Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: C.B Radio

Originally posted by daryn View Post
    I have just sold a cobra 148 gtl dx but still have 2 left amongst other radios,i started at 14 with a colt 510 im 42 now but always loved them . ,we used to have a network on low band or grave yard as it was known then ,ahhhhhhhhh the good old days.
    ..maybe we should plug them back in,hush,hush!!....
    "poor is the man who's pleasures depend on the permission of another"

Comment

Great to read this post! really brought back memories!
      I was silver tiger and lived in winsford cheshire, i had a few rigs but my fave two were my cobra 148gtl dx and i also had The Ham Jumbo, had a 60ft mast in the garden with a moonraker 4 quad and a starduster on it! go that used to sway in the wind, used it with a Bremi BRL500 linear amp and a Turner Expander 500 mike! anyone remember them?
      did anyone ever go on one of those cb convoys to wales? what a laugh, all in cb body warmers with patches all over and eyeball badges! we must have looked a sight but the amount of friends we had! it was fab, great times, great memories!
      i could go on and on! recently thought about getting a superstar 3900 new, bit of nostalgia or a midlife crisis? hehe! great to hear from you all!

Andy

Comment

Originally posted by Silver Tiger View Post
        Great to read this post! really brought back memories!
        I was silver tiger and lived in winsford cheshire, i had a few rigs but my fave two were my cobra 148gtl dx and i also had The Ham Jumbo, had a 60ft mast in the garden with a moonraker 4 quad and a starduster on it! go that used to sway in the wind, used it with a Bremi BRL500 linear amp and a Turner Expander 500 mike! anyone remember them?
        did anyone ever go on one of those cb convoys to wales? what a laugh, all in cb body warmers with patches all over and eyeball badges! we must have looked a sight but the amount of friends we had! it was fab, great times, great memories!
        i could go on and on! recently thought about getting a superstar 3900 new, bit of nostalgia or a midlife crisis? hehe! great to hear from you all!

Andy

Never went to Wales, but I did go on one to Brighton once. Great fun. My brother had a mate who had a very similar set up to yours. Wasn't the Ham Jumbo technically illegal, as it allowed you to broadcast on AM and SSB frequencies? Anyway, we were able to pick up his broadcasts all the way down to about Crawley on sidebands because he was broadcasting from Highgate and and had such a tall twig.

Thems were the days!
        Official archivist: , July 24 2010 Guardian Technology.

Comment

Originally posted by gavin.k View Post
          Ok how many of you remember the great days of am cb radio ? Mine started in Hull in 1982 with my very first pegasus 3 120 channel radio, an SWR meter, a power pack and an aerial stuck on the top of a biscuit tin. I was 15 years old and could not believe this world I had suddenly connected into. we would stay up all night just talking to each other about harrington jackets or fishtail parkas ?, mods and rockers, was boy george really a puff (gay was not in the vocabulary then) and who had the most powerful rig (those who were lucky enough to own a cobra 148GTLDX with roger bleep were to be looked up to) We all tended to own eyeball badges, mine had flashing red led's just to emphasise the fact i was a cb'er ! There i was 15 years old with my harrington jacket covered in secret affair, madness and the who badges, jeans so tight that my hairs must have been sticking through them, just a hint of lipstick and eyeliner and wedge haircut that covered my right eye so rendered me partially sighted, riding around on my raleigh grifter with a car battery strapped to it and my pegasus 3 blaring out "eyeball eyeball, 1 4 a copy and is anyone out there? " So that was me, Hound dog the cb'er. Those were the days. If by any chance any of you out there were in the Hull area and remember my "handle" you may also remember a lady breaker called polo cruncher who through the miracle of radio waves became (and still is) my wife I hope that this has broght some fond memories to some of you and I would love to hear some of your responses

hi there i am using CB radio today and am trying to get radios to be on air again i am managing to get there slowly i am in the bridlington area not so far from hull and i do own a pegasus 3 radio and am having it all repaired and tuned up very well and got 2 fm modulator board going in it to so it will perform am/fm-uk/fm-eu lol. my next move is a cobra 148 gtl will get there in end hope to hear some feed back

Comment

I remember in the 1980s seeing the thick rubber aeriels on cars. I didn't know anyone who had one then, then my best friend's Dad who liked his gadgets didn't have one.

Until a few years ago there was a CB shop in Stockport on the A6, it's now closed up but it still has the facia.

I guess the spread of in-car & mobile phones took away all but the hardcore users.

