Ad_Forums-Top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stupid things you were scared of when you were little.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Stupid things you were scared of when you were little.

Yes rgat sort of scared me to.
    the smell of them old tellys.
    cheers for reminding me SF

hey had a strange smell cannot describe it.

another thing i was scared of is when all the programmes where finished the screen just went all grey and whte dots.

reminds me of poltergeist it does.
    FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Originally posted by sf1378 View Post
      There was also an anti-smoking ad circa 1985/87 with a weird looking man who didn't have ears but had earholes shaped as they normally are and cataract eyes and bald....he had an egg shaped head-it really frightened me.
      This guy has the dubious honour of being the most frightening thing that I ever saw on TV. I saw the ad once, ran out screaming and never watched it again. I can't even make myself watch it now on youtube. I've tried but I'm still too scared!

And in reply to Sly (I don't know how to do double quote replies), I remember some test card noises did have a pulse. It would be a constant ooooooo then 000ooo000ooo000 every 10 seconds or so.
      1976 Vintage

Comment

I think Slys un-nerving attic may have had a ghost, it sounds that way to me-I believe in them too, my parents have seen many and my Sister was even thrown down the stairs by one as a toddler....
        I was speaking to my mum about it and the best way I could describe it was that those rooms were very unwelcoming, anything further down the hallway from my bedroom door felt like you you were being pressured to leave. The light switch to turn off the lower landing light was at the end of that hall, but it was very very rare I went and turned the light off there. I wasn't scared of the dark or anything like that, but like I say, just going further into attic territory made my scalp tighten. She said that they (my parents) once viewed a house with the intend to buy (actually at the bottom of the street of the scary house attic), but they couldn't complete the viewing because they had the same oppressive feeling I had about our attic when they went in that houses attic.

These houses were over 100 years old. There's only ever been one other place I've been where I have felt like the room has been wanting to be alone. It unsettles me just thinking about it.

Comment

As a child I hated the Universal Studios planet logo and a certain bit of music they used at the end of their programmes, I'd get up onto the sofa as it was safer being 'up'. Same with Dalek and Cybermen voices back then. I also didn't like seeing Close Encounters of The Third Kind and had a phobia about it until I was about 17 when I forced myself to watch it-it was the aliens and the abductions-I believe in UFO's and life on other worlds and find it both frightening and plausible.

I also didn't like the way old tv's used to have a small white dot appear dead centre on the screen after you turned them off-it was as if it was alive and watching me sometimes.

There was also an anti-smoking ad circa 1985/87 with a weird looking man who didn't have ears but had earholes shaped as they normally are and cataract eyes and bald....he had an egg shaped head-it really frightened me.
          I found Close Encounters fairly scary when I first saw it on TVin the mid 1980s.

I actually found the anti Smoking ad fairly amusing, but the AIDS one from the same era was fairly scary.
          The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by Sly View Post
            I was speaking to my mum about it and the best way I could describe it was that those rooms were very unwelcoming, anything further down the hallway from my bedroom door felt like you you were being pressured to leave. The light switch to turn off the lower landing light was at the end of that hall, but it was very very rare I went and turned the light off there. I wasn't scared of the dark or anything like that, but like I say, just going further into attic territory made my scalp tighten. She said that they (my parents) once viewed a house with the intend to buy (actually at the bottom of the street of the scary house attic), but they couldn't complete the viewing because they had the same oppressive feeling I had about our attic when they went in that houses attic.

These houses were over 100 years old. There's only ever been one other place I've been where I have felt like the room has been wanting to be alone. It unsettles me just thinking about it.
            Interesting comments. I have never felt uneasy about any of the places I have lived in, but I always check to see if I do feel anything and I always wonder who might have lived there before and if anybody died there. I currently live in the flat that my gran and uncle lived in (both now deceased). My gran died in the room that is now my bedroom, but I've never had any paranormal feelings.
            1976 Vintage

Comment

Originally posted by Trickyvee View Post
              This guy has the dubious honour of being the most frightening thing that I ever saw on TV. I saw the ad once, ran out screaming and never watched it again. I can't even make myself watch it now on youtube. I've tried but I'm still too scared!

And in reply to Sly (I don't know how to do double quote replies), I remember some test card noises did have a pulse. It would be a constant ooooooo then 000ooo000ooo000 every 10 seconds or so.
              it goes to show that sometimes things i saw as a kid can still be scary yo u so many yrs later tricky.

in the first jaws film there is a part where broady and this other fella go out at night to find this dead person.

the other fella goes down and when shining the light on the sea you see the dead fellas head.

stilll scares me.

