X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Video Shop

Originally posted by darren View Post
    well it happens im a big collector collector of old videos.pre cert videos
    i remember seeing all the pre cert videos and the famous nasties and the covers scared the life out of me.
    covers like cannibal ferox,cannibal holocaust etc.

and now i collect them paying over 100 quid for individual pre certs.
    I have this book.. great video cover memories in this..

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Shock-Horror.../dp/1903254329

Comment

Originally posted by sixtyten View Post
      I have this book.. great video cover memories in this..

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Shock-Horror.../dp/1903254329
      Lot better when you have the films and not just the covers ;-) For those who are curious i'm sure it's an interesting read.
      sigpic

Comment

http://www.melonfarmers.co.uk/rejected.htm

some banned 80's films among the list .Not as comprehensive as other lists i have seen

http://www.melonfarmers.co.uk/nasties.htm

this seems a better list
        sigpic

Comment

Have a look at www.pre-cert.co.uk for pictures of old video covers. Use the search bar on the left hand side to find any cover from the UK and Australia. Its a great site!
          Heaven knows I'm miserable now.

Comment

you have to register before you can read 99% of the posts .The search bar is accessable though.
            Last edited by memoman; 24-08-2010, 13:44.
            sigpic

Comment

Video shops

Remember when they first got popular? Our suburban rank of shops had three at one time, all seeming ly stocked different films entirely! The one at the top of the road had loads of Atari 2600 games for 50p rentals, the one by our school was ran by a complete moron who had the great idea of leaving the boxes on the shelf all the time, meaning multiple trips up to the counter to be repeatedly told 'no, that ones out too". The one at the bottom of the road seemed to change every other week between being a video shop and a games shop, they stocked video 2000 films at a time. Why, I don't know!

I've been buying iconic ex rentals for 10p a shot for the last year, when we move we're looking for a house with a garage for a full-on cinema conversion and I thought it'd be neat to have the entrance staged as a 1980s video shop. Perusing the boxes to pick a film will bring back the memories! Might even add a beaded curtain corner ahem!
              I collect game prices for retro consoles from eBay

Comment

Re: Video shops

I remember there were a few video shops near me that also rented games, but by the time my parents got a player pre-recorded tapes were getting cheapers & we hardly rented.

I mostly used the local library that had a good selection.
                The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

yes we had about 5 video shops in our town
                  including one that only opened two hrs per day.

i cant remember any video shops in my town renting out computer games though.
                  vhs may be gone now but it was what started us watching films at home.

in fact beta was far better quality than vhs.
                  FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Ah no come on, i'm a massive (ie still use it, still collect it) Beta fan but VHS was the best. Cheaper, many more films, And the quality was only visible when you used 1hr Beta tapes. They were so thin at 3hr that the quality was as good as double play vhs. The studio quality Betacam was miles better than both, but only shares the cassette shape with Betamax- everything else is different. Beta sound was pants too, and on a 20" tv i'd argue that sound was more important than picture.

Of course a lot of pre-cert Beta tapes offer better picture and sound as they had a shorter rental life. Nowt more annoying that the film you wanted being out on the format your parents owned/rented but in on the other format!

Speaking of which, does anyone rent anything nowadays? That seems to have completely died off.

Comment

We had a few video shops in our town. Lots of other shops like the corner shop also rented videos. One of the video shops 'Rainbow TV and video' would deliver tapes that you had reserved on a saturday night. They also had other titles in the car boot of you fancied another! The rainbow and another called 'R&M video' used to have monthly lists to take home. Also a coming soon list you could reserve titles off. Those were the days. Lovefilm can't hold a candle to those stores! We did get a 'chain' type store called 'Ritz Video' this was bought out by blockbuster.
                      Last edited by stuckinthe80's; 27-02-2012, 18:34.
                      Heaven knows I'm miserable now.

Comment

Hey - Ritz Video, blimey not heard that name in more than a decade. I forgot about them. I got banned from my local one for threatening to ramraid the shop (it was all over the news at the time, ramraiding that is) because the manager refused to rent me a 15 certificate as I didnt have ID on me. Despite the fact that i'd driven down and parked right outside, front of the car facing the counter through the window. Admisssion- I was only 14 but it was the days when the Police wouldn't pull underage drivers over in our suburb Dad never twigged that I was taking the Sierra XR4x4 when he was on nightshifts, either. Might tell him when he comes up next weekend!

Comment

Originally posted by Retrogames View Post
                          Ah no come on, i'm a massive (ie still use it, still collect it) Beta fan but VHS was the best. Cheaper, many more films, And the quality was only visible when you used 1hr Beta tapes. They were so thin at 3hr that the quality was as good as double play vhs. The studio quality Betacam was miles better than both, but only shares the cassette shape with Betamax- everything else is different. Beta sound was pants too, and on a 20" tv i'd argue that sound was more important than picture. Of course a lot of pre-cert Beta tapes offer better picture and sound as they had a shorter rental life. Nowt more annoying that the film you wanted being out on the format your parents owned/rented but in on the other format!Speaking of which, does anyone rent anything nowadays? That seems to have completely died off.
                          The reason there were more films and the machines were cheaper was because more people bought vhs.it had nothing to do with vhs being the better system because it wasn't The vhs system was actually very similar to the old phillips machines.The only reason vhs won the battle of the formats was because the tapes were longer.
                          Last edited by stud1al; 28-02-2012, 01:14.

Comment

Yeah as I said VHS wasn't technically better, both looked the same on the Telly's of the era, but VHS clearly had much more of an impact on everything from people beginning to record and 'collect' tv series, low budget films becoming commonplace, cheap home movie making, to people sharing video media and the growth of home libraries of entertainment (also copyright theft?) interestingly there seems not to have been any marketing focus on 'beta being better' back in those days.

History is repeating itself now with people saying 720 tvs are inferior to 1080 tvs when all HD channels broadcast at 720 anyway!

Comment

Really? I didn't know that about HDTV. There ya go.I learn something every day at this site.

Comment

Also JVC managed to let other makers use VHS for less than Sony did with Betamax.

At one time the thinking was that video tape would just be used for home recording, & all pre-recorded material would be on videodisks, which for many years were cheaper to mass produce.

In the end buying 2 different machines was going to be too much for most potential customers.
                                The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Working...
                                X