Ad_Forums-Top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stupid things you were scared of when you were little.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Stupid things you were scared of when you were little.

remember as a KId, My grandparent's kept Hen's ( only about 8 of them ) He used to ask me to go and get the egg's in the morning, I am trying to recall, but I don't think I ever came in with the egg's, I would go into the shed, and they would all be sitting on their nest's, " Just Staring at me " each time I Plucked up the courage to attemt to retrieve the egg's, they would follow my every movement, and for some reason I thought they would peck me

spose u could say I was Chicken when going to collect the Chicken egg's
    DON'T TELL HIM YOUR NAME PIKE!!

Comment

Actually, not stupid... this was the only thing that truly terrified me when I was a child. If you are of a nervous disposition, please do not watch this, a fire prevention public information film.

http://www.tv-ark.org.uk/mivana/medi...g1981&type=mp4

It's dated 1981 on here, but it was definitely being shown as early as 1975, as I was five and it absolutely terrified me on a Saturday afternoon. My mum even phoned ITV up to complain, and for about a week or two after it had started showing, I wouldn't even have World of Sport on the television in case it was shown again. And when I thought I could relax, I was watching BBC one morning and it was shown there.
      Actually, I've watched it once since, online, and it still gives me chills. But it's blooming effective, even now I'm positively paranoid about plugging things out to avoid electrical shorts in the night etc.

Comment

I remember as a youngster, having a hearing test in school and I went ballistic when nurse tried to put a pair of headphones on me. Also I was so terrified of Santa`s white gloves. Strangely enough I was not scared of Santa himself, just his white cotton gloves.

Comment

I once encountered someone dressed up as Rupert the Bear at a fete. They had a big head on with sinister drilled holes for eyes. That freaked me out.
          1976 Vintage

Comment

Something else...our Hoover Junior vacuum cleaner. It was mostly the noise but I didn't like the look of it either with its weird blow up one-sided bag and bananary handle. I used to go in the garden when it was being used, but I didn't even like it just standing switched off. It was quite embarrasing because I had this irrational phobia of upright vacuum cleaners until I was about 12! Going around to friend's houses was a nightmare if the hoover happened to be out. I couldn't let on that I was terrified at that age. It was the same in shops.
            1976 Vintage

Comment

Originally posted by Trickyvee View Post
              Something else...our Hoover Junior vacuum cleaner. It was mostly the noise but I didn't like the look of it either with its weird blow up one-sided bag and bananary handle. I used to go in the garden when it was being used, but I didn't even like it just standing switched off. It was quite embarrasing because I had this irrational phobia of upright vacuum cleaners until I was about 12! Going around to friend's houses was a nightmare if the hoover happened to be out. I couldn't let on that I was terrified at that age. It was the same in shops.

so what was your excise if you went to a friends house and the hoover was on.
              or when you where at a friends house a while you heard the nasty hoover revving up.
              FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Was terrified of those creatures on the Smash advert - "For mash get Smash"- urrghh !!!

Comment

You guys are weird. Channel 4 logos. Toilets flushing and lamps. I don't know.

I always found the testcard really unsettling. I blame the clown, clowns are rubbish.

The attic used to freak me the hell out, I remember when I was about 7 and I was relocated to the attic bedroom while my room was decorated and I hated it. It was horrible even to the day I left that house, and spending time there even with other people didn't break the weird tense atmosphere. It's weird because 2 of my best friends used their attics as bedrooms and game rooms, and I found theirs offputting, but ours was especially set me on edge for reasons I could never place my finger on.

Comment

I found the most creepy thing about testcards was the constant tone that went with them.
                    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
                      so what was your excise if you went to a friends house and the hoover was on.
                      or when you where at a friends house a while you heard the nasty hoover revving up.
                      I used to just grin and bear it but my heart would be going like the clappers and I'd want to run out. Luckily it didn't happen often and by 12 I could at least be in the same room as one. The worst was when a mum would decide to lift it onto the chairs (my mum never did). That was a whole other level of terror. At least if it was on the floor I had a fighting chance but on the chairs it was definitely going to get me!
                      Last edited by Trickyvee; 10-08-2011, 18:50.
                      1976 Vintage

Comment

When I was 4 years old, there was a Dettol commercial which ended with a voiceover saying 'Is your home a safe home, a Dettol home?' accompanied by the sword logo pushing forward on the screen as though it was coming out of the screen at you. Naturally, I thought it was coming to get me!
                        The best Government is that which governs least - Thoreau.

Comment

Originally posted by Trickyvee View Post
                          I used to just grin and bear it but my heart would be going like the clappers and I'd want to run out. Luckily it didn't happen often and by 12 I could at least be in the same room as one. The worst was when a mum would decide to lift it onto the chairs (my mum never did). That was a whole other level of terror. At least if it was on the floor I had a fighting chance but on the chairs it was definitely going to get me!
                          I used to really dislike hoover sounds, my parents old one was really loud & could blot out anyone trying to speak to me.
                          The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
                            I used to really dislike hoover sounds, my parents old one was really loud & could blot out anyone trying to speak to me.
                            Ours was ancient and after multiple dodgy mends by my dad it had quite a few decibels on it. Damn thing.
                            1976 Vintage

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
                              I found the most creepy thing about testcards was the constant tone that went with them.
                              Yeah, it seemed to pulse. I don't think it was designed like that, it was just one long monotonous tone, but same as a clocks tick tick tick tick is sorted by the brain to tick tock tick tock, I think the mind made the drone of the testcard pulse. It's the thing of nightmares.

Comment

As a child I hated the Universal Studios planet logo and a certain bit of music they used at the end of their programmes, I'd get up onto the sofa as it was safer being 'up'. Same with Dalek and Cybermen voices back then. I also didn't like seeing Close Encounters of The Third Kind and had a phobia about it until I was about 17 when I forced myself to watch it-it was the aliens and the abductions-I believe in UFO's and life on other worlds and find it both frightening and plausible.

I also didn't like the way old tv's used to have a small white dot appear dead centre on the screen after you turned them off-it was as if it was alive and watching me sometimes.

There was also an anti-smoking ad circa 1985/87 with a weird looking man who didn't have ears but had earholes shaped as they normally are and cataract eyes and bald....he had an egg shaped head-it really frightened me.

The 'murder, mystery and suspense' intro was frightening too.

I think Slys un-nerving attic may have had a ghost, it sounds that way to me-I believe in them too, my parents have seen many and my Sister was even thrown down the stairs by one as a toddler....

Comment

Working...
                                X