Comment

Anyone got a link to this? I don't remember this ad, sounds freaky so I'll have to see it!

I was scared by the Impact advert as a kid. Impact was a kind of toilet cleaner or kitchen cleaning fluid, harmless enough I know but the container had a scary picture of a Great White Shark with its mouth wide open on the label. The TV ad for it ended with a picture of the product with the shark on the front and a man's voice said, in a rather threatening tone, "Impact- puts you RIGHT in there, and won't let you go!" As I was little I interpreted this as meaning a shark was going to come and get you!

Comment

Originally posted by Sly View Post

Definitely a ghost-you cannot have outsiders come in and then want to leave like that if its not the case. I expect the Estate Agent didn't know and neither the viewers. In one of the houses my parents owned before I was born Dad opened his eyes half asleep and saw a headless man at the foot of the bed-he shat himself practically! Mum woke from his screaming and slapped him and he went back to sleep. In the morning he told Mum the story. The ghost was dressed in one of those old night gowns men wore and he described the neck as simply being a smooth stump.

The other occasion I mentioned was when Dad was at work or out. Mum was doing housework and my Sister must have been about 3 or 4. Mum heard a noise and went to look and saw my Sister dazed at the bottom of the stairs. She'd been playing on the landing, Mum immediately looked her over for injuries and there weren't any and she asked her what happened and my Sister said 'A man pushed me down the stairs'...Because she was so small I guess she was like a squidgy rag doll and thats why she must have literally flopped down the stairs and didn't injure herself.

Mum told Dad the story and they didn't like it. A while later whilst chatting to a neighbour who I think asked them about the screaming Dad made that night their neighbour told them that at one stage there had been an old couple in the house and during an arguement the wife pushed her husband down the stairs-he broke his neck and died.

My parents moved from that house sharpish. It was actually No.13 Ormsby St in Reading. They often described it as 'an unlucky house' and that wasn't just to do with the mere supersition of the number.

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
                    Yes rgat sort of scared me to.
                    the smell of them old tellys.
                    cheers for reminding me SF

hey had a strange smell cannot describe it.

another thing i was scared of is when all the programmes where finished the screen just went all grey and whte dots.

reminds me of poltergeist it does.
                    Whats 'rgat' Daz? The grey and black dots thing used to remind me of ants crawling. The noise was horrible wasn't it!

Comment

Whats 'rgat' Daz? The grey and black dots thing used to remind me of ants crawling. The noise was horrible wasn't it!
                      it sure was awful mate.
                      now u mention it it does sound like ants.

what i meant was that.

Comment

Originally posted by BlitzKid View Post
                        Anyone got a link to this? I don't remember this ad, sounds freaky so I'll have to see it!
                        If you search for 'natural born smoker' on Youtube it should be there. I'd look myself but now I can't even risk searching for it incase his horrible face pops up in a photo! It's probably not even that bad lol.

Weirdly the AIDS ones didn't scare me at all.
                        Last edited by Trickyvee; 13-08-2011, 10:19.
                        1976 Vintage

Comment

The AIDS ones were just icebergs weren't they? Nothing particularly scary, although seemingly they had a big impact on sexual health in general

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programme...ma/4348096.stm
                          The only thing to look forward to is the past

Comment

If you search for 'natural born smoker' on Youtube it should be there. I'd look myself but now I can't even risk searching for it incase his horrible face pops up in a photo! It's probably not even that bad lol.
                            Thanks, watched it now, and its sequel 'Natural Born Smoker Baby'! Yep that's definitely freaky, probably a good job I never saw that as a kid!

Comment

http://youtu.be/oMag4tdD0SEhttp://youtu.be/oMag4tdD0SE

For everyones viewing pleasure....go on Trickyvee-its not that bad seeing it now, as a smoker I actually found some of the concepts in it-save for the mutations, wouldn't want those-rather brilliant-I wish I had self cleaning lungs and resistance to the diseases it all causes....I know the risks so I carry my own cross.

The title the poster used cracked me up.
                              Last edited by sf1378; 13-08-2011, 13:46.

Comment

Mine was The Two Ronnies "Phantom Raseberry Blower of Old London Town"......I feel ashamed to actually finally admit it! Please dont tell anyone!

Comment

Working...
                                X