Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Better or worse Cover songs?

Originally posted by Trickyvee View Post
    One of my faves is 'Always on my mind' by the Pet Shop Boys. I think a lot of the time it depends on which version you come across first. I'm still discovering cover versions that I always thought were original songs.
    Yeah defenitly ... this is a brilliant one, sums up the 80s so well too!

Comment

Earth Wind & Fire's version of the Beatles "Got to get you into my life"
      Far superior

Comment

With A Little Help From My Friends by Wet Wet Wet was good as The Beatles version I think. Though compare it to their version of "Yesterday"I just did'nt rate it at all and this is coming from a very very very ardent Wet's fan who hates them having any criticsm!

Comment

Same topic but slightly off topic too. People who release songs using 'old backing tracks'. Nancy Sinatra's 'You Only Live Twice' was stolen by, I think, Robbie Williams. Many bands have stolen classic tracks to make a chart hit, Small Faces comes to mind.

Comment

Originally posted by 80sChav View Post
            With A Little Help From My Friends by Wet Wet Wet was good as The Beatles version I think. Though compare it to their version of "Yesterday"I just did'nt rate it at all and this is coming from a very very very ardent Wet's fan who hates them having any criticsm!
            Joe Cockers was the best of the best of the covers

Comment

Telegram Sam - Bauhaus

Infinitely superior

Comment

M Peoples Itchycoo park - Infinitely Superior to the very dross 60s original from small faces.
                Mariah Carey - Without You - showed much more passion than Nilssons original which had no soul to it.
                Rod Stewarts version of The First cut is the deepest was better than Cat Stevens.
                Just 3 off the top of my head.
                Think generally the first version of a song you hear is what you prefer...

Comment

Good:
                  Rammstein - Stripped (Depeche Mode)
                  The Sisters of Mercy - Emma (Hot Chocolate), admittedly The Sisters of Mercy have done many cover versions (including songs by Abba, Stevie Nicks to name a few) but this is one of the few that has actually made it onto vinyl via a recording studio.

Awful:
                  The Fields of the Nephilim - In Every Dream Home a Heartache (Roxy Music)

Comment

I prefer Ziggy Stardust by Bauhaus to the David Bowie version. It sounds more exciting to me where the Bowie version sounds a bit 'flat' in comparison.
                    Heaven knows I'm miserable now.

Comment

Good:

The Stranglers - Walk On By

Comment

Robert Plants version of "Sea of Love" was much better than the original but I can't remember who did it.

Comment

westlifes cover of uptown girl by lionel ritchie is very poor.
                          FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

In my mind the two worst cover songs I can think of were both by Devo (though I'm actually a big Devo fan -- it just wasn't their best work):

Satisfaction
                            Secret Agent Man

Comment

Working...
                            X