Ad_Forums-Top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

some of my favourite lesser known Sci fi films.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: some of my favourite lesser known Sci fi films.

Some favourite 70s SF films:

No Blade of Grass (1970) Apocalyptic tale of a world starving when all crops fail and the desperate flight of a family from the city to a relative's farm--not often screened for some reason.

Soylent Green (1973) Charlton Heston in a world where overpopulation and environmental pollution have ravaged society. He tracks down the killer of a corporation bigwig and takes time to romance the gorgeous Leigh Taylor Young along the way to discovering the horrific secret of Soylent Green.

The Incredible Melting Man (1977) Gooy FX are the highlight of this one as an astronaut slowly melts while going on a murder rampage.

It's Alive! (1974) Killer baby is tracked down by his dad and the police after leaving the delivery room in a bloody mess. More complex than at first sight.

ZPG (1971) In an overpopulated world the government bans women from having children, forcing couples to instead have creepy robotic dolls. Stars Oliver Reed.

The Omega Man (1971) Charlton Heston as the last man on Earth, with disfigured psychotic mutants as his only company. Based on "I am Legend" by Richard Matheson.

The Final Programme (1973) John Finch as agent Jerry Cornelius in a sometimes psychedelic story of a plot to prevent a group of scientists creating a self-replicating super being. Very odd at times.

Comment

Watched the hugely entertaining Brit sci-fi Kill Command a few days ago. It reminded me of Saturn 3 a bit at times.
      i've always enjoyed the old bad robot genre and some other lesser-known or almost forgotten films are:

Chopping Mall (OK it is a Jim Wynorsky B movie, but it is done very well)
      Black Hole (imagine being stuck in hell with a nasty robot. Very dark Disney effort)
      Red Planet (a military-grade robot with dodgy programming. What could possibly go wrong?)
      Earth Dies Screaming (creepy Cyberman lookalikes that turn humans into zombies)
      Hardware (exceedingly nasty robot that rebuilds itself and kills in nasty ways).

Comment

Chopping Mall is a good one. I have it on a DVD set I bought from the USA.

If you like bad robot movies, have you seen Robowar? It's a cheap Italian Predator/Terminator clone with Reb Brown and his team trying to take out a military robot running amok in the jungle.

Comment

Thanks - will look out for Robowar.

Comment

DAMNATION ALLEY 1977

In a post-apocalyptic world, a group of survivors travel and find other settlements in huge custom designed all terrain vehicles.
            STARS JAN MICHAEL VINCENT AND GEORGE PEPPARD ETC.

DEATH RACE 2000 1975
            In a dystopian future, a cross country automobile race requires contestants to run down innocent pedestrians to gain points that are tallied based on each kill's brutality.

STARS DAVID CARRADINE SYLVESTER STALLONE.

Last edited by darren; 22-05-2017, 14:57.
            FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Robowar is currently on Youtuve. Sorry, I am not sure how to post the link but search for "robowar" and you should find it there.

Comment

Thanks for the heads up. Will Chromecast it later;

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=n973Nxqb5Ts

Comment

Robowar really is a bloody awful film!

A 10th rate copy of Predator, with poor effects, even poorer acting and cheesy 80s synth music!

Comment

I think calling it tenth-rate is really heaping too much praise on it. It is awful, but representative of the stuff coming out of Italy at the time. It is one of my guilty pleasures, though, as it makes me laugh every time I watch it, and it does star Captain America and the mighty Strike Commando himself, Reb Brown.

Comment

Incidentally, I watched Robowar on YouTube, complete with Chinese subtitles, but I see it's available free of charge for Amazon Prime subscribers, along with dozens of other dodgy B-movies!

Comment

I'm going to say Brazil which is an absolutely brilliant film. I guess a little too on the weird side to be mainstream despite the all star cast. I love it all the more because of it.

Comment

This may have come up before...Journey to the far side of the Sun from 1970, a live action Gerry Anderson production.

Comment

First Men in the Moon from 1964, based on the H.G. Wells, about a Victorian-era voyage to the Moon.

Comment

Chosen Survivors from 1974 about a group of people chosen to survive a nuclear attack, who find their shelter is also the home of a colony of vampire bats. This one is quite obscure.

Comment

Robinson Crusoe On Mars - seemed to be on every holiday when I was a man-cub...
                                Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

Working...
                                X