Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 LastLast

Thread: Stupid things you were scared of when you were little.

Default Re: Stupid things you were scared of when you were little.

This is so like my fear of the Blue Peter ship logo that would quickly zoom up to fill the screen at the end of the show credits. I used to quickly slink out the room before it came on.
    1976 Vintage

Quote Originally Posted by zabadak View Post
    After seeing Jaws, I had an irrational fear that nuclear tests would create a modified shark which could swim through land (not on it, through it!) and get me! Seriously, I had trouble sleeping for weeks!
    I used to think that the actors in the film and were in the water where the shark was were literally eaten alive by the shark in the film - I suppose as a seven year old seeing the film pre-watershed, one assumes that what we see is real. And the sea water turning red after Jaws has had a "snack" does look a lot more realistic than anticipated. I wonder how many complaints of violence that LWT and the IBA received when ITV had shown that film pre-watershed on mid 1980s summer Saturday evenings? Great film though.
    I am now in my 40s (just in case anyone asks).

My greatest fear was of boarding school food. I recall while in junior school there was an incident where we were stalked by a deranged individual known as the Kingsgrove slasher. He did not slash people but rather women's clothes and bed sheets. He stalked our washing section for three nites before the police finally nabbed him. that was scary.

At boarding school I did the scaring by being the resident horror story teller. I had always had a vivid imagination so telling these spookie tales came easy to me. I took great satisfaction in scaring the life out of my fellow students. Hearing them scream as I relate how "the cemetery stone moved away and a dark, hideous creature slowly appeared".

I have noticed that a lot of Crimewatch UK episodes are on YouTube - I have been watching a few of them and it's amazing how much I remember from 25 to 35 years ago. I used to be allowed to stay up to watch it, and it's amazing how much I remember from the reconstructions. One seems to take for granted Nick Ross saying "don't have nightmares" at the end of each episode.

Bogymen (now called paedophiles)

Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

As kids we were scared : respectful of the police ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think I am alone when I mention the following fear:
    My sister and I use to hide behind the sofa and peer at the tv when the Dr Who credits started, starring John Pertwee.

When I was about 4 or 5 I had a spell of sleepwalking. One night I wandered into the living room and was shocked back into consciousness by a Black and White Minstrels lp. I've not been quite the same since!

Quote Originally Posted by Moonraker View Post
    I don't think I am alone when I mention the following fear:
    My sister and I use to hide behind the sofa and peer at the tv when the Dr Who credits started, starring Jon Pertwee.
    Hiding behind the sofa always seems to be a cliché when it comes to Doctor Who - it seems that it was traditional for all youngsters back in the 1970s to do that - or was it?