Ad_Forums-Top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stupid things you were scared of when you were little.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stupid things you were scared of when you were little.

We had a table lamp that I was terrified of when I was little. I don't know why but to me it looked like it was alive with an angry, evil looking shade and I always thought it was watching me. It was in our living room and I would walk right around the opposite side of the room to get past it. Unfortunately the shade was also quite loose so it would often be tilted which made it look even worse! I even had nightmares about it chasing me, tottering along on its horrible little brass feet to the 'jaws' dur dur dur dur music. It was such a relief when my mam finally got rid of it, although I've never lived it down

Was anybody else scared of something ridiculous?
    Last edited by Trickyvee; 22-06-2010, 22:09.
    1976 Vintage

Re: Stupid things you were scared of when you were little.

I was scared of one thing when I was a kid: The Channel 4 logo.
    When it appeared on the telly, I didn't like the blocks in the logo flying round and forming the number 4.
    I also didn't like the four note jingle that went with it. My parents tried to persuade me to watch the logo but it didn't work sadly, I just couldn't look at it. Plus whenever my mum would say to me 'switch over to 4 for brookie', I'd change the channel and run upstairs. Very strange phobia I had...
    The answer came when my mum emptied my box of legos and asked me to make a number 4 out of them, it took a while for me to overcome the fear and it worked.

Comment

Oh wow, I hated the Channel 4 logo as well! I remember the coloured blocks forming a face once? and that frightened me as well!
      As well as any public information films, especially anything to do with fire safety - this one scared the living daylights out of me (in fact I've had to put my computer on "mute" just to search for it lol!) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIw_wmlK91M Literally had me running from the room :S
      Our attic was scary - cold and dark, and we used to run past the attic steps/door on the landing. And I wasn't keen on carwashes.

Apart from that - nothing! hehe.

Comment

I was scared of the bin mens wagon. For some reason I thought I would fall in the big bin at the back and get chewed up in the teeth

Comment

urgh yeah ditto the bin wagon. Also the road sweeper - thought I'd get pulled into the big elephant's trunk sucky bit.
          1976 Vintage

Comment

Absolutely baffles now but when I was a toddler we lived near blocks of flats and the dry riser inlet / fire hose interface panels use to freak me out. May have been because they looked like a scary face. (2 eyes and a mouth). Completely without logic.
            "GAME OVER MAN, GAME OVER"

Comment

I used to be scared of emergency vehicles with sirens blaring away.Funny though I ended up working for the ambulance service -20 years later

Comment

i had a phobia of the battersea power station if you aint in london or the uk that landmark will probably mean nothing to you (unless you are familiar with the pink floyd album animals) we used to have to visit relatives everyother weekend in vaxhaul and had to pass the thing when ever we went there. it must have been embarrassing for me mum as i screamed in absolute terror as the train drew near the building
                i have no idea why it effected me so badly

Comment

I remember standing in soft mud and being irrationally afraid of sinking into it..probably due to the Johnny Weissmueller Tarzan films with the quicksand..Also I remember being absolutely terrified of the phantom of the opera old Hammer film. There was a scene where the phantom was peeping through a keyhole or something. The eye filled the screen and I thought it was actual size. Jebus! I was sh**ing myself every night that if I opened my eyes, I'd see this giant eye peering through my window!

When I was about 11 I saw Salem's Lot. Words cannot express my terror at some scenes in it. I still can't sleep unless my necks nicely tucked in.

Comment

i used to be afraid of fireworks when i was real young.
                    they scared the life out of me.
                    made me jump.
                    FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

You guys are weird...the channel 4 logo...muhahahah lol that is funny. I wasn't scared of anything as a kid. There was only one episode where I had one of my baby doll bottles in my window and I thought it was a rat. My dad came in there and took it out of the window and agreed with me that it did look like one...but that was only for the one night
                      I'd rather hear the bad truth than a good lie

Comment

I also remember peering into the window of a closed shop and hearing a really weird noise. I was convinced I was hearing a ghost and sprinted away at a rate of knots. I realise now that it was pigeons nesting above the widow! Durrrr. They do make some strange noises though!
                        1976 Vintage

Comment

Balok from Star Trek episode The Corbomite Maneuver
                          Scared the hell out if me as a child.
                          His face appears in the end credits of every episode, so I always had to look away

Comment

Originally posted by sixtyten View Post
                            Balok from Star Trek episode The Corbomite Maneuver
                            Scared the hell out if me as a child.
                            His face appears in the end credits of every episode, so I always had to look away
                            Is that the scary yellow-faced alien in the end credits? I had to look away too.
                            1976 Vintage

Comment

That's the fella!

Comment

Working...
                              X