C.B Radio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: C.B Radio

CB radio, and indeed many other forms of Radio are still alive and kicking!!

If you want to get back into the hobby, why not join us over on http://www.transmission1.co.uk/forum/

Hope to catch you all soon "good buddies"

Comment

My dad had one in the car.We thought it was so cool.I remember going to Bourmouth with some cousins and we communicated with CB.It was great,can't remember the handle though.

tulip

Comment

Originally posted by Wil View Post
        But unlike phones and the net it seemed a lot more exciting back then. Even though the people you spoke to and listened in on were pretty local it was like you were in on some secret underground movement. It didn't last long but it was good fun.
        It didn't last long becuase it became legal in the UK and that's when it lost the glamour and cult underground status.
        Smokey And The Bandit anybody?
        WELCOME TO HELL!!!

Comment

Also by the mid 1980s car phones were becoming cheaper.
          The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by rokerbloke View Post
            it all went down hill when them fm legal ones come out i used to have an old cobra with upper and lower side band then went legal for awhile with a a rotel rvc 240 soon went back to the cobra though
            Snap!! The good old Rotel RVC 240 with the delta tune where it took you half a k off frequency up or down lol I still have a Skiptech HS2000 handheld and Fidelity 3000 homebase. I use a K40 on my hatchback and a Midland Shortstick on the house.

The eighties was the boom on 27mhz fm
            sigpic
            Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

Sadly I was never interested in C.B Radio until years later and a friend introduced me to it (in a odd roundabout way). I sure would of loved to of been "on the scene in the 1980s" with them. Though I am only talking the late 1990s that I got into C.B's it still holds that magic compared to the internet. Why I am unsure!!?, may-be because it's even more easy to talk (in particular in odd voices). In a great way you can be even more "unknown" on C.B than the internet I think - though to find a good make is another story in itself too!!

Comment

I think it is the underground element to CB radio that appeals the most. In the US the police still monitor Ch9 I believe. I have seen on these police pursuit footage reality tv programmes where the police are pursuing a bandit (Hence the term Smokey & the Bandit ) & radio ahead on Ch9 to a truck asking the driver to block the approaching car. Nearest to that in the uk is when a 'Joe Public' assists the police in a T-Pac hard stop. Especially when the police only have two police vehicles available & not the preferred three vehicles. On BBC's Traffic Cops there was one occassion a T-Pac was unavailable so one police car performed a hard stop alone.

http://www.gloucestershire.police.uk.../item11954.pdf

Click link for Gloucestershire Constabulary's Pursuit Policy Document which covers rules & regulations concerning when to continue a pursuit & when to abandon
                sigpic
                Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

Working...
                X