1970's swivel stud football boots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1970's swivel stud football boots

I know Alan Ball and a few other wore white hummel football boots in the early 70's, but does anyone remember the brand who produced the football boots with the circular dial at the front of the boot that was supposed to allow you to swivel without the studs moving.

They were endorsed by Alan Hinton of Derby County around 1970/71, but disappeared soon after release due to the amount of injuries they caused to ankle ligaments.

I have trawled the net and can only find reference to them but know pictures or brand name.

Re: 1970's swivel stud football boots

They were made by Tuf
    and called the Tufspin

http://ftvdb.bfi.org.uk/sift/title/377268

Comment

Tuf are still going. The firm was G.B Brittons originally

Comment

I think Patrick made some like this as well.

Certainly Kevin Keegan mentions in his autobiography that he tried some swivel stud boots but didn't like them, & that Patrick was his perferred brand of boot.

I'm possibly mixing 2 different things up there.
        The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Hi Lord K,

I still actually have a pair of these Boots in question. Only played in them once (Tried to).

They were a prototype sort of Boot that never really took off. (Think Hummel had a bit to do with these also as well as Tuf.

Will try and get a pic of them and try to load up on here for you.

Regards

Wilf

Comment

Hi Lord K,

I actually still have a pair of these Boots.

Only worn once.

Wilf

Comment

I was the film cameraman for an advert for these boots.
              Below is me filming the advert.

For a bit of interest
              The person on to the left of me is Dave Martin and the person to the right of me is Bob Baker, they both became famous for writing for Dr Who.

Comment

I was only talking with my mates in the pub on Saturday about these and they all thought I was making it up! They are all the same age as me (47ish) and was really surprised that they didn't remember! Really like a picture of the sole of these to show them I'm was not imagining them! Any help appreciated!

Comment

Originally posted by Ian4cnw View Post
                  I was only talking with my mates in the pub on Saturday about these and they all thought I was making it up! They are all the same age as me (47ish) and was really surprised that they didn't remember! Really like a picture of the sole of these to show them I'm was not imagining them! Any help appreciated!
                  Funny that, I was in a pub on Saturday & some guy called Ian was banging on about these boots & I thought he was making it up too.
                  Nice free pies they give away in the Saddle Inn though eh mate? LOL.

Comment

Bloody hell! Must be a parallel universe!! Do you remember them too?

Comment

Originally posted by Ian4cnw View Post
                      Bloody hell! Must be a parallel universe!! Do you remember them too?
                      It must be ! The Ian I was with tried to google it on his phone at the time to prove his case but to no avail.
                      The conversation then ended up about Alan Ball's white boots!
                      TBH I don't recall those swivel boots.

Comment

Originally posted by 5 O'ClockHero View Post
                        It must be ! The Ian I was with tried to google it on his phone at the time to prove his case but to no avail.
                        The conversation then ended up about Alan Ball's white boots!
                        TBH I don't recall those swivel boots.
                        Amazing! But that's where the similarities end! My friends wouldn't waste
                        their time looking on the web for these boots - and I doubt most of them would know how to use the Internet either

Comment

Can we keep to discussing football boots please?
                          The only thing to look forward to is the past

Comment

Since I was the one who brought both Alan Ball's white boots - Charlie George/Tommy Smith in red boots - AND Tufspin - I may as well give you the real story. Alan Ball boots were of course Hummel from Germany, The company was owned by a Bernard Weckenbrock. I was the head of marketing and made white boot because introducing another brand of black boots against the stranglehold of Adidas need a new initiative. The Tufspin introduction was also launched ONLY by Hummel and in white and were manufactured by GB Britton the TUF Shoe company. They were launched at a sports trade fair in London - I would guess in 1971 - and were introduced from a stage to a large audience of sports trade buyers - on the stage recommending the boot was Bertie Mee the then manager of Arsenal. I made a speech about the boots and a famous - former Villa player and sports shop owner in Birmingham - Harry Parkes - stood up and told me that if these boots worked he would walk to London on his hands next year!!!! They didn't work and the following year I had a very large photograph on the Hummel stand with me in handstand position on the M1 motorway. That is the whole story.

Comment

I thought they were called Power-Point boots and had numbers on the boot to indicate the 'sweet spot'.

I would swear that these boots with the revolving plate were Power Point Boots, my best mate had some in the 70's and they were definitely not white???

Comment

Working...
                              X