No announcement yet.

Defining song of the 80's?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well...I wouldn't be able to pick out a single song...To me the 80s are about wild big colored hair, cheesy accessories, tight outfits and the overall appearence of not having a care in the world....
    I Don't Reckon Any Other Sign of Superiority But Kindness - Beethoven

Comment

99 Red Balloons - Nina

All that Cold War stuff and the real fear of a nuclear war, I still love that song.

Comment

All of those songs. All of them and more... I notice noone's mentioned the mighty Phil Collins..?!
        What?

Comment

agadoo by black lace!

Comment

Club Tropicana - Wham

Comment

'pretty in pink' by The Psychedelic Furs, because it was on an episode of The Really Wild Show that I used to have on video and watch aall the time.

Comment

Hmm, maybe Vienna by Ultravox. Level 42 - 'lessons in love' is a cracker.

Comment

For me, although i loved all the music in the 80's it was hearing Hi-Nrg for the first time in the summer of 87.
                  Tracks like - Touch by Touch - Joy, Slice me Nice - Fancy, Divine, Hazell Dean, Electrica Salsa all made a huge impact on my life, but

having said that, in late 1986 my Dad, (who ran a mobile disco) came in from work and said listen to this song i picked up for 50p in the bargin box of a local record shop.

It blew me away with its synth riff, and cathy as hell chorus and melody. I loved it the min i heard it

The song??

Man 2 Man Meets Man Parrish - Male Stripper,

I had this single a good 6 months before it hit the UK charts.

For me - this was the moment i knew my life would never be the same again and i have been a DJ ever since.

Wicked

Miki Zone of Man2Man (RIP)

Comment

Songs that really define the 80s for me...

"Money For Nothing"---Dire Straits. Talking about microwave ovens and MTV, which were novelties back then

"Hungry Like the Wolf"---Duran Duran. The "do do do do" and that high-pitched rattling sound has such an 80s vibe.

"Rebel Yell"---Billy Idol. Has that eerie 80s vibe.

"Kyrie"---Mister Mister. The way they use the electric guitar and the keyboard

and last but not least....

"Jump"---Van Halen. This takes the cake for the defining song of the 80s with that air guitar.

Comment

We used to stand on the seats around the dance floor when VH got to :
                      " Can't you see me waiting here, I got my back against the record machine " and then Jump when he told us to ( it was 20+ years ago...).!
                      Into the 5th Millennium & beyond...!

Comment

so many great songs

Comment

99 Red Balloons

Comment

I really remember sat round the dinner table one Xmas day with the radio on low as background music and hearing Band Aid ..Do They Know Its Xmas... Feed The World. amazing how little appetite I had after that for my roast turkey!
                            But guys what about.....
                            The Cure, The Ramones, Dead Kennedys, Angelic Upstarts.......... ahhhh the nostalgia!
                            sigpic
                            Mrs Oggy
                            ~~~*~~~*~~~
                            Count your friends amongst the stars....
                            And your enemies on the fingers of one foot!

Comment

Yeah I argee with the Momma, gotta be Band Aid, watching the Live Aid marathon on tv was fantastic, an amazing event, that lives on. Well done to Sir Bob and Midge Ure, and also they wer ein two of the koolest groups of the 80's The Boomtown Rats and Ultravox, though how and why Vienna never got to number one, is a good question.

Comment

new order
                                blue monday
                                Van_Whistler (too young to understand - old enough to know better)

Comment

Working...
                                X