Roland MacLeod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roland MacLeod

Roland MacLeod, perhaps most famously known for his portrayal of the advertising executive Morris Coates in The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin in the 1970's and 80's with Leonard Rossiter, died on 3rd April (2010) at the age of 74. Roland was a friend, and he was originally my English and drama teacher at school in the early 60's on the Isle of Wight. Even then it was obvious that he possessed a natural comedic ability, and when he ultimately left teaching he went straight into acting, a decision that surprised none of us who knew him personally. During the height of his on-screen career he appeared with Marty Feldman and Dick Emery, as well as having a fair innings on Coronation Street, together with many other productions in which he took small character parts. I kept in touch with him over the years, and last autumn out of the blue he phoned me and asked if we could meet up; sadly I was unable to make it, but now, of course, I wish like anything that I had. He was essentially a lovely man who made people laugh - a fine epitaph for anyone I think. God bless you, Roland.

Re: Roland MacLeod

That is a really lovely tribute you have written and looking on IMDB (see link below) he must have worked alongside some true comedy greats such as Rossiter, Eric Sykes, David Jason, John Cleese, the list goes on and on. Thanks for sharing your memory,

www.imdb.com/name/nm0533929

Comment

Re: Roland MacLeod

Thank you for your kind words. The one credit I perhaps should have mentioned about Roland's career was that he appeared with John Cleese in the film A Fish Called Wanda. Yes, he did indeed get to work with many of the "greats" of the 70's and 80's, and it was a privilege to have known him. At school he encouraged my own interest in the theatre which proved pivotal to the involvement in this field I've had for the past 40 years, and in the arts more widely.

Comment

Working...
      X