Stars on Sunday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stars on Sunday

Anybody remember this show? It started with a dreary hymm, and was presented by Jess Yates.'Stars On Sunday' was made by Yorkshire Television, was a religiously themed variety show, a sort of 'Sunday Night At The London Palladium' with hymn books.The show consisted of religious songs performed by artistes dressed in formal evening wear in front of sets which were designed to look like the interior of a huge gloomy mansion. Occasionally a "garden" set was used, which was of course always seen at night. As a kid, I found it to be rather surreal and creepy.

More...

Re: Stars on Sunday

Yes, I remember Jess Yates presenting Stars on Sunday, ITV's contracturally obligated programme for the sunday evening 'God slot'. He would often be seated at an organ, but his presenting career ended when he was revealed to be having an affair with a young actress.

Comment

Before my time - it was indeed made by Yorkshire Television and shown in what later became the "Highway" slot of around 6.40 pm on a Sunday?

I saw a clip of Derek Batey presenting one of those type of programmes - I originally thought that it was made by Border, hence Batey presenting it, but Yorkshire TV did it. An outtake was seen on the third IBAOTN where a camera man was in the view in the background - was that the same programme or a different one? I have in my mind that it was.
      I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
      There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
      I'm having so much fun
      My lucky number's one
      Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
        Before my time - it was indeed made by Yorkshire Television and shown in what later became the "Highway" slot of around 6.40 pm on a Sunday?

I saw a clip of Derek Batey presenting one of those type of programmes - I originally thought that it was made by Border, hence Batey presenting it, but Yorkshire TV did it. An outtake was seen on the third IBAOTN where a camera man was in the view in the background - was that the same programme or a different one? I have in my mind that it was.

Stars on Sunday lasted from 1969 to 1979, though Jess Yates' association with it ended around 1973/1974. It was shown in the same slot that Highway later occupied. I believe that Stars on Sunday had a number of presenters before and after Yates downfall, so I suppose it is possible that Derek Batey worked on it.

Comment

I just had a look on IMDB and Batey actually has a credit for Highway.

Comment

Wasn't Jess Yates, Paula Yates's dad (officially, at least)?

I vaguely recall "Stars on Sunday", and I remember Derek Batey on "Mr & Mrs".

Comment

Originally posted by Clare View Post
              Wasn't Jess Yates, Paula Yates's dad (officially, at least)?

I vaguely recall "Stars on Sunday", and I remember Derek Batey on "Mr & Mrs".
              It was rumoured for a time that it was Hughie Green but I believe that was proved false...
              Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

Originally posted by zabadak View Post
                It was rumoured for a time that it was Hughie Green but I believe that was proved false...

He was, but a DNA test showed that her biological father was Opportunity Knocks presenter, Hughie Green.

Comment

Originally posted by staffslad View Post
                  I just had a look on IMDB and Batey actually has a credit for Highway.
                  An episode from Border TV of course.
                  I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
                  There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
                  I'm having so much fun
                  My lucky number's one
                  Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Working...
                  X