kids tv shows you loved.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: kids tv shows you loved.

Apart from Doctor Who, I loved Battle of the Planets. I had no idea it was a Japanese anime until in the early 90's when I discovered that it was called Gatchaman and that it was completely different in tone from the child friendly cartoon I watched during the Summer holidays. Gone was 7-Zark-7 (a blessing in reality as he was annoying!!), the names of the characters were different and the storyline was darker with people dying regularly in episodes. I got hold of information on the internet that somebody in Texas was selling the final 5 episodes of Gatchaman on VHS tape (they had never been broadcast in the UK as part of BOTP), I just had to buy this tape no matter what. I eventually managed to pay this guy with an international money check (no PAYPAL in those days) and a month later the tape arrived. Upon viewing the tape I was immediately struck by how much superior Gatchaman was to BOTP and the death of one of the major characters really shocked me. I still like BOTP but give me the uncensored Gatchaman episodes anyday.

Comment

Originally posted by akb48fan View Post
      Apart from Doctor Who, I loved Battle of the Planets. I had no idea it was a Japanese anime until in the early 90's when I discovered that it was called Gatchaman and that it was completely different in tone from the child friendly cartoon I watched during the Summer holidays. Gone was 7-Zark-7 (a blessing in reality as he was annoying!!), the names of the characters were different and the storyline was darker with people dying regularly in episodes. I got hold of information on the internet that somebody in Texas was selling the final 5 episodes of Gatchaman on VHS tape (they had never been broadcast in the UK as part of BOTP), I just had to buy this tape no matter what. I eventually managed to pay this guy with an international money check (no PAYPAL in those days) and a month later the tape arrived. Upon viewing the tape I was immediately struck by how much superior Gatchaman was to BOTP and the death of one of the major characters really shocked me. I still like BOTP but give me the uncensored Gatchaman episodes anyday.
      Same here it took me years to find out it was Japanese, the same with Star Fleet.
      The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I would really like to see the original Japanese version of Star Fleet (Super Space Machine X-Bomber). They should have stuck with Commander Makara's original name for the English dub - Bloody Mary!

Comment

One obscure one I like is Lizzie Dripping based on Helen Cresswell's books. The series from 1974 starred Tina Heath as Lizzie Dripping (Penelope Arbuckle) before she went on to co-host Blue Peter. Tina must have been about 13 at the time she played Lizzie Dripping; maybe younger
          sigpic
          Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

I watched a couple of Lizzie Dripping episodes recently after buying them on DVD from a TV collector. They still hold up as being amusing today.

Comment

Star fleet
              Space 1999
              Tarzan the cartoon episodes
              Battle of the planets
              Dungeons and dragons
              THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE TRUST NO ONE

Comment

Follyfoot
                Black Beauty