Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TV Shows Only You Seem To Remember

There are a few TV shows that only I seem to remember:

Virtual Murder - Very quirky series about investigating unusual crimes, a bit like Jonathan Creek but not quite there. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_Murder

Anne's Bar - Channel 4's sitcom about Britain's youngest PM. I remember getting though the first episode & being totally baffled by it, as there were so many characters with hardly any introduction. A sort of Drop The Dead Donkey meets Yes Minister without the things that made either of those shows special.

The other is a long shot & doesn't quite fit, but it worth mentioning. It was an American telemovie about the outbreak of a nuclear war in which the President is missing presumed dead in the first strike & the general running NORAD takes command, only to find that the president is not dead just blinded.
    The Trickster On The Roof

Re: TV Shows Only You Seem To Remember

Superdogs, it was a bit like Crufts, was on BBC1 for a couple of years in the 90s.

Comment

It's amazing how many blank looks I get when I mention 'Captain Zep - Space Detective'. I loved this in the '80s.

Then there's 'Tales Of The Gold Monkey' and 'Dodger, Bonzo And The Rest' as well.
      "We're the Sweeney son, and we haven't had any dinner!"

Comment

I see some lads that i've known since I was about 17 every couple of months for a beer and a catch up. We always cover the same subjects. Films, football, nostalgia. They are a couple of years younger than me and can't remember Hatty town, The Magic ball or Dynomutt, dog wonder.
        "GAME OVER MAN, GAME OVER"

Comment

Captain Zep could be on my "Good sounding TV shows I never got to see" list, I've seen a few stills in a BBC year book that show that it used a lot of blue screen techniques.

Comment

No-one else apart from me ever seems to remember "The Pondles". It was a kids' cartoon series on CITV around 1988 about these small green-blue creatures that lived in a hidden world inside the hedge at the bottom of a man's garden. The opening sequence had the garden owner narrate about how down at the bottom of his garden, there was a hedge in which lived The Pondles, then the story would revolve around whatever was happening in The Pondles' world. I still remember the end theme tune really clearly, but don't remember any specific stories.

Oh yes, and there's a few others I always get blank looks when I mention...

Our House- early 80s kids' show with the Madness song as the theme tune

Under the Same Sky- CITV show about danger in the natural world in various European countries, with each episode focusing on kids getting into a nasty situation in a chosen country.

The Blunders- Cartoon series about a family called The Blunders who IIRC were always having accidents.

Creepy Crawlies- Stop-motion puppet series on CITV around 1987, about a gang of creepy crawlies; narrated by Paul Nicholas who also sang the memorable theme tune.

Comment

'Our House' is really called 'Dodger, Bonzo And the Rest'. I made the same mistake Blitzkid!
              Heaven knows I'm miserable now.

Comment

I remember The Blunders was narrated by Frankie Howerd, & in one episode Mr Blunder showed himself to be a daft as his son at a parents evening.

Comment

Chockablock - early-mid 80's children TV programme - I finally realised I wasn't making it up when I found it on Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnWcm5dr45s

And Body Talk (least I *think* that was the name) - a series of short informative films about how the body works, with cartoons too. Nobody seems to remember this but I swear it existed!!

Comment

I remember 'Chockablock' - "Chockabloke, checking out!" - It replaced 'Pipkins'.

When I was a student in Colchester in the early-to-mid '90s, there was a show exclusive to the Anglia region which was a dating show hosted by David 'Kid' Jensen, it was on during a week night (possibly Mondays), and they always had two guests in the studio looking for love, and a number of videos of others talking about themselves and also looking for love. Viewers who liked what they saw could ring in. There were other little features and so on, and it was strangely compelling viewing. The theme tune was ELO's 'Sweet Talking Woman'. For ages recently I tried to remember the name of this show, and I recently found out it was called 'Love Call'. Anyway, I'm probably the only one who remembers that show.

Comment

The Enchanted Castle - remember being errr enchanted by this around 1980ish - haven't seen it since
                      Who Sir? Me Sir? - a CBBC from about 1985 all about a group of kids that wanted to participate in a pentathalon....main character was Whoomee - because he kept saying the title to teachers.
                      Children's Island - Robinson Crusoe with kids set in WW2 - they had the presidents son looking for them

Comment

Here's another one - 'Break In The Sun', a six-part 1981 BBC childrens' TV drama about schoolgirl Patsy Bligh who moved from Margate to London with her mother and cruel stepdad (played by Brian 'Terry The Chef' Hall). I remember that the drama was all about Patsy running away from home to Margate to the house of an elderly woman who was a former neighbour who she had got on well with. At one point she joined the crew of a sailng boat called 'Escapade'. When she reached the elderly woman's house it turned out she had died and there was a new family living there. At that point the stepdad caught up with Patsy, and the series finished with a showdown at Bembom Brothers (as it was called then) theme park in Margate. I'd like to see this on DVD, but it's probably not well remembered enough to be released.

Comment

I remember Who Sir? Me Sir? There was a running joke about a boy who would always miss the target at archery & hit something he shouldn't.

Comment

Kit Curran Radio Show. It was on in the early 80s yet no-one else my age seems to remember it

Comment

Another show I can remember from the early 1980s but can find no trace of is Roger The Dog Show.

I'm fairly certain in was part of the BBC's children's line up about 1980-1, but otherwise my memory is slightly fuzzy.

Most characters were puppets (Roger looked very much like Rolf from The Muppet Show) & ones used to tell jokes of the "What do vegetarian canibals eat? Swedes!" ilk.

Comment

Working...
                              X