Ad_Forums-Top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you have one song that rounds up your entire childhood?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you have one song that rounds up your entire childhood?

I do. Stepping Out by Joe Jackson. Whenever I hear this song I'm taken back to the 80's and everything about being a child then. I find it strange that one song can evoke such a vast amount of memories and general feelings from that time.
    1976 Vintage

Re: Do you have one song that rounds up your entire childhood?

Hi Trickvee

I just cant think of only one song. After reading your post, I thought about it and got down to a dozen! But I'll keep thinking.

Comment

Several ...
      Telstar by the Tornados .. Blackpool 1962
      Whiter Shade of Pale .. Butlin's Filey 1967
      When will I see you again ... Butlin's Skegness 1974

Comment

I can think of a few songs but one that this really works with is The Bangles Manic Monday.

It was out about the time I changed schools & caught a minibus as the new school was further away from home.

They always had the radio on either Picadilly Key 103 (mostly mornings) or Radio 1 (mostly afternoons), so I got to hear a lot of what was in the charts from 1986-7.
        The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

To be honest, it's hard to pin it all on one song, as different songs remind me of different stages of my childhood, but if I took the early '80s, when I was about 9 in '81 for instance, then I would have to say that 'Making Your Mind Up' by Bucks Fizz would do it. It's hardly a cool song, but it was everywhere back then, and hearing it now takes me right back there. That, and 'Stand And Deliver' by Adam & The Ants.
          "We're the Sweeney son, and we haven't had any dinner!"

Comment

There are some good ones here. I also have many other songs that take me back to specific times then, but stepping out is the all encompassing one. It's very strange.
            1976 Vintage

Comment

There's so many, but one that stands out is Don't You Want Me by The Human League from Christmas 1981, I think it was my first white christmas, maybe that's why it stands out. Just remember it being a really cold winter, playing on the frozen river with my friends and sledging on Christmas Day.
              The only thing to look forward to is the past

Comment

In The Summertime by Mungo Jerry.
                It just reminds me of great, happy, carefree times as a child.
                sigpic
                'Dreams come true if you want them to'

Comment

Joe Dolche - Shaddap ya Face. Loved This As a Kid. It drove my Dad mad.

Spitting Image - Chicken Song. Also loved this a few years later. Drove him Mad again.

Bon Jovi - Living on a prayer. 80's hair Rock at its best. Played this for about 12 months.

Prince - Purple Rain. Memorable song as lost the old cherry why this was playing in the background.

Comment

'We Will' by Gilbert O'Sullivan.... This is my ultimate childhood song. I've always loved it and still do. It just captures growing up in a loving family. It made me feel safe and warm as a kid and I still get quite emotional when I play it nowadays cos the feelings flood back even though I'm far out of my child comfort zone now.

My teenage years just has to be Thunder Road by Bruce Springsteen

Comment

Oh and 'Vienna' by Billy Joel when I was in a more contemplative mood in mid to late teens.

Comment

Working...
                      X