Ad_Forums-Top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

some of my favourite lesser known Sci fi films.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: some of my favourite lesser known Sci fi films.

Originally posted by tex View Post
    The hunt for red october?
    My dad made me read the book when I was younger.
    Always ready for chat.

Comment

Originally posted by Smeghead View Post
      The Enemy Below?
      I think this was different wasn't this an American warship chasing a German submarine?
      Always ready for chat.

Comment

Originally posted by Caitlyn View Post
        I think this was different wasn't this an American warship chasing a German submarine?
        Yes it was, Robert Mitchum and Curt Jurgens, they were enemies but had enormous respect for one another, real cat and mouse battle it was.

Comment

Originally posted by Donald the Great View Post
          This rather obscure Charlton Heston helmed flick was pretty good.
          Soylent Green (1973)

In the world ravaged by the greenhouse effect and overpopulation, an NYPD detective investigates the murder of a big company CEO.-

Soylent Green was based on Harry Harrison's novel, Make Room! Make Room! The film, made in 1973, is noteworthy as being an early example of a video game being depicted. Shirl (Leigh Taylor Young) is seen playing it towards the beginning of the film, and it has apparently been gotten for her by the apartment's tenant, Simonson. Shirl is "furniture", an attractive girl who comes with the apartment's furnishings and is there to cater to the tenant's requirements. I believe the video game is a real one, and was known in arcades of the time as Computer Space or Computer Space War.

Comment

My dad made me read the book when I was younger.
            starred Sean connery as a scottish russian.
            Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

starred Sean connery as a scottish russian.
              Funny x

Just entering my brain is Outland another brilliant si fi film anyone... ?
              Always ready for chat.

Comment

That reminds me of a really good sci-fi movie called Enemy Mine, with Dennis Quaid and Louis Gosset jr, summary below.

A soldier from Earth crash lands on an alien world after sustaining battle damage. Eventually, he encounters another survivor, but from the enemy species he was fighting. They band together to survive on this hostile world.
                The exterior shots for that were filmed in Lanzarote
                Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

Funny x

Just entering my brain is Outland another brilliant si fi film anyone... ?
                  Yes I liked it but did you know it drew inspiration from High Noon?

Comment

Yes I liked it but did you know it drew inspiration from High Noon?
                    I thought it may have been by Philip K Dick but not sure. Thanks.
                    Always ready for chat.

Comment

I thought it may have been by Philip K Dick but not sure. Thanks.
                      You might be mixing it up with Blade Runner, that was based on the Dick story, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep.

Comment

Outland was novelised by Alan Dean Foster.

Comment

Originally posted by staffslad View Post
                          Outland was novelised by Alan Dean Foster.
                          So was Alien

Attached Files
                          Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

Alien is one of the few films that was bettered by the sequel, alien(s) was an amazing film
                            Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

Alien is one of the few films that was bettered by the sequel, alien(s) was an amazing film

Aliens was a brilliant sci-fi action film. I saw it at the pictures back in 1986 and it blew me away. Alien is also very good indeed, but trades the all-out action for tension, suspense and shock--it's a slasher set on a spaceship. Sadly, Alien 3 and Alien Resurrection were nowhere near the quality of the first two films imo.

Trog (1970) One of Mommie Dearest herself's last films about a semi-human creature living in a cave. Crawford plays a scientist studying the creature.

Comment

Originally posted by staffslad View Post
                                Aliens was a brilliant sci-fi action film. I saw it at the pictures back in 1986 and it blew me away. Alien is also very good indeed, but trades the all-out action for tension, suspense and shock--it's a slasher set on a spaceship. Sadly, Alien 3 and Alien Resurrection were nowhere near the quality of the first two films imo.

Trog (1970) One of Mommie Dearest herself's last films about a semi-human creature living in a cave. Crawford plays a scientist studying the creature.
                                WE don't talk about Alien resurrection just one of those things we need to move on from. Considering Alien was released five years before my birth I feel it is an iconic movie in many ways for the screen play and character development and the suspense. Aliens makes me laugh but in a good way Michael Biehn... Wow!!! But this is all pre-CGI just a class couple of films.
                                Always ready for chat.

Comment

Working...
                                X