• Show
Clear All

• Re: TV Shows Only You Seem To Remember

THERE WE HAVE COME BACK MRS NOAH.

https://youtu.be/FibwNP5I2Qc?list=PL682D7FF3AE3BF5E6

LOVED ANYTHING MOLLIE WAS IN.

Originally posted by staffslad View Post
    I've been searching my memory for more little-remembered TV series:

Alexander the Greatest: early 70s sitcom about a teenage boy and his family. It may have been shown late but as I was probably 10 or 11 when it was on then it may not have been that late.

Arthur of the Britons: early 70s retelling of King Arthur for children. Very muddy setting, trying to be more accurate to dark ages Britain. Starred Oliver Tobias and may have had a comic strip in Look-in.

Bleep and Booster: five-minute cartoons shown during Blue Peter in the early-mid 70s. Bleep was an alien and booster a boy astronaut.

Casanova '73: risque 1973 sitcom shown late on sundays I think. Starred Leslie Phillips. A bit controversial at the time I recall.

Come back, Mrs Noah: Mollie Sugden starred in a sitcom about a woman accidentally stranded on a British space station. Probably from around mid-late 70s.

Crystal Tipps and Alistair: Slightly trippy early 70s cartoon for children about a girl--Crystal Tipps-- and her dog, Alistair. No dialogue, just music.

Don't drink the Water: after On the Buses ended, Stephen Lewis reprised his Blakey role, this time retiring to Spain. Pat Combs played his sister. Probably circa 1974 or so.

The Family: controversial fly-on-the-wall documentary following the Wilkins family. Ten a penny nowadays but groundbreaking at the time. Around 1974 I would say.

Gangsters: originally a Play for Today production that was spun into 2 series. Violent story of crime in Birmingham. Maurice Colbourne was the hero. Made in mid-70s.
    FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Thanks, Darren, that brought back memories . This had a pretty decent cast and I agree that Mollie was always worth watching. This didn't last long, though. It got a bit of a pasting from the critics at the time, but I didn't think it was too bad.

Comment

Just a bit of info on Pipkins. Pipkins was a follow-up series to Inigo Pipkin, following the death of actor George Woodbridge, who played Inigo Pipkin as the creator of the Hartley Hare etc puppets. It was shown on ITV in the same slot that Rainbow would occupy during its screenings at lunchtime during weekdays.

Comment

I forgot to say that the theme song for 'Inigo Pipkin' was sung by Jackie Lee, who also did the title song for 'Rupert the Bear' and 'The White Horses'.

Anyone remember 'Lift-off with Ayshea' from the early 70s? Ayshea Brough introduced pop acts and sang song requests while dressed in hot pants and go-go boots. There was a resident dance troupe of a pair of identical twin girls--the same twins that were in 'Timeslip'. I think there was a studio audience of children and it was shown in the after-school children's hour on ITV. Similar to the later 'Get it Together'.

Comment

anyone remember this ???

Comment

That clip of Monster Squad brought the memories flooding back, Big Kid. I had forgotten all about this obscure show.

Similar to Monster Squad was 'The Ghost Busters' shown in the UK in 1975 on ITV in the children's hour--on ATV at least. It was live action and starred Forrest Tucker as Kong, Larry Storch as Spencer and Bob Burns as Tracy the gorilla--in gorilla suit. Each week they were given an assignment, Mission: Impossible-style, by Zero via a self-destructing tape recording. There would be a ghost, monster or similar to thwart each week and usually the villan would be in a spooky old house or castle. Like Monster Squad it didn't last long but it was good, slapstick fun and just the job to watch while eating your tea.

Comment

King Arthur And The Square Knights Of The Round Table
                Motor Mouse And Auto Cat
                Archie
                Wait Till Your Father Gets Home
                Soldier And Me
                Jamie

Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

Motor Mouse and Auto Cat was a cartoon, similar in concept to Tom and Jerry if I remember correctly. I think it was shown on the BBC.

Wait till your Father gets Home I really liked a lot. It was shown Sunday lunchtimes in the ATV region. Tom Bosley was great as dad Harry. His wife was Irma, I think, and teenage kids Chet and Alice, and younger son Jamie. Plus his neighbour, Ralph, who was obsessed with rooting out communists. It was The Simpsons for Nixon-era America. Great fun. Aimed at a more mature audience.

I recall Soldier and Me, but not too well. I think Soldier was a Polish boy and called Soldier as his British mate couldn't pronounce his name properly and Soldier was the closest he could get to it. Seem to remember they were on the run for some reason.

Jamie--do you mean Jamie and the Magic Torch, Zabadak, or is this a different programme?

Comment

Different programme - a mini-series: Jamie

Starring the wonderful Aubrey Morris

Attached Files
                    Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

DOESC ANYONE REMEMBER OTT.

IT WAS A SORT OF ADULTISH VERSION OF TISWAS ID NOT HEARD OF IT UNTIL I SAW CLIP OF IT ON A SHOW LAST ABOUT EIGHTIES TV.

https://youtu.be/pteBNgVNYBI

VERY FAMILIAR FACES.
                      FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Originally posted by staffslad View Post
                        That clip of Monster Squad brought the memories flooding back.
                        i've got the series on dvd in the house somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
                          DOESC ANYONE REMEMBER OTT.

IT WAS A SORT OF ADULTISH VERSION OF TISWAS ID NOT HEARD OF IT UNTIL I SAW CLIP OF IT ON A SHOW LAST ABOUT EIGHTIES TV.

https://youtu.be/pteBNgVNYBI

VERY FAMILIAR FACES.

used to watch ott. i think it was on late on saturday night.

Comment

The mini-series, Jamie, doesn't ring any bells at all, Zabadak, so possibly it passed me by at the time.

OTT I certainly do remember. Late on Saturday nights on ITV with Chris Tarrant and ex-TISWAS regulars John Gorman, Bob Carolgees and Lenny Henry. No Sally James, sadly. The most infamous part was the balloon dance with Chris etc dancing with only a couple of balloons to cover their modesty. Meant as an adult version of TISWAS, it always seemed to me to be less anarchic and edgy than TISWAS

Comment

Originally posted by zabadak View Post
                              King Arthur And The Square Knights Of The Round Table
                              Motor Mouse And Auto Cat
                              Archie
                              Wait Till Your Father Gets Home
                              Soldier And Me
                              Jamie

got this motor mouse and autocat mini comic / book from when i was a kid.

Attached Files

Comment

remember this cartoon ???

Comment

Working...
                                X