most famous of them all. He reall was a Big Daddy. You cannot compare the joy of watching a severly overweight 40 year old man called Shirly jumping on other farmer-types, pushing people over with his belly, and altogether acting the bully. It was a joy, an innocent, "my god-did-those-programs-really-happen" memory. He was also notoriously popular and kind - giving a lot of money to charity. You tube Big Daddy and treat yourself to a bit of nostalgia that will never come back as retro-cool.

More...
    Do You Remember the 70s, 80s and 90s?
    http://www.DoYouRemember.co.uk

Re: Big Daddy

I remember the last years of ITV Wrestling, & Big Daddy was one of my favourites. I remember we always seemed to have a little skinny guy as a tag partner, seemingly to make him look bigger.
    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I saw Big daddy many times at De Monfort Hall in Leicester, against Giant Haystacks and many more, can clearly hear the Big daddy chant when his opponent went down or on the ropes,
      "EASY EASY EASY" the crowd loved him, many Grans wanted to adopt him, my Dad and I were regular Wrestling fans, and I some where have a program for a show at Granby Halls, in Leicester also, I will try and dig it out, scan it and post it here, I recall it features a new act "Kung Fu" and he was against Kendo Nagasaki.
      sigpic
      Don't worry Cheryl....
      I'll catch you if you slip!

Comment

Mark "Rollerball" Rocco!

Comment

Here is some Classic Big Daddy.......Rollerball Rocco.....yep saw him too, had stars n stripes shorts as I remember.........

sigpic
          Don't worry Cheryl....

Comment

Here is Rollerball Rocco VS Kung Fu, I saw this geezer (Kung Fu) numerous times perform he was very quick.
            sigpic
            Don't worry Cheryl....

Comment

I think everyone watched the wrestling on a Saturday in those days. It was real family viewing. I loved Big Daddy!
              1976 Vintage

Comment

The other "senior" I remember was King Ben, who was in a tag team with his son.
                The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I saw Big Daddy,Giant Haystacks and all the regulars Wrestle live at The Festival Trowel back in 1992. Well worth the £4 Admission.
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X