Ad_Forums-Top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What were those slip-on shoes called that lads wore in the early 80s?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What were those slip-on shoes called that lads wore in the early 80s?

Hello,

In 1981 and 1982, all of us lads wore these small leather slip-on shoes. They'd be leather, and there wasn't much of them. We loved the way they showed off our white sports socks!!! (How things change, eh?) Some had a pair of tassles on the front.

It was quite funny to see them flying off feet and arcing through the air when lads had fights at school and were trying to kick each other. The result was usually a pair of ruffle-haired lads wandering round the yard picking their shoes up after the fight ended.

We simply called them slip-ons. But did they have a proper name? These were not the tassled 'boaters' that came with frayed leather fronts, often in two colours, in 1986 or so.

I'm just writing about them, but wondered if there was a correct name other than slip-ons.

///Jamo.

What were those slip-on shoes called that lads wore in the early 80s?

Loafers we called them

Comment

Re: What were those slip-on shoes called that lads wore in the early 80s?

Yeah I'd call them loafers too.
      Heaven knows I'm miserable now.

Comment

Re: What were those slip-on shoes called that lads wore in the early 80s?

Pumps probably I'd say OP - given everything has a 20 year Cycle (give or take) and the nameing minutley alters in such Cycles too

80sChav

Comment

Slip-on are normally lace-free, low-cut pumps. A moccasin construction is used in the most traditional form and is known as a loafer or slippers in American culture. Side goring is a less informal, earlier style of slip-on (sometimes called a dress loafer).

Comment

Deffo called loafers in Essex back then.

The cloth slip ons were called Espadrils but they had no tassles.

Comment

Slippers? Or even flip-flops?
              I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
              There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
              I'm having so much fun
              My lucky number's one
              Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Working...
              X