Rik Mayall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rik Mayall

In the early 1980s I watched a TV programme that was supposedly broadcasting an annual event in a small country village somewhere in England. I don't remember what the event was exactly, but it might have been the end of the cricket season and the presentation of the winners cup. The programme started off by showing the 'villagers' rushing around setting up their marquee and their sound system for the event, then the audience started to arrive and take their seats. Then a face appeared round the edge of the curtain on the stage and the audience started to laugh. It was Rick Mayall, who came creeping out onto the stage saying "What? Whats funny? What are you all laughing at? It's my spots isn't it? You're all laughing at my spots".

The show went on like that, there were no other entertainers, but it was hilarious.

Can anyone remember seeing the show, and what it was called?

Re: Rik Mayall

http://uk.imdb.com/name/nm0562201/

The link is for his profile on imdb it lists his performances to date.You should find what you need to know there.
    sigpic

Comment

i love rik in bottom and the young ones.
      he also starred with ade edmondsen in both of them shows.

sad though so very few episodes of the young ones where made.
      FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

"Elephant and Castle, stick it ..........."
        Not seen any of "the comic strip presents" for a long time.

Comment

The young ones was classic.But 2 series of 6 episodes each was not that much agreed.However it is sometimes better to have quality not quantity.
          sigpic

Comment

Rik Mayall once bought my Dad a drink when Dad was the night porter at the White Hart here in Braintree.

Comment

Originally posted by memoman View Post
              The young ones was classic.But 2 series of 6 episodes each was not that much agreed.However it is sometimes better to have quality not quantity.
              indeed mate.

maybe it was the fact it cost so much so much to make is the reason there where so few episodes.
              or perhaps yhe cast wanted to do other things.
              or they decided to end it when it was on top.

so many shows go on to long.

Comment

Originally posted by willpurry View Post
                Rik Mayall once bought my Dad a drink when Dad was the night porter at the White Hart here in Braintree.
                how long ago was this mate.
                i assume it was in the eighties though.
                and what sort of a chap did he say rik was.

Comment

Finally you can buy Rik Mayall Presents.......The Complete Series which features:-

All six episodes of the 1990s ITV comedy drama series starring Rik Mayall. Episodes are: 'The Big One', 'Dirty Old Town', 'Dancing Queen', 'Micky Love', 'Briefest Encounter' and 'Clair de Lune'.

I have only seen Dancing Queen which I have been after for years after I lent a so called friend my old VHS and never got back. Will enjoy watching this again (as well as the other episodes)
                  Last edited by Beach Life; 21-11-2012, 11:16.

Comment

oh dear a so called friend.

not sure ive heard of this series.

i think he was in the new statesman as mr b*stard

Originally posted by Beach Life View Post
                    Finally you can buy Rik Mayall Presents.......The Complete Series which features:-

All six episodes of the 1990s ITV comedy drama series starring Rik Mayall. Episodes are: 'The Big One', 'Dirty Old Town', 'Dancing Queen', 'Micky Love', 'Briefest Encounter' and 'Clair de Lune'.

I have only seen Dancing Queen which I have been after for years after I lent a so called friend my old VHS and never got back. Will enjoy watching this again (as well as the other episodes)

Comment

Rik Mayall and Ade Edmondson definitely belong up there in the ranks of the great comedy teams.

Comment

Originally posted by bowbells View Post
                        In the early 1980s I watched a TV programme that was supposedly broadcasting an annual event in a small country village somewhere in England. I don't remember what the event was exactly, but it might have been the end of the cricket season and the presentation of the winners cup. The programme started off by showing the 'villagers' rushing around setting up their marquee and their sound system for the event, then the audience started to arrive and take their seats. Then a face appeared round the edge of the curtain on the stage and the audience started to laugh. It was Rick Mayall, who came creeping out onto the stage saying "What? Whats funny? What are you all laughing at? It's my spots isn't it? You're all laughing at my spots".

The show went on like that, there were no other entertainers, but it was hilarious.

Can anyone remember seeing the show, and what it was called?
                        This was a documentary called "Weekend in Wallop", I remember watching it too. It had other comedians there too including I think Billy Connolly all performing in a village show beer tent
                        I've been lucky enough to see Rik Mayall a few times, a couple of the Bottom live shows and on his live stand up tour he did back in about '88 or '89.
                        sigpic

Comment

rik and ade comedy legends frm there time in bottom and the young ones.

i loved them guest house paradiso i think i got the name right.

Originally posted by victorbrunswick View Post
                          Rik Mayall and Ade Edmondson definitely belong up there in the ranks of the great comedy teams.

Comment

