school milk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: school milk

This photo looks quite recent but I have no idea where or when it was taken.

Attached Files

Comment

Where I work has a "book club" that often has other items.

One is a set of small milk bottles in a crate

I found it on Amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vintage-Kitc.../dp/B010AWTAQM
      The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

The milk bottles. Not sure if this is in a school or not.

Attached Files

Comment

School milk put me off milk for about a decade. It would be brought into our class at about 10 past 9 but we weren't allowed to get our carton until after 1st playtime: 10:45. Tepid milk is bad enough but getting a carton that's soured is indescribably awful.

Carton used to have jungle animals on them and there used to fights over the best animals (gorillas, cobras, lions). You always got a slagging if you were left with a giraffe or a zebra.

Comment

Whats tepid milk.

Milk we got was lovely really icy cold and came in small bottles.

Probably the nicest milk i ever had.

I cant remember ever having it in cartons.

We never ever had soured milk cant imagine it tasted nice.
            FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
              Whats tepid milk.

Milk we got was lovely really icy cold and came in small bottles.

Probably the nicest milk i ever had.

I cant remember ever having it in cartons.

We never ever had soured milk cant imagine it tasted nice.

Slightly warm.

Comment

The only people I have encountered who had milk in bottles at primary school in the 1990s went to a school in my locality. Everyone from elsewhere had milk in cartons. I'm now thinking that the small bottles must have been very localised in the 1990s and cartons were the usual packaging.

Comment

While I was at secondary school from 1989 to 1994 they switched from bottles to cartons.

Comment

In the 1950s our school milk was left in crates in the cloakroom and you went and took a bottle. There was no heating the cloakroom, so in winter the milk was frozen in the bottle and you had to chip it out. In summer it got heated by the sun pouring into the cloakroom and the milk was warm. Both experiences put me off drinking milk on its own for life - I still can't drink milk without either flavouring it or having in breakfast cereals.

Comment

I was once milk monitor - then there was THATCHER.
                      http://www.thefawltytowersguide.co.uk

Comment

My primary school must have been somewhat "posh", when the dinky bottles were delivered, they all went in a fridge...so we got lovely cold milk every time. I used to look forward to it, ours was always really nice.

I was milk monitor on several occasions, and even got "praise" my teacher for it. Teacher's pet? Oh noes.... Haha

Comment

Ice cold was the only way to have it even tho it being so cold could give ya a headache

aww teachers pet.

I THOUGHT THE MILK EVERYONE GOT WAS THE SAME.

id have thought the milk all of us got would be the same.
                          Originally posted by retrotechrules View Post
                          my primary school must have been somewhat "posh", when the dinky bottles were delivered, they all went in a fridge...so we got lovely cold milk every time. I used to look forward to it, ours was always really nice.

I was milk monitor on several occasions, and even got "praise" my teacher for it. Teacher's pet? Oh noes.... Haha:d
                          FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Maybe it's down to individual tastes, some people have said theirs was nice, while others say theirs wasn't. I guess some people like cows milk more than others...and then there's those who can't tolerate it.

Originally posted by darren View Post
                            Ice cold was the only way to have it even tho it being so cold could give ya a headache

aww teachers pet.

I THOUGHT THE MILK EVERYONE GOT WAS THE SAME.

id have thought the milk all of us got would be the same.

Comment

I was thinking more on how the milk was being kept before being given to us. I have good memory of our school milk being stacked in crates at the back of the school hall in the very early part of the 70's. In a hot summers day it had already started to spoil before we even got to drink it. The reason why it was warm and sickly to the taste.
                              I doubt if the school had a way of keeping it cool until the late 70's or even the 80's.
                              Thinking back to the late 60's and early part of the 70's many people still kept their dairy produce cold as they could in the pantry. Many houses still did not have fridges, and freezers were fairly scarce. My old primary school probably wasn't much different. They simply just kept the milk out of the sun until they were ready to serve it to us. I expect some hours after being delivered.

Comment

I remember often having milk with school dinners & it seemed to be OK, so either it was kept in a fridge or delivered close to lunchtime.

Comment

Working...
                                X