Athena

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Athena

I was a little young for this shop's output, but I remember some of the posters.

As well as the Tennis Girl there was a whole series of posters of a chimp in a suit, I guess a play on Monkey Business. One featured in an early Red Dwarf as a valuble collectable.

I remember a few people at school having collections of postcards from Athena.
    The Trickster On The Roof

Re: Athena

I remember Athena shops. When I was at college in 1981 - 83 time we sometimes used to go shopping to Leicester and would buy David Sylvian/Japan posters in there! The posters were mounted in large white frames on a wall and it was an absolute delight to browse through them!

They also did a nice range of cards and postcards. I also seem to remember Birmingham having one too.

Comment

When I was living in Brighton in the mid 80s, I'd often go to Athena. Great postcards! Colourful geometric designs, pop stars, 1930s movie stars. I could never choose what to buy.

Comment

The David Sylvian poster in Athena in Manchester was covered in lipstick prints!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by cresta View Post
          The David Sylvian poster in Athena in Manchester was covered in lipstick prints!!!!
          Was that the one next to Bradley's records in the Arndale?
          "GAME OVER MAN, GAME OVER"

Comment

I was at college in Canterbury in the early '90s, and the Athena there was on two floors. I bought a few postcards from there, and probably a book or two, but I don't recall buying any of the posters. Great shop though.
            "We're the Sweeney son, and we haven't had any dinner!"

Comment

Hope no-one minds me reusing this thread, but I was recently talking to someone about iconic posters & the tennis girl was mentioned.

Others I remember were the hunky man holding a baby & Farah Fawcett's red swimsuit poster, along with the "On The Wings Of Love" featured in Abigail's Party, which seems fairly tame by today's standards.

Comment

OMG there used to be an Athena in our city centre, and boy did they have a lot, and I mean a LOT of the best posters EVER! (as you know )

I was ragin when they closed down, absolutely RAGIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

some brilliant shots and designs.....................prob last time I was in was the late 90s (Im guessing).

Comment

Hi All

I had a poster from Athena - but it was actually a Michael Bedard poster - Hello Houston

I loved that poster - made me chuckle everytime I saw it - If only I could get my hands on the poster now....

there is an 8x10 " version available...thats just too small to do this masterpiece justice!

Comment

BTW If you hadnt noticed...the astronaut is taking a pee!

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
                      Hope no-one minds me reusing this thread, but I was recently talking to someone about iconic posters & the tennis girl was mentioned.

Others I remember were the hunky man holding a baby & Farah Fawcett's red swimsuit poster, along with the "On The Wings Of Love" featured in Abigail's Party, which seems fairly tame by today's standards.
                      Didnt he turn out (thank you low rent tabloids) to be a serial philanderer, and a million miles from the caring New Dad/New Man (bluegh!) of the 80's.

Comment

Originally posted by ayrshireman View Post
                        Didnt he turn out (thank you low rent tabloids) to be a serial philanderer, and a million miles from the caring New Dad/New Man (bluegh!) of the 80's.
                        Something like that, certainly he attracted a few groupies over the years.

An earlier generation of "kitsch art" was the blue faced Chinese girl picture, the original of which was sold recently.

Comment

Working...
                        X