Ad_Forums-Top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Two songs on a BBC radio program which was broadcast some time in the early - mid 90s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two songs on a BBC radio program which was broadcast some time in the early - mid 90s

I'm hoping someone out there may be able to help me! This is a bit of a sinister subject matter but I hope my assurance that I'm not some kind of weirdo with pierced eyeballs doesn't fall on deaf ears!

At some point in the early to mid 1990s one of the BBC radio stations broadcast a program about the influence Charles Manson has had on popular culture (I believe it was part of a series about "Rock bad boys" and the influence of crime on popular culture...yep.. BBC radio was actually quite high-brow stuff once! )... played Guns & Roses version of one of his songs and reported on the legal fallout this produced etc...etc...

Anyway... During the program two songs were played:

One had the lyrics "Charlie! 1969 was a good year!" and sounded a bit like something Simple Minds would have released (Of course I doubt Simple Minds would record such a song but stylistically it was similar)

The other song was a cover version of "Free Nelson Mandella" but with the lyrics changed to, you guessed it, "Free Charles Manson".

Does anyone have any idea what these songs are and who recorded them? Its been driving me insane for years as everytime I type "Lyrics 1969 good year" all I get is The Eagles "Hotel California" and every time I type "Free Charles Manson" I just get petitions from goths

Any help would be appreciated!

Re: Two songs on a BBC radio program which was broadcast some time in the early - mid

I honestly can't say i know those songs, but you could add the word "lyrics" or "song" to your search and perhaps you strike luck.

Although, there are still a few songs that I my-self am trying to find and can't... but most of my searches have been more successfull when i add those words to the search.
    sigpic

Comment

Re: Two songs on a BBC radio program which was broadcast some time in the early - mid

Cheers Soul,

I've pretty much exhausted that approach. lol All it seems to throw up is "Hotel California" and some of Charles Manson's own lyrics. I'm kinda hoping that someone on this board may have been partial to wearing long leather trenchcoats and "manscara" throughout the nineties as it truly is driving me mad. I'd hate to think I'll have to start going to london and trudging round the Goth clubs.

Comment

Working...
      X