Things I Used Ceefax For

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Things I Used Ceefax For

This applies to all channel's text pages services but just though I'd list some stuff.

The John Peel Show Tracklistings - back in the 90s I taped his shows and listended to them back at work then I would sit through the pages (usually around 12 of them) writting out the names of the music I liked. Ditto for the BBC Radio 3 show, Mixing It.

Digitizer - Channel 4 daily page dedicated to computer games. Really liked it's humour and for the fact it dropped names like Rob Hubbard. I still remember the new pages were updated at exactly 1:00 AM.

Footy scores on Saturday - seeing the pages tick over and your team's score changes from 0 to 1. Trilling stuff! Kept this on 'Mix' mode where you could watch tele and view the text at the same time.

TV Guide - for when your dad had chucked out/hadn't bought yet the daily newpaper.

Cinema listings - I think this was on C4. The listings were arraned alphabetically so I had to wait until my region came around. Expect 20 pages or so for this one. So sloooow.

The secret pages! - I was convinced that there were pages on Ceefax that I stumbled upon just by randomly hitting page numbers that weren't listed. Some number like 774 which didn't fit into any category but revealed a page for just half a second. Kind of jumbled text in a way but still, I found this intriguing at a young(ish) age and tried to figure out some of the page bit by bit.

Re: Things I Used Ceefax For

TV listings - especially "What's on Now/Next"
    Horoscopes
    Searching for holidays
    Bamboozle!
    Finding random pages
    And of course the main on, being a tad hard of hearing - 888 subtitles

Comment

I used to like the Teletext music & gaming pages for the latest news & letters.

The main motorway diagrams were interesting, with colour coding for roadworks, queues bad weather etc.

I used to like the money saving tips on Super Scrooge in Channel 4.

BBC2 used to have a strange test page of all the characters.
      The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I only ever used it for the news.I loved flicking through the news,local,national and international,while in bed.I have a portable tv,and use to listen to the radio 4 shipping forecast and sailing by when i use to read the ceefax news.

Comment

the thing i most remember about non digital ceefax or oracle (the itv version) was if the aerial was slightly out of position you would have complete gibberish on your screen - coloured squares , numbers and unreadable letters and symbols

Comment

Ah yeah...remember Bamber Bamboozle. He looked like Ron Dixon from Brookside. Brings me back to the times I'd be in my boyfriend's (hubbie's) house when we'd have a game of this after a SonicThe Hedgehog session on the mega drive. When his mother would go to bed we'd have some lurrrvve time.

Comment

i use it for bamboozle,checking whats on.
              sports results and what sport is coming on.
              its on page 389.
              FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Anyone know if there is a computer program that I can use to generate my own CeeFax pages???

Comment

Originally posted by lk_ie View Post
                  Anyone know if there is a computer program that I can use to generate my own CeeFax pages???
                  You could try a BBC micro emulator? Beebem for example.

Comment

Digitiser.

"Stay away from Mr.T's bins!"

"I hate you Lewis. You are an idiot!"

"I cuss you bad man!"

"Moc-moc-a-moc."

"Well sizzle my rear with a hate filled branding iron, I really am the angriest pig of all eternity."

"Well, that sounds like a great idea for a game!"

"We hate everyone equally, man."

"It staggers about like a ginned up tramp."

RIP Digi. You are being missed.

Comment

I used to love the 'Ring-Sir!' prank calls they used to have on Digitiser at the weekends. You could never be sure if they were real or not but they were downright funny anyway, I memorized some of them off by heart and can still remember them now

Comment

Lottery results page 123 or 555.

Comment

Hmm... Pretty much the same as others have mentioned:-

Bamboozle
                          Digitizer
                          GameCentral
                          TV Listings
                          4-Tel/Sbectel
                          etc.

Occasionally I'd go through the pages sequentially to try to find something interesting and unlisted, such as the info/test pages on ITV Teletext 996, 997, and 998

Comment

I also used to try to find some hidden pages, ITV naver used to mention the local 600 pages. There used to be something odd in the 700s section.
                            The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

great stuff used these regular there was also a section called ask nick which I loved.
                              Originally posted by RetroTechRules View Post
                              Hmm... Pretty much the same as others have mentioned:-

Bamboozle
                              Digitizer
                              GameCentral
                              TV Listings
                              4-Tel/Sbectel
                              etc.

Occasionally I'd go through the pages sequentially to try to find something interesting and unlisted, such as the info/test pages on ITV Teletext 996, 997, and 998
                              FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Working...
                              X