Nostalgia in a shoe!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nostalgia in a shoe!

You probably wouldn’t have gotten though an 80’s or 90’s childhood without at least one pair of Puma or Gola Trainers. They were everywhere.

Of course, every child in the 80’s and 90’s wanted Nike or Reebok trainers, they were the cool trainers, the ones you begged your parents to buy you on bended knee. But what most kids got from parents (apart from the richer ones obviously), were trainers that Mum and Dad TOLD you were even cooler than Nike’s - Gola or Puma trainers – of course they didn’t quite cut it in the playground. But I still look back on those trainers fondly – they got me up trees, into ponds, scored some of my best goals and were worn until they fell apart when I accidentally melted them on the fireplace.

Of course these days the situation is reversed! The Puma and Gola trainers are worn by all the cool kids, and the Nikes / Reeboks are just well… pretty sad. As well all know, retro is in, and modern is well... so 2008, or 2000 and later.

Now - while you were wearing the Puma’s what kind of computer games might you have been playing?

Well, some kind of arcade game of course! Addicted for hours to the space age graphics of Donkey Kong or Sonic the Hedgehog.

Now Puma seem to have had the brainwave of amalgamating these two nostalgic staples from our childhoods into one rather funky looking shoe (and funky is the word)

These trainers - 917s – match their colourful graphic patterns to specific levels in some of the most played 80’s and 90’s video games. Sonic, Super Mario, Luigi or even Bowser get a look in. So you can be nostalgic on two fronts at once. Now all they need to do is to make them taste of sherbert fountains and we’ll be away!

These retro computer game inspired sneakers are scheduled to drop the first week in May on online clothing store ASOS. They cost between £45 and £50 depending on if you want a low or mid / high top.
    Subscribe in a reader

More...
    Do You Remember the 70s, 80s and 90s?
    http://www.DoYouRemember.co.uk

Re: Nostalgia in a shoe!

Originally posted by remember View Post

You probably wouldn’t have gotten though an 80’s or 90’s childhood without at least one pair of Puma or Gola Trainers. They were everywhere.

Of course, every child in the 80’s and 90’s wanted Nike or Reebok trainers, they were the cool trainers, the ones you begged your parents to buy you on bended knee. But what most kids got from parents (apart from the richer ones obviously), were trainers that Mum and Dad TOLD you were even cooler than Nike’s - Gola or Puma trainers – of course they didn’t quite cut it in the playground. But I still look back on those trainers fondly – they got me up trees, into ponds, scored some of my best goals and were worn until they fell apart when I accidentally melted them on the fireplace.

Of course these days the situation is reversed! The Puma and Gola trainers are worn by all the cool kids, and the Nikes / Reeboks are just well… pretty sad. As well all know, retro is in, and modern is well... so 2008, or 2000 and later.

Now - while you were wearing the Puma’s what kind of computer games might you have been playing?

Well, some kind of arcade game of course! Addicted for hours to the space age graphics of Donkey Kong or Sonic the Hedgehog.

Now Puma seem to have had the brainwave of amalgamating these two nostalgic staples from our childhoods into one rather funky looking shoe (and funky is the word)

These trainers - 917s – match their colourful graphic patterns to specific levels in some of the most played 80’s and 90’s video games. Sonic, Super Mario, Luigi or even Bowser get a look in. So you can be nostalgic on two fronts at once. Now all they need to do is to make them taste of sherbert fountains and we’ll be away!

These retro computer game inspired sneakers are scheduled to drop the first week in May on online clothing store ASOS. They cost between £45 and £50 depending on if you want a low or mid / high top.
    Subscribe in a reader

More...
    I totally agree Remember - a great thread indeed with great memories which you sum-up so well in the title and otherwise in the thread!

I am unsure though (if I would've rated puma past Nike in the 1908s/1990s) but now Puma really are going places I find/think - as this little Sports Shop I go in has a contract wit a nearby University's Sports Course Kit/Uniform and on enquiring on other brands Trainer-wise and other Sports-wear the Manager fully convinced me of the fact that your Nike's and Adidas as are really struggling in certain quarters now more than ever!!

80sChav

Comment

remember these ???.....I had some ( with the compass in the heel that broke as soon as you took a step... lol )

Comment

Originally posted by fynger View Post

remember these ???.....I had some ( with the compass in the heel that broke as soon as you took a step... lol )

I do sort of mate yeah! They look like extremely classy plain Nike's etc that we'd wear for PE and pass-off as our School Shoes for the rest of the day!

I can not recall for the life of me their official brand name - if only that Trainer Forum I was a member of was still going .... to find out Lol

80sChav

Comment

Working...
        X