Ad_Forums-Top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

some of my favourite lesser known Sci fi films.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: some of my favourite lesser known Sci fi films.

I went to our local cinema (the ABC) to watch Karate Kid 2 in 1986 but it was sold out so me and a friend went to watch the remake of the 1950's classic Invaders From Mars and I loved it, but what made it special was we were the only people watching, It was like having your own private screening

and fo4r all the sci fi geeks on here (me included) they are remastering 2001 and it will be released in cinemas soon - I cannot wait as I've never seen it on the big screen
    Age is just a number - If yours bothers you stop counting

Comment

D a r y l data analysing robot youth lifeform is such a fantastic film its on freeview regular.

Others are wavelength,explorers,the giant claw, dark star the alien is like a beachball with feet.

Invaders from mars 1953 what a film they did an eighties remake about 20 mins longer but not as atmospheric.

Day of the triffids with howard keel.
      FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Dark Star was on TV a few months ago, & is an influence on Alien & Red Dwarf among others.
        The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

others are deadly spawn contamination.
          xtro xtro 2.

humanoids from the deep.
          they are like sci fi horror.

night of the comet.

phladelphia exp

flight of the navigator
          Last edited by darren; 10-11-2014, 21:01.

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
            night of the comet.
            Ooh yes, another of my culty scifi faves...

Comment

A pre-Voyager Robert Beltran was in that as I recall....

Comment

starcrash it has a superb cast david hasslehoff cAROLINE MUNRO JOE SPINELL.

SEEN IT LAST NIGHT FOR FIRST TIME
                VERY DIFFERENT FROM THE FILM JOE AND CAROLINE WHERE IN A YEAR LATER.

Comment

Who remembers Robot Jeremy?

Comment

was that that action movie about a robot called jeremy?
                    The Indelible Asher D

Comment

earth v the flying saucers 1956.
                      Wonderful film with effects by the legend ray harryhausen.

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
                        earth v the flying saucers 1956.
                        Wonderful film with effects by the legend ray harryhausen.
                        One of my favourite Sci fi films. Remember watching this 1976/7 at my grandmothers house. Think it was shown on a Thursday night. Bought the dvd some years ago. Love it for nostalgic reasons these days.
                        Who cared about rules when you were young?

Comment

Not surprised you like it.

The fifties has some mazing sci fi films.

Its thanks to youtube i know sop many of them.

Few more.

Mothra 1961
                          day of the triffids 1962

ghidorah the 3 headed monster 1964

plant of the vampires 1965
                          godzilla v the sea monster aka ebirah horror of the deep 1966
                          destroy all monsters 1968.

Originally posted by marc View Post
                          one of my favourite sci fi films. Remember watching this 1976/7 at my grandmothers house. Think it was shown on a thursday night. Bought the dvd some years ago. Love it for nostalgic reasons these days.

Comment

A few of my favourite SF films from the 50s:

It came from Outer Space (1953) Originally in 3-D and with very eerie desert locations.

Invasion of the Bodysnatchers (1956) Conjures up a very effective atmosphere of paranoia.

I Married a Monster from Outer Space (1958) Much better than the title suggests.

Fiend without a Face (1958) Surprisingly gory for its time and the barn scene terrified me when I was a boy.

The Brain Eaters (1958) Very low budget with poor creature FX, but still fun to watch.

Creature from the Black Lagoon (1954) Released in 3-D with wonderful underwater scenes--Julie Adams in her white swimsuit is a sight worth seeing.

Comment

Forgot to mention that I collected Super 8 films back in the 70s and had a 20-minute print of Creature from the Black Lagoon in sound and 3-D--2 pairs of 3-D specs came with the film. Even on an 8mm print on a home-sized projector screen it looked great, particularly those underwater scenes of the creature stalking Julie Adams.

Comment

Favourite 60s SF films:

2001: A Space Odyssey (1968) For its day the FX were stunning. Saw it back in '68 at the cinema when I was 6 or 7--goodness knows what I made of it.

Barbarella (1968) Jane Fonda in her zero-G strip during the titles--need I say more?

Planet of the Apes (1968) Makes monkeys out of the remake. One of Heston's best films

Battle beneath the Earth (1967) The Chinese are tunneling under America with laser drillers--some poor American accents and a fade-out against an atomic blast, but great fun.

Journey to the Centre of Time (1967) Cheap as chips remake of The Time Travelers, but still fun in a so-bad-it's-good way.

Destination Inner Space (1966): Another cheapie with a Creature from the Black Lagoon type alien monster. One of my fave B-movie actors, Scott Brady--stars and he is also in the previous film on this list.

Island of Terror (1966) Peter Cushing battling lumbering, impregnable "silicates" on a remote Scottish island and losing his hand in the process--great fun.

It! (1966) A bit obscure in which Roddy McDowell brings a stone golem back to life and uses it to blackmail the government and kidnap the girl he fancies.

The Atomic Submarine (1960) Possibly cheating as sometimes this is credited as 1959. Similar to Destination Inner Space but still fun--cheap but rather endearing FX.

Curse of the Fly (1965) Third in the "Fly" series but in colour this time. Carole Gray running through the woods in her nightie and a collection of failed experimental teleportation subjects locked up for the heroine to stumble upon are probably the highlights.
                                The Atomic Brain (1964) Bonkers tale of an old woman who lures 3 beautiful girls to her home with the promise of a job, but intends for her resident mad scientist to transplant her brain into one of the girls bodies once she's decided which has the best body--and one of the girls gets a cat's brain for her troubles.

Comment

Working...
                                X