Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: TV Shows Only You Seem To Remember

Originally posted by havasack View Post
    Here's some I don't think have been mentioned yet.........

Clare.... a BBC 'Jonny Jarvis' style evening drama, early to mid 80's about a girl being either adopted or fostered.

Striker.... early/mid 70's kids drama about a young footballer which lead to the tubby kids at school being nicknamed "Soggy". Kind of forerunner to Jossy's Giants.

Kizzy... based on the book "The diddakoi", eraly/mid 70's kids drama about a young gypsy girl.

The Changes.... sci fi adventure series from the 70's about a girls adventures in an England where all electronics and machines are evil. (can be now watched in entirety on youtube).

Also while I'm on, can anyone remember public information style films from the 70's focusing mainly on Castles where the camera work would often involve shots 'running' at the walls etc to mimick skirmishes etc but would always finish with a shot a family picnicing or strolling through a meadow ?
    I remember them all except Clare.
    I liked Striker; I think he had to keep it secret that he liked football, as his dad had been a pro footballer, who'd had to retire after breaking his leg, but of course, dad found out, and ended up managing the team, I think?

The Changes - God, that scared the life out of me! I seem to remember the heroine being called Nicky Gore, and as you say, all the machines and electrical equipment turned evil. Nicky tracked the source of it all to a talking rock in a cave, I think. Put me off sci-fi for life!
    Last edited by Tortie; 19-03-2013, 20:00. Reason: Spelling mistake

Comment

Does anyone else remember Jossy's Giants a BBC Kids show from the late 80's? It was about a kids football team that were pretty rubbish. Jossy had to turn their teams fortunes around.

Does anyone remember Around the Bend? It was on ITV some time in the 80's. It's was a show like spitting image for kids. Some of the cartoons were Wee Man and possibly Lantern Jaw? I think they also had John Craven as a potato with eyes. Forgive me if this is wrong. I loved that show. Some of the jokes were quite close to the knuckle kids.

Comment

There are a number I could mention:
        'Chico and The Man'- early '70s American sitcom about an amiable black guy working for a grouchy old white redneck; they had a sort of 'love / hate' relationship. First broadcast in '72.
        'The Changes'- broadcast on BBC1 in '75, and typical of the dystopian 'urban collapse' TV series's of the 1970s. Based on Peter Dickinson's book 'The Weathermonger', it focuses on the UK being hit by a psychic pandemic in which most people suddenly come to believe that all machines are works of witchcraft and embark upon an orgy of mechanical destruction before fleeing to France to escape the sickness. Only a very few are left unaffected, one such being schoolgirl Nicky, who falls in with a group of Sikhs travelling across country in an old double-decker bus. The final upshot is that the affliction has been caused by ancient Arthurian sorcerer Merlin, trapped in a giant quartz rock Centuries before by Morgan le Fay in a cavern in darkest Wales- an eccentric old scientist is misguidedly trying to help him forget his woes by keeping him hooked on drugs. Nicky persuades him to go 'cold turkey', which results in his own destruction but the salvation of the country. Much of the underground scenes were filmed in Clearwell Caves near the Forest of Dean, which still has the fibreglass base of 'Merlin's Rock'!
        Three early '80s sitcoms:
        'Leave It To Charlie'- set in the offices of a Northern insurance company.
        'Astronauts'- seriously unfunny series about the first British manned mission into space.
        'Dead Ernest'- a bit funnier than most, about a guy called Ernest who dies and goes to Heaven. It turns out that he isn't actually dead per se, but he was an organ donor who's kidneys have gone to save the life of a London bus conductor, so he's stranded in Heaven, which is very different to what most people imagine- access is by escalator, the Archangels are all like Butlins redcoats, and 'rainbow chasing gear' consists of a fishing net with a pair of wellies!!
        'The Brack Report'- deeply unsettling psycho-drama about Government cover-ups about safety in a nuclear power-station.
        'Bizarre'- very early '80s US comedy sketch programme, much of it v. rude- broadcast very late as a result.
        'Zed Shed'- patronising agony programme for children and youngsters, presented by Noel Edmonds in the late '70s in which youngsters were invited to submit their problems for resolution. Most of the answers given were stupid.
        'Levka's Man'- TV dramatisation of a Hammond Innes thriller set in & around the Greek islands; broadcast around 1984.
        'Don't Ask Me'- popular 'scientific answers to everyday problems' series aired around 1980, presented by Magnus Pike, Rob Buckman and Miriam Stoppard. Quite interesting, a sort of non-comedy version of 'QI'- only annoyance was Stoppard flaunting her heavily pregnant belly at every opportunity ("Look at me, I'm a pregnant doctor!".... So WHAT??!)
        ....if I remember any more, I'll add them on.

