school milk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: school milk

I didn't mind the milk, but I can relate to those who were put off by it. That funny smell of room temp milk and the dried, crusty bits under the lids or in the crate if any was spilled.

There were always one or two bottles in the crate with a picture printed on like the ones in this thread. Everyone raced to get those!
    1976 Vintage

Comment

Shudders at the thought of dinky glass bottles of school milk,my pet hate.In our primary school it was only the first year or so that got the milk.I can clearly remember the glass bottles and straws pushed through the foil tops.I can also remember the smell,and the sickly sweet taste of warm milk on the verge of going off.And the sickly sweet smell of the bottle tops that they saved for charity or some art project was very churning to the old stomach.I have to agree with a lot of people that the only way I can drink milk these days is ice cold.

Come to think of it we had a girl called julie in my first class in primary school who always smelt of sour milk.shudders......and.......... cringes.

Comment

the milk we got was nice and cold it never got the chance to get to room temperature.

Originally posted by Trickyvee View Post
        I didn't mind the milk, but I can relate to those who were put off by it. That funny smell of room temp milk and the dried, crusty bits under the lids or in the crate if any was spilled.

There were always one or two bottles in the crate with a picture printed on like the ones in this thread. Everyone raced to get those!
        FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

I LOVED my school milk. Occasionally it would be lukewarm, but on the whole I remember it being icy cold - often with actual ice in it! I was a frequent partaker of " seconds" too. Milk in school was SUCH a good idea, the whole point of it was to ensure even the poorest kids got some decent daily nutrition. Dinky glass bottles and straws for us!

Comment

it was so sad when it was done away with.
            it was such a great idea promoting nutrition.
            and everyone got it.

but i always looked forward to it so much.
            loved the bottles it came in straws as well.

real ice cold.
            so tasty.

QUOTE=mazzer;177844]I LOVED my school milk. Occasionally it would be lukewarm, but on the whole I remember it being icy cold - often with actual ice in it! I was a frequent partaker of " seconds" too. Milk in school was SUCH a good idea, the whole point of it was to ensure even the poorest kids got some decent daily nutrition. Dinky glass bottles and straws for us![/QUOTE]

Comment

I remember a brother and sister in school getting extra milk because they were quite small and weedy for their age. I can't help but think it was more to do with genetics than nutrition.
              1976 Vintage

Comment

id say both to be fair.

as milk is high in calcium to make bones stronger.
                the goverment of the time felt it was important for kids to be healthy.

Originally posted by Trickyvee View Post
                I remember a brother and sister in school getting extra milk because they were quite small and weedy for their age. I can't help but think it was more to do with genetics than nutrition.

Comment

Disgusting stuff always on the verge of turning put me off milk for life. worked as a school caretaker a few years ago and was surprised to find this torture still going on.

Comment

you did not like the taste of it.

perhaps the milk you got was somehow different from what i got.
                    mine was gorgeous.

i always looked forward to it so much.

Originally posted by sweep View Post
                    Disgusting stuff always on the verge of turning put me off milk for life. worked as a school caretaker a few years ago and was surprised to find this torture still going on.

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
                      you did not like the taste of it.

perhaps the milk you got was somehow different from what i got.
                      mine was gorgeous.

i always looked forward to it so much.
                      Warm and sour with added crusty bits yum

Comment

Mine always came in a carton, and yes - it was always warm & nasty.
                        I love milk, luckily I wasn't put off for life.

Comment

Has anybody got any good colour photos or video clips from the 1990s of primary school kids drinking milk out of small glass bottles? All the photos I can find on the internet are black and white and must be at least 40 years old.

The milk at my primary school for morning break used to come in small third pint glass bottles with silver tops during the 1990s and they were still in use when I finished school in 2001. Some time since then (2005?) they changed to cartons. I have confirmed that the bottles were used in other schools in the same LEA during the 1990s.

Comment

I remember 1/3 pint bottles on sale at the school canteen when I was in secondary school in 1989, but had changed to cartons by about 1992.
                            The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

They didn't have them at secondary school. Only nursery through to Y2 kids at primary school. I have spent many hours searching through loads of old photos from primary schools in my LEA on Facebook and I couldn't find a single one with the milk bottles in. Neither are there any videos of primary schools in my LEA from the 1990s apart from an odd few school plays.

Comment

I didn't even realise they still gave out milk in schools into the 90's and 00's. Must admit I can't remember seeing those 1/3 pint bottles much after my time in Primary school (mid 80's) so their use must have been pretty rare by then, at least in my area.
                                1976 Vintage

Comment

Working...
                                X