• Show
Clear All

Re: Arcades And Fun fair Rides

not exactly the same as the one I remember but close enough

Heather

Comment

Originally posted by Trickyvee View Post
      I've mentioned something like this on another thread. Our local funfair had one called hillbilly moonshine. There was lots of squirting water and, as you mentioned, a man sitting in one of those shed toilets with a moon shape cut out of the door. The door opened if you hit the target
      Was that at 'Spanish City'? I seem to remember something like that there or am I confusing it the the Town Moor?
      Heaven knows I'm miserable now.

Comment

Yes it was at the Spanish City
        1976 Vintage

Comment

Hillybilly Moonshine,I loved that.Loved Tucktonia too.There were loads of games,but I can remember them.The little arcade by the riverside in Christchurch had loads of old fashioned games.At the fairground I always remember the Star Wars flying saucer thing,that was my fav.

tulip

Comment

I last saw one of those Shooting Galleries at Poldark in 1992. An arcade in Wells Nex The Sea had one until a few years before.
            The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Been looking for pics of the Christchurch arcade,but to no avail.Does anyone else remember the Star Wars ride?It was like a flying saucer shape,you went inside and sat down and there were like keyboards inside.I think it spun around when you were inside it.Talking about late 70's early 80's.

tulip

Comment

I can't remember the figures being so ugly in the Hillbilly Moonshine I knew. I think I would have run a mile if they were that scary! In the clip you can just see the edges of the big boiler thing that used to scare me. It used to shake and rumble and hiss if you hit it.

Here's a picture of the outside of the Spanish City, I'm guessing it was taken in the late 80's or early 90's. The funfair has been closed for years now and all the amusements along the front are boarded up. It's quite a sorry sight.

Last edited by HG; 02-09-2010, 15:16. Reason: showing attachment
                1976 Vintage

Comment

Originally posted by Trickyvee View Post
                  Yes it was at the Spanish City
                  Thought it was!! I remember it well! I used to love going to Spanish City in the 80's. It was great! Loved the Corkscrew!! Whitley Bay was quite a nice place for a day out then. Its not that nice now imo and closing Spanish City is just outrageous!!
                  Last edited by stuckinthe80's; 02-09-2010, 17:07.
                  Heaven knows I'm miserable now.

Comment

Originally posted by tulip View Post
                    Been looking for pics of the Christchurch arcade,but to no avail.Does anyone else remember the Star Wars ride?It was like a flying saucer shape,you went inside and sat down and there were like keyboards inside.I think it spun around when you were inside it.Talking about late 70's early 80's.
                    Yes! I'd totally forgotten that. thanks!

Comment

My earliest recollection of Arcade games was the Eighties Pac man and space invaders inside a table. Wonder if some are still around?

Comment

Originally posted by Sharkmerwood View Post
                        My earliest recollection of Arcade games was the Eighties Pac man and space invaders inside a table. Wonder if some are still around?
                        im certain of it mate.
                        me and a mate run a website dedicated to old games and consoles.
                        ill pm you the link if you want.

i remember playing mario 3 viewpoint wonder boy in monster land on those big arcade machines.
                        FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Dancing Puppets

Not so much a game but one arcade I used to go in had a big box with lots of puppets on strings inside. When you put money in they'd start dancing. I was obsessed with this for a while, absolutely loved it.
                          1976 Vintage

Comment

Cool, would be good to have a look

Originally posted by darren View Post
                            im certain of it mate.
                            me and a mate run a website dedicated to old games and consoles.
                            ill pm you the link if you want.

i remember playing mario 3 viewpoint wonder boy in monster land on those big arcade machines.

Comment

Working...
                            X