Ad_Forums-Top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stupid things you were scared of when you were little.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Stupid things you were scared of when you were little.

It really was so terribly sad Tommy Cooper dying on the stage, and as you say many did think it was part of the act, all expecting him to stand up again, but of course sadly that never happened..
    He really was a great entertainer and giving his all in everything that he did.
    God Bless him.

Comment

Dunno if its been mentioned but 'The phantom raspberry blower of old London town' scared me witless:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKiJQb8kH7U

I remember being so terrified that I had to sleep in mum and dads bed that night. We didn't watch the rest of that series of the Two Ronnies :cry:

Comment

never knew he died on stage.

it was that green fisher price jack in the box that scared me.
        its more toys that scare me.

Originally posted by victorbrunswick View Post
        Then the really creepy part is that Tommy Cooper died onstage while doing a TV show. He suffered a heart attack and collapsed and the audience was still laughing thinking that it was part of the act. Still, he's another one of my favorite comedians especially because I've always loved magic acts -- even Tommy's faux one.
        Last edited by darren; 24-09-2012, 00:03.
        FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

I've contributed so many things to this thread I am surprised I ever made it through childhood without being scared to death one way or another, but I keep remembering different things.

Sometimes it wasn't even my own imagination that caused trouble. My best friend had a vivid imagination and would often stop mid-play, turn white and utter something terrifying like "what's that weird light on the wall behind you?" I'd be on my feet running for my life before I had a chance to investigate it for myself, then she'd go home and I'd be left to sleep alone in the room with the phantom ghostly light!
          1976 Vintage

Comment

Originally posted by DeptfordDraylons View Post
            The Anglia Television silver knight on the horse - when I was about three years old, I had nightmares of them coming up the stairs to kidnap me!
            It was the ATV colour ident with me. The animation and jingle would realley creep me out.

Comment

I wonder did this friend of yours say it for badness as they knew it would scare you.
              and yes i guess it diid.

however did you even survive your first say 15 yrs.

i was scarwed of the tv at night when it went that fuzzy grey and white colour.

Originally posted by Trickyvee View Post
              I've contributed so many things to this thread I am surprised I ever made it through childhood without being scared to death one way or another, but I keep remembering different things.

Sometimes it wasn't even my own imagination that caused trouble. My best friend had a vivid imagination and would often stop mid-play, turn white and utter something terrifying like "what's that weird light on the wall behind you?" I'd be on my feet running for my life before I had a chance to investigate it for myself, then she'd go home and I'd be left to sleep alone in the room with the phantom ghostly light!

Comment

Originally posted by Sly View Post
                I just remembered something that did scare me. Michael Gambon. That man is 110% creepy.
                He looked especially creepy in The Singing Detective where he's covered with psoriasis scabs.

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
                  I wonder did this friend of yours say it for badness as they knew it would scare you.
                  and yes i guess it diid.

however did you even survive your first say 15 yrs.

i was scarwed of the tv at night when it went that fuzzy grey and white colour.
                  No, there was no malice behind it. In fact she was probably more terrified than me! She just had a vivid imagination.
                  1976 Vintage

Comment

More on indents, including the scary ATV one can be found in this thread
                    https://forums.doyouremember.co.uk/t...hlight=Indents
                    1976 Vintage

Comment

And another post from me...please merge if required!

Laughing at the Michael Gambon post I was trying to think of actual people that scared me. I can only think of Vincent Schiavelli playing the subway ghost in 'Ghost'. He was a weird looking guy but perfectly cast in that role! I would have probably been scared of him in real life too.
                      1976 Vintage

Comment

I was petrified of pneumatic drills as a child, and would try to refuse to go out of the house if I could hear one. Mum always dragged me out, but it often meant a significant detour to avoid passing the drill. I still don't particularly like them now.
                        There used to be a pub called "The World's End" heading into Knaresborough, near the river (might still be there), and as I was always scared of the thought of the world ending, I used to shut my eyes very tightly and turn my head the other way whenever we went past on the coach. I thought that if I didn't look at it, the world wouldn't end.
                        Mum & dad had a picture on their wall that they'd brought back from Switzerland. It was a sort-of collage of a Swiss chalet, with a path leading up to it, but the way the stones were on the path, I could see a face that didn't look particularly friendly, so I was scared of that.
                        I was also scared of saying "Goodbye" to anybody in case I didn't see them again!

Comment

Originally posted by Tortie View Post
                          There used to be a pub called "The World's End" heading into Knaresborough, near the river (might still be there), and as I was always scared of the thought of the world ending, I used to shut my eyes very tightly and turn my head the other way whenever we went past on the coach. I thought that if I didn't look at it, the world wouldn't end.
                          Whaddya know? Through the magic of Google it looks like it's still there. And by the looks of it a nice place to have a pint.

Comment

Well, I looked at it - and we're all still here lol!
                            Report back on the pint situation!

Comment

i can sort of understand that fear mate.
                              for one thing its so loud the ground shakes.

for me thunder is quite scary.
                              as a kid when i heard it i thought it was him upstairs being angry at us down here.
                              i thought the world was about to end.

Originally posted by Tortie View Post
                              I was petrified of pneumatic drills as a child, and would try to refuse to go out of the house if I could hear one. Mum always dragged me out, but it often meant a significant detour to avoid passing the drill. I still don't particularly like them now.
                              Mum & dad had a picture on their wall that they'd brought back from Switzerland. It was a sort-of collage of a Swiss chalet, with a path leading up to it, but the way the stones were on the path, I could see a face that didn't look particularly friendly, so I was scared of that.
                              I was also scared of saying "Goodbye" to anybody in case I didn't see them again!

Comment

For some reason, thunder always alarms me more now than it did when I was a child. Mum always told me it was just the clouds bumping into each other, and there was a boy at school who believed that it was Jesus moving the beds in Heaven, which I think is quite sweet.

I've always been petrified of balloons, to the extent that it's actually a full-blown phobia, although bizarrely, the foil ones don't bother me...

Comment

Working...
                                X