Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reader's Digest Big Volumes.Full of obscure information.

Default Reader's Digest Big Volumes.Full of obscure information.

Has anyone ever read these books by Reader's Digest? I have two of their big volume books here,as well as one by the AA.They are absolutely sensational to read,and have some of the best pictures i have ever seen,although the colour and lighting makes them look dated now.
    Here are a few pictures of the volumes i have at present.The first,is the book by the AA,which is the Automobile Association.It is called: Treasures of Britain.It includes: Treasures of Ireland.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AA.2.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	96.3 KB 
ID:	2789Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AA.1.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	98.1 KB 
ID:	2790

I took a picture of the spread cover,and an example of what the inside pages look like.This AA book,also includes incredible detailed maps of the entire UK and Ireland,with all the locations of castles,gardens,abbeys etc marked on them.

Default Re: Reader's Digest Big Volumes.Full of obscure information.

Here are pictures of a Reader's Digest book i have called: Strange Stories Amazing Facts.It is full of strange tales from the flying dutchman to facts about the first submarine etc.

Name:	SS.1.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	95.7 KB 
ID:	2791Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SS.3.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	97.0 KB 
ID:	2792

This book,is by Reader's Digest and is called: Folklore Myths and Legends of Britain.It is absolutly jam packed with stories and pictures from thousands of towns,villages and cities in the UK.It is my all time favourite book.Like most of the other books,these three books have been reprinted throughout the 70's.

Name:	DSC_0675.jpg 
Size:	99.0 KB 
ID:	2793Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0673.jpg 
Size:	95.1 KB 
ID:	2794Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0674.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	97.0 KB 
ID:	2795

My Dad has the AA book of England.

I've got the Readers Digest Book Of Home Repair, which seems to turn up at every other charity shop I've been in.
    The Trickster On The Roof

Quote Originally Posted by Richard1978 View Post
    My Dad has the AA book of England.

I've got the Readers Digest Book Of Home Repair, which seems to turn up at every other charity shop I've been in.
    We had a Readers Digest home repair thing, but it was a big grey binder folded over like a brief case. Inside it had two sections, can't remember what they were but one had a brown transparent plastic cover and the other had a green transparent plastic cover. You could take all the leaves out seperately for the odd job in hand.
    1976 Vintage

One thing about the Reader's Digest is the never ending prize draw they held

They said you would be entered into the prize draw to win 250,000 & an expensive new car

Did anyone actually win?

If you sent the prize draw document within a certain time you could win an additional amount of money

If you did win the mega prize you could choose a celebrity to present the cheque to you

They always gave you a list of winners, such as Mary T from Manchester, David P from Liverpool for example

I reckon it was all a con to get you to buy there books

If anyone actually won the prize draw it would be interesting to find someone who actually has.

Then I will be less suspicious lol

Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

I bought my dad a book from Readers' Digest on law called, I think, You and your Rights circa 1978 and for years afterward we received letters about other books and prize draws. The book itself was actually not bad at all.

I had a copy of "Strange Stories, Amazing Facts" when I was a kid.

Quote Originally Posted by Twocky61 View Post
    One thing about the Reader's Digest is the never ending prize draw they held

They said you would be entered into the prize draw to win 250,000 & an expensive new car

Did anyone actually win?

If you sent the prize draw document within a certain time you could win an additional amount of money

If you did win the mega prize you could choose a celebrity to present the cheque to you

They always gave you a list of winners, such as Mary T from Manchester, David P from Liverpool for example

I reckon it was all a con to get you to buy there books

If anyone actually won the prize draw it would be interesting to find someone who actually has.

Then I will be less suspicious lol
    It was not a con. I well remember a friend of the girl I was then with, won 2000. She actually sent the form with her number back. She forgot about it, then a month later a cheque came in the post. I once entered the prize, being told that if they received my numbers before a certain date, I would receive a pair of carving knives. I duly sent the numbers, and two carving knives came in a package several weeks later.

The man who was running the draws for RD actually appeared on TV . He openly stated the prize draws did take place and were not a con. If they did not, it would be a case of fraud. I think you could actually write to them and ask for the full names of the winners and numbers. I think it is part of UK law that numbers must be revealed.

Has far has I'm aware, the was no obligation to buy anything off them.
    Who cared about rules when you were young?

Nan had a copy of Treasures of Britain. I think I may of borrowed a copy of the Folk law one from our library.

We all gave up on the readers digest prize draws here. The amount of forms and numbers etc. we sent back must of been ridiculous. Never won a thing and never knew anybody that had. All they kept doing was to send another lot of rubbish to return along with loads of advertising and begging letters to buy books.