Ad_Forums-Top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

some of my favourite lesser known Sci fi films.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• some of my favourite lesser known Sci fi films.

We all remember the first time we saw starwars, but i was always into sci fi even as a young un.
    Here are some of the films that scared me or fascinated me as a child and i still like to watch regularly.
    What are yours and why?

Dark star, (that beachball alien made me giggle and the delusional bomb is brilliant)

silent running, (a little bit californian hippyish but huey, louey and duey cheating at cards is funny)

west world, (mr Brinner gave me nightmares as a kid)

Logans run, (loved the series spinoff as well)

Battle beyond the stars, (low budget but enjoyable ,nothing at all to do with the Ample valkyrie lady )

Re: some of my favorite lesser known Sci fi films.

I love all of those, Tony. Well, maybe 'West World' not quite so much.

I would add 'Journey to the Far Side if the Sun' and 'Moon Zero Two' to the list.

(Wasn't 'Battle beyond...' famous for lifting footage from another film?)

Comment

Originally posted by Marine Boy View Post
      I love all of those, Tony. Well, maybe 'West World' not quite so much.

I would add 'Journey to the Far Side if the Sun' and 'Moon Zero Two' to the list.

AAAAAAaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!! journey to the farside is the one where they found a planet identical to earth but always out of view who had sent the same mission to our planet.
      that was a weird but brilliant concept, couldnt remember the name. nice one!

THX 1138 is very trippy and Orwellian but its worth a look.

Comment

Originally posted by Marine Boy View Post

The other way around, clips from this were used in another film, Space Raiders.

Comment

Silent Running is one of my favourite films. It's fab.
          Huey, Dewey and Louie were the cutest robots ever.

I also really liked The Thing with Kurt Russell (1982).
          Last edited by kazboot; 29-04-2010, 17:40.
          sigpic
          'Dreams come true if you want them to'

Comment

Spacehunter, Adventures in the Forbidden Zone. (originally in 3D)
            Great fun and about as cheesy as you can get.

Cherry 2000
            The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension.
            And, of course, Flash Gordon: "Gordon's Alive!" from the magnificent Brian Blessed.

"Battle Beyound the Stars " was most memorable for me for Robert Vaughn essentially having lifed his character and lines from "The Magnificent Seven" (as was the entire plot.)
            "It's never too late to have a happy childhood."

Comment

Originally posted by Emettman View Post
              Spacehunter, Adventures in the Forbidden Zone. (originally in 3D)
              Great fun and about as cheesy as you can get.
              Actually saw this at the cinema in 3-D, some of the effects were actually quite good! Best bit of the film by far was turning around and seeing the rest of the audience wearing 3-D glasses, it was hilarious.

Has any one seen a film called 'Hell Comes To Frog Town', I saw it a long time ago and thought it was awful, I checked it out on imdb and see that there are 2 equally as awful sequels.

Comment

I liked the sequel to West World, Future world with Peter Fonda. Capricorn One was good at the time as well. One of my favourites though is The Incredible Melting Man. It was the first AA certificate I got in to see.
                "GAME OVER MAN, GAME OVER"

Comment

Hell comes to Frog Town was pants.

Naked Lunch anyone?

The book is totally unfilmable, so Cronenberg used other Burroughs stories to flesh the movie out. Disjointed (as any Burroughs based movie should be) but quite good

Comment

Liquid Sky anyone?

Comment

Good call
                      Liquid Sky is even further out than Naked Lunch (film, not book)

Comment

Gunhed.
                        WELCOME TO HELL!!!

Comment

Originally posted by vanhelsing View Post
                          Gunhed.
                          Gunhed was quite poor. A better movie that promises giant robot action but then rather fails to deliver is Robot Jox.

When someone said 'liquid sky' I thought they were talking about Damnation Alley!

For great '70s sci-fi you can't beat Sean Connery in a nappy with a floating head spitting out guns in Zardoz!

Comment

Some say there's a movie called Flash Gordon, but I've never heard of it. I grew up watching loads of sci-fi, cant even begin to name them.
                            How about "Contamination", and my old favourite, "Mutant".

Comment

Originally posted by Wil View Post
                              Gunhed was quite poor. A better movie that promises giant robot action but then rather fails to deliver is Robot Jox.

When someone said 'liquid sky' I thought they were talking about Damnation Alley!

For great '70s sci-fi you can't beat Sean Connery in a nappy with a floating head spitting out guns in Zardoz!
                              OOOOHHHH god yes, first saw this in my 1990's slacker period, i remember watching this round my first flat with a bunch of mates drinking mayfield brand lager at a whopping 2.3% ABV. Belting film!
                              Also, last week, i managed to get hold of a video that was the worst space vampire film i ever saw round about the mid 1990's, its so bad its brilliant. called LIFE FORCE

i was starting with shingles when i first saw this one, watching a bizarre film in a high chicken pox fever is certainly interesting

Comment

Working...
                              X