Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Glue

Originally posted by stuckinthe80's View Post
    Can you remember the glue pens that had a sort of hard plastic nib on the end that you pressed down on what you wanted to glue and a spot of the glue came out?
    Yes I do the more glue you wanted the longer and harder you pressed ,it came out in a liitle pool at the end of the nib
    You could also get Tippex pens which worked in the same way.
    Heather

Comment

I remember using those white spreaders that over years of use were caked in rubber glue. That stuff had a really weird smell to it, like watery or something.

I once got really light headed in high school when using a glue gun. I always thought it was pretty cool how the plastic tube you inserted could be heated and be squirted out as glue. There was nothing cool about feeling crappy when using it in a none ventilated area.

Comment

Originally posted by Sly View Post
        I remember using those white spreaders that over years of use were caked in rubber glue. That stuff had a really weird smell to it, like watery or something.

I once got really light headed in high school when using a glue gun. I always thought it was pretty cool how the plastic tube you inserted could be heated and be squirted out as glue. There was nothing cool about feeling crappy when using it in a none ventilated area.
        yes i got sick a few timesusing those glue guns.
        it got so light heaed i had to ask the teacher to open the window.
        id rather use prit stick anyday.
        FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

I loved peeling glue off tables and chairs, especially in the art room until the teacher found out. lol
          I didn't like pritt stick that much cos you couldn't peel it.

Comment

Was it true that the strength of 'super glue' was eventually weakened due to 'jokers' spreading some on a public loo seat somewhere in London and a businessman was glued to the bowl and became trapped, so only his screams led to the Fire Brigade coming and cutting the bowl off and taking him to hospital to be surgically removed from the seat....?

Sounds funny and ridiculous but is it an urban myth or some validity to it? My Mum and Dad used to mention it whenever the topic or usage of superglue came up between us...yes, odd convos in our house back then....

Comment

Originally posted by tonyfinster View Post
              Never saw affixofix, my schools glue came in 5 varieties,

PVA, the white stuff that smells sickly sweet and dries on the brush like steel
              Gloy came in some triangle bottle with a rubbish applicator on the top
              Copydex Smelt fishy but we used to smear it on our hands and peel it off like skin to gross out the girls
              Cowgum very solventy but we found that it could be shaped when tacky into very bouncy rubber balls
              Pritt always to be found in the teachers desk top drawer
              omg!!!.........I used to love peeling copydex off my fingers.

Comment

Re: Affixofix Glue / Paste

Originally posted by The Low Country View Post
                Does anyone remember Affixofix Glue?
                I remember that paste! And its gorgeous smell. I did not remember the name, but certainly the aroma. Although it tasted vile. Yes, I was one of the thousands who no doubt tried. It was exotic aroma-wise and only matched by a treat from the local bakery. A "maid of honour" almond and raspberry pastry.
                It was rubbish adhesive, except for paper. Even then it had some strange habits. It sort of broke up into hard little blocks on the surface and you could throw it away if you ever left the lid off overnight. I have been searching the internet for an image of the little pale blue lidded pot with spatula, but sadly to no avail. Affixofix paste I shall have to remember that name! Thanks for reminding me!

Comment

I remember pva and pritt stick.

Also glue guns think they where clear plastic.

One i cant remember it had such overpowering scent i remember people sniffing it it would getu high.
                  FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Sorry to be late to the party, but we were in a shop today, saw glue spatulas and the memory went back to the tubs of glue, almond scented, wax covered and in small blue pots. Had to find out the name, hit search and found this thead. Dare I suggest the denture sounding GripFix was the name of this product? If I recall correctly it was sold by Woolworth?

Comment

Why did Copydex smell fishy? Was it due to some sort of chemicals that they used at the factory where they made it?

My father went to WHSmith many years ago when I wanted a Pritt Stick, and he got his words mixed up and asked the assistant for a Dip Stick.
                      I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
                      There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
                      I'm having so much fun
                      My lucky number's one
                      Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Copydex smelt 'fishy' because it had ammonia in it, it was used to stabilize the water/latex mix that it was made of.

Comment

Originally posted by Gothic View Post
                          Copydex smelt 'fishy' because it had ammonia in it, it was used to stabilize the water/latex mix that it was made of.
                          I remember my class using it at school & the classroom stinking of it!
                          The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

My late dad used to be a travelling salesman and one of the things he had to try and offload was Pritt...
                            Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

I have thought of ammonia as what window cleaners used for cleaning windows, not sticking things together.

A kid in my class put a pasting brush full of glue in somewhere that I would rather not want it to be put, thank you very much. The teacher who saw it happen invited him to pay the dry-cleaning bill, but managed to opt out of doing so.
                              I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
                              There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
                              I'm having so much fun
                              My lucky number's one
                              Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by The Low Country View Post
                                Does anyone remember Affixofix Glue? Not that I'm into sniffing glue or anything but it smelt just like almond, really nice. It came in a small round pale blue and white tub. Inside the lid was a little spatula that you used to get the white coloured glue paste out of the tub. It was fab stuff and my mum alway bought it for us to do our paper gluing with as it didn't spill and wasn't messy.
                                I absolutely remember this paste in a pale blue tub with the spatula and the smell from working on crafts at my Grandmother's house early in the 1970s in Manchester. Every so often I smell something similar and it transports me back. I never knew the smell was almonds. I don't remember the name Affixofix and I can't find a single reference to that name on the internet at all, which is very unusually, how confident are you that this is the correct name? I would love to find something that smelled close to the same as the glue paste in the blue tub just for the memories it would invoke!

Comment

Working...
                                X