Comment

Originally posted by Tortie View Post
          I remember a good few of them
          The Pogles were little animated characters who lived in a hole in a tree. The young boy of the family was called Pippin, and his best friend was a squirrel called Tog.

I can't remember whether Noggin the Nog was actually animated or just stills? I do remember it though.

The one I really draw a blank on was from the same era as The Pogles. It was called Busy Lizzie, about a little girl who always wore a dress with a flower on it. The flower was a magic wishing flower, and she was allowed either three or four wishes. He first wish was always to make her little Eskimo doll, called Little Mo, come alive, and they had lots of adventures, when having wishes come true came in very handy. Then she would always forget how many wishes she's had, and make one too many, and Little Mo would always go back to being a doll again.
          Nobody I talk to can remember it, but whistl clearing my dad's house last year, I found a very old copy of a Pippin Summer Special comic, and lo and behold, inside, there were storeis about Busy Lizzie, The Pogles, Mary, Mungo & Midge!
          Noggin the Nog was sort of half stills, half animation - it was made by Peter Firmin of Ivor The Engine fame. Noggins nemesis was Nogbad the Bad and he had a a big black bird called Draculus and a love interest called (I believe) Princess Nooka.
          I adored Mary Mungo & Midge - narrated by Richard Baker! Favourite episode was Midge in the chocolate bar dispensing machine.

I remember Pippin comic, but very vaguely - I was a Twinkle girl - and while the name Busy Lizzie and Mo ring a slight bell, I have no recollection of the programme.

I can still remember Andy Pandy's song about his goldfish -

" 2 little fishes going splash splash splosh
          one called Tish and one called Tosh
          That one's Tosh, this ones's Tish
          Those are the names of my 2 fish "

Comment

oh yes jossys giants that i loved.
            pretty sure there was a grange hill actor in it.

Originally posted by chrisino View Post
            Does anyone else remember Jossy's Giants a BBC Kids show from the late 80's? It was about a kids football team that were pretty rubbish. Jossy had to turn their teams fortunes around.

Does anyone remember Around the Bend? It was on ITV some time in the 80's. It's was a show like spitting image for kids. Some of the cartoons were Wee Man and possibly Lantern Jaw? I think they also had John Craven as a potato with eyes. Forgive me if this is wrong. I loved that show. Some of the jokes were quite close to the knuckle kids.
            FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Originally posted by chrisino View Post
              Round the Bend was excellent, I didn't realise they had done 3 series. As you say, some of the jokes were very close to the knuckle but I think that is what made it so good.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Round_the_Bend

Comment

Episodes of 'Round The Bend' can be viewed here : http://www.tonyhusband.co.uk/rtbvideowall.html
                Heaven knows I'm miserable now.

Comment

Baileys Bird

It was on in the 'Southern' region on a saturday morning around 1979-1980.........there was only one series though so it's not surprising no one else has heard of it.

Comment

I've heard of it, used to watch that.
                    The only thing to look forward to is the past

Comment

Originally posted by HG View Post
                      I've heard of it, used to watch that.
                      That's a first HG! Click image for larger version

Name:	smiley-shocked032.gif
Views:	6
Size:	981 Bytes
ID:	260358, I don't know ANYONE else who remembers it.

I posted one months ago but had no luck......are you sure you don't remember this one?

Comment

It does look familiar actually The first few seconds of the intro definitely rings bells, can't remember anything about it though. Looks like a school holiday series!
                        The only thing to look forward to is the past

Comment

Originally posted by HG View Post
                          It does look familiar actually The first few seconds of the intro definitely rings bells, can't remember anything about it though. Looks like a school holiday series!
                          It was on during the school holidays but I'm talking about 1971-72, and I don't know how old you are HG so I'm being careful about what I'm saying

Comment

Originally posted by themilkman View Post
                            Baileys Bird

It was on in the 'Southern' region on a saturday morning around 1979-1980.........there was only one series though so it's not surprising no one else has heard of it.
                            It has been mentioned before and I posted a picture of an annual somewhere on the forum
                            Heather

Comment

Here it is

Click image for larger version

Name:	bb.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	260360
                              click to Enlarge.
                              Heather

Comment

Originally posted by Heather74 View Post
                                Here it is

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3716[/ATTACH]
                                click to Enlarge.
                                Thanks for that Heather, I should imagine that annual is quite hard to come by.

Tbh, I'm very surprised that there was one available, the series wasn't that popular...........unless that's an Australian only edition? Click image for larger version

Name:	smiley-confused013.gif
Views:	5
Size:	4.4 KB
ID:	260361

Comment

Working...
                                X