I still see plenty of lorries with their callsign on the front.
            The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Used to be on cb radio many years ago.Lived on a high hill with an 18ft dipole on the roof.Had a good range.But the rise of idiots playing music and with cb becoming legal(albeit with the necessity of a £10 licence) It became dull and boring.I used to have 100 people on my friends list who i would chat to.met loads of girls through it too.My dad still has some equipment.I sold my set up.It has been surpassed by mobile phones and the internet.However i can still see the point of truckers using it.
              sigpic

Comment

Hi all Just come across this site while looking for info on my tristar 747,
                i have been using CB radio since 1972 when my dad had 1 in this truck 1 of the first 10 in the UK,
                there where about 50 drivers that used them up until the film Convoy then every 1 wanted them
                there was a mass demand most of them where smuggled in via Ireland and Spain
                my first was an old midland 1001 then in 1979 i got a new midland 4001 and a k40 Ariel this was the mutts nuts and i reckon better than any other built today,
                i have been looking for 1 on flea bay for about a year now
                hope to get 1 from the usa then get it converted to uk fm

its a long lonly road without a CB

Comment

Originally posted by memoman View Post
                  It has been surpassed by mobile phones and the internet.
                  But unlike phones and the net it seemed a lot more exciting back then. Even though the people you spoke to and listened in on were pretty local it was like you were in on some secret underground movement. It didn't last long but it was good fun.

Comment

just got me a uk fm midland 4001 with original mike
                    all i need now is a K40 with magmount at a resonable price ,so i can get out a decent distance ,
                    currently using a mini stinger range between 3 and 8 miles pretty carp by the old Am standards of 25 miles +

Comment

I never had one myself,and neither did any of my school mates.I think it was around 1981 when C.B's hit my area,and became the latest craze,driven not by children,but by adults involving children.The adult leader of the new sudden craze of C.B's,was a local man who was notorious for being the guy who had to be the first who discovered everything,and controlled it all with absolute power,once he had set the new craze/scheme up.All the children involved,were mysteriously convinced,he had started the C.B craze in britain,and it was not long before he started a C.B club,and instructed all the children to go on C.B's,in order to listen and chat.The guy asked all the child club members,to infiltrate private conversations they came across on the C.B's,and if anyone swore,the children were to interupt the private conversation,and start shouting angry accusations at the people swearing.The accusations always revolved around the words: '' There are children listening! '' Etc.Of course,people who carried on swearing,were blacklisted and stalked on the C.B channels after that,by the children and adults of the club,until they were driven off using their C.B's.
                      The guy's C.B club was forced to close down,because one of it's adult members started holding meetings at his home,and caused a bit of a stir,which reflected badly on the main club.I personally went to two or three of these meetings in his council house,and they were nice,friendly and decent....Until the man's wife decided she wanted to leave him for a man she was having an affair with.She made an accusation that her husband was * You Know?! *,with one of the school girls.That resulted in a C.B war in my area,where the airwaves were full of nasty gossip etc.Eventually,all the clubs closed down and everyone sold their C.B's because of it all.
                      It was a real shame that so much fun,was totally destroyed by a couple of individuals in my area.

Comment

yeah my dad had a c.b in his car...renault 5 i think, we used to drive up to top of valleys mountain and talk to people. my handle was "half-pint"..i was only 9 years old at time.... but i thought it was great.

you'd contact someone and then agree on a certain channel...the suspense of it all..pretty tense stuff..clicking the dial and then actually making contact...it was great fun before going back to my nans house for a cup of tea that had tea leaves at the bottom of the cup eh :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Wil View Post
                          But unlike phones and the net it seemed a lot more exciting back then. Even though the people you spoke to and listened in on were pretty local it was like you were in on some secret underground movement. It didn't last long but it was good fun.
                          C.B's were a big craze for a while.I used to enjoy it in a way that was spoilt by legalisation.People used to act the pratt and it spoilt it.Nearly everyone now has a mobile phone and the internet.CB's are rare now.More suited to lorry drivers as most people have moved on.Good while it lasted.We could reach 18 miles plus with an 18ft bottom dipole high up on a hill.It was a good way to make new friends.
                          sigpic

Comment

I just remember the Convoy song, it seemed too complicated to learn the lingo. Oh yeah, DLT was 'Laurie Lingo' in the spoof wasn't he?

Comment

Until I read it's Wikipedia entry & a site of CB jargon & could hardly understand Convoy, though it's fun to listen to in it's own way.
                              The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

My handle was 'Power Pack'. I was on it about a year and used to listen to 'Tarzan' and 'Paper Tiger' talking every day. They were pure quality, possibly surreal! I even taped them one time when Tarzan was singing 'I Love only One Girl' to her. It was like a soap opera.

'Convoy' was what it was.....but it was infinitely better than the Radio 1 DJ's Spin off version which annoyed me severely.

Comment

Working...
                                X