heinz`s sandwich spread and toast toppers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• heinz`s sandwich spread and toast toppers

you can still get the normal sandwich spread its a kind of coleslaw thats made for a sarnie, it kind of looks like sick but to me tastes devine .
    but any one remember the cucumber variant
    i remember many a lunch time at scool being teased because all my mates would have ham or roast beef sandwiches and id be munching on `jarred cucumber puke ` as we called it

around the same time there was tins of stuff which to this day im sure was just baby food with a different label on
    it was a pot of mush you put on half cooked toast then stuck under the grill to finish off i seem to recall they came in cheese and ham, and chicken and mushroom "flavoured " versions and i do use the word `flavoured` in protest
    surely im not the only person who had to put up with this stuff as a treat for my saturday evening tea

Re: heinz`s sandwich spread and toast toppers

They still sell toast toppers in every supermarket,
    I have no idea who buys it, it's foul

Comment

I remember,every summer,being forced to eat sandwich spread on margarine and bread.My mum decided i had the same taste buds as her,so bought food..... Only SHE Liked! Rhubarb and Ginger Jam... Yeuch! and i felt exactly the same about sandwich spread... Yeuch! Yeuch! Yeuch!

Comment

Love Sandwich Spread, hate Toast Toppers
        Rhubarb & Ginger Jam sounds yummy

Comment

didnt know they still did toast toppers im going to have to get a few tins and threaten my kids that if they dont tidy up their rooms its their dinner for a fortnight

Comment

Originally posted by moonvisage View Post
            I remember,every summer,being forced to eat sandwich spread on margarine and bread.My mum decided i had the same taste buds as her,so bought food..... Only SHE Liked! Rhubarb and Ginger Jam... Yeuch! and i felt exactly the same about sandwich spread... Yeuch! Yeuch! Yeuch!
            OMG another mum who ruled the family palate. In our house there were loads of things I never ate because my mum didn't like them and therefore she wouldn't buy them. Conversley she's been trying to convince me that I like blue cheese for about 30 years!
            1976 Vintage

Comment

I loved cucumber Sandwich Spread and Toast Toppers

Originally posted by Trickyvee View Post
              OMG another mum who ruled the family palate.
              Same here. Just the thought of Malt Loaf/Soreen and cheap margarine still makes my stomach turn

Comment

I also had Sandwich Spread in my sandwiches when I was at secondary school. I quite liked it and only sampled it again last year. I found I still like it!

(Soreen and real butter is better, Claudine)

Comment

Originally posted by Marine Boy View Post

(Soreen and real butter is better, Claudine)
                  Real butter (or even decent margarine) was "an extravagance!"

Comment

I wasn't much keen on the sandwich spread,but I loved toast toppers.

tulip

Comment

I loved Sandwich spread to the point where my mum said I'd eat it until it came out of my ears!

Wasn't keen on toast toppers (look away if eating ) after my Dad described it as warm sick on toast :cry:
                      Heather

Comment

Does anyone remember "Sandwich Mate"?..I think it was made by Mattersons circa 1981.
                        It came in a small tin (Similar size to the now small tins of cat food!).
                        It contained chunks of beef in a jelly/gravy combination..Gotta confess, i really liked it.

Comment

I too was force fed heinz toast toppers but never had to go through the punishment of sandwich spread, in fact because I never had it I always look at it in the shops and wonder who buys it (and toast toppers I mean who is keeping that in business, but it must be selling if it's still there)
                          One other thing I do remember was little tiny glass jars of so called pate or fish paste, now I did have that in a few sandwiches as a kid.
                          And another mushed meat product I had was tins of bacon grill, a bit like spam but bacony.
                          sigpic

Comment

I remember my Mum occasionally buying potted beef in small jars, often made by Sutherlands. My local Farmfoods has a shelf of Sutherland spreads.

Toast toppers get at least one mention in Red Dwarf.

Apparently it was a reference to the sort of snacks the writers used to eat when doing a night shift, making sure the printers at a mail order company always had enough paper in them.

When my fridge broke down last year I had to buy a lot of non-perishable food, one item was a tin of bacon grill which I never needed to open & is still at the back of a kitchen cupboard.
                            The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post

When my fridge broke down last year I had to buy a lot of non-perishable food, one item was a tin of bacon grill which I never needed to open & is still at the back of a kitchen cupboard.
                              Go on get the bacon grill out tonight!
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X