Car Accessories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Car Accessories

My dad had a horn fitted to his Sierra that consisted of 3 blue plastic trumpets. They played 3 notes in a loud musical sequence and at the flick of a switch, all 3 notes as a continuous chord.

Comment

After the Dukes of Harzard came on TV a lot of cars were fitted with air horns that could play tune the General Lee made (I think it's called Dixie).

About the same time a lot of cars were fitted with gun-metal hub caps (not yet wheel trims!) that looked a bit like alloys. A sort of multi-spoke with a yellow badge. Around 1982-3 they were everywhere, but had faded away by the end of the decade.

Can you still get those coloured plastic air fresheners shaped like a tortoise on wheels? They were near omni-present in 1986-7.
      The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I can remember when CB Radio was a craze.With those long wiplash ariels or little mag mounts.
        sigpic

Comment

My mate's Capri has one of those jelly jewel traffic light air fresheners it it still. Doesn't smell any more but it's in very good nick. Probably from the late 80s/early 90s as the car was laid up from 92 until a month ago. There was also an old OS map and a mix tape of random things recorded off the radio!
          If it's lasted this long, it's worth keeping!

Comment

Krook Loc - my Dad had one for his car that looped round one of the pedals and the steering wheel to prevent theft. He used to put it on before getting out so eventually the yellow plastic part around the lock would break off because his leg would give it a good battering as he'd get out of the car...bless.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
              Can you still get those coloured plastic air fresheners shaped like a tortoise on wheels? They were near omni-present in 1986-7.
              The first car I bought my Dad put one of those on the dash. When I removed it it took about 2 hours to scrape all the glue out using solvents. I use the traffic light ones now that hang from the rear view. I bought a load of them from a £1 shop. All the packaging in in Polish I think.

I think the main ones I remember are the fingers trapped in doors, the sucker teddy stuck to one of the rear window and the guy that used to moon at the car behind. Those and horrible seat covers. What were the point in them?

Comment

I remember the Mr Moonie, which seemed almost as popular as the Garfields around 1988-90.

Comment

Originally posted by sf1378 View Post
                  Krook Loc - my Dad had one for his car that looped round one of the pedals and the steering wheel to prevent theft. He used to put it on before getting out so eventually the yellow plastic part around the lock would break off because his leg would give it a good battering as he'd get out of the car...bless.
                  Lol this flashed a forgotten memory of the crook lock my dad had for our car. It seemed quite flimsy and had red plastic covering the loopy bits that went around the steering wheel and pedal. I had a stop lock when I got my first car in '99. Big fat grey plastic covered bar with bright yellow lock to go around the wheel.
                  1976 Vintage

Comment

Not seen cars with odd coloured body panels for a good few years. It seemed standard to nip to the scrap yard to pick up any old wing or door if you had a bump and needed a replacement. I wonder if its harder to replace panels yourself now, unless people have become more vain and want pristine vehicles.
                    1976 Vintage

Comment

I do see the odd car with a non matching panel, but not nearly as many as I used to.

Comment

I remember seeing alot of cars in the mid to late 80s with a green sticker on the back window saying " My car runs on unleaded", you got these stickers from BP i think. Not seen one in years, but they always seemed to be on the rear windows of mk1 Vauxhall Carltons.

Comment

I remember seeing a lot of cars in the late 1980s-early 1990s with green coloured filler caps, as a reminded to put unleaded in.

Comment

My mk3 Cortina didn't have built in headrests on the front seats so I bought some that just slotted over the seats Click image for larger version

Name:	shame.gif
Views:	2
Size:	3.6 KB
ID:	260398....................oh, and I remember the turtle smelly's that you stuck on the dash.

Comment

Working...
                            X