Harvest Festival

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Harvest Festival

Never seen it. Only heard of it in the nursery rhyme. I often wondered what it was.
    "She moves in such an exciting world!"

Comment

Originally posted by Herr Grunwald View Post
      I think it's horrible stuff, got fed it as a kid and not touched it since (would insert puke smilie here if there was one )
      Very descriptive HG!

Comment

In wonder if it's best served in the pot 9 days old?
        The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

That does sound pretty nasty

Comment

I reckon I may be too old to remember this, but I thought it was delightful!

Comment

Hang on, footnote here, I liked the song Cauliflowers fluffy, great Harvesat Festival Song, and as for Peas Pudding, try it! it really is not too bad, serve it with salad or fish/chicken dippers (not that I am an advocate of cheap convenience food,but give it a go!)

Comment

I will if our estimable moderator will too.

Tbf, as a child, I got my mum to write me a note excusing me from cheesepie when it was served as a school dinner, I often stay school dinners now and it's really nice.

Comment

I've already tried it, don't like
                  The only thing to look forward to is the past

Comment

Hmph.

I'll see if Tesco has it online.

Comment

Pease Pudding with salad? No, I wouldn't fancy that, but I like it with fish and pies ( not both together!).
                      sigpic
                      'Dreams come true if you want them to'

Comment

Pease pudding is best warm with baked ham. Both are best home made too! Just like my Grandma used to make!
                        Heaven knows I'm miserable now.

Comment

I remember going to some friends of the family when I was young.

We were served very thick home made pea & ham soup as a starter, as they recently had a baby I joked that it was the only thing that all present could eat.
                          The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Harvest Festival at school?

Remember the 'Harvest Festival' at school? I do...suddenly remembered it when I was cooking my Faggots for dinner (see other thread)...I always found it iffy, we'd all be told to bring some food in, like a tin of pears or peaches or something like a bottle of Orange Barley etc and it would all be displayed in assembly - and then promptly disappear, never to be mentioned ever again...

My Mum, being my Mum - had a theory: either the teachers cherry - picked the best items or more, or that it went to old peoples homes...I think the teachers scoffed it all...

Comment

Harvest festival.Can see it now.A line of tables set up on stage at primary school which gradually filled up with food as the weeks went past.Then it was all divided up into boxes or baskets.If you class was chosen you would follow the teacher in an orderly line around the estate delivering them one by one.It wasted a few hours of the day and saved us from lessons.In those days dad had most of his garden as a veggie patch so we always took in a few odd veggies followed by a tin or two of whatever mum felt was not needed or not going to get eaten.You would never put in what was necessary to keep a growing family as it cost money.But it was never seen as good to throw any food out either so it got donated.

My younger brother and sister done the same but the foster kids which came later never got to deliver their boxes or baskets as it was by then seen as too risky.

Comment

I work in school and after thinking for many years how boring it was ...........i have had a total change of mind.......there's something quite nice about this time of year.......hanging the corn dolly on the door, the harvesting of the crops, Autumn in the air........you don't have to be religious (i'm not) to appreciate this time of year.

Comment

Working...
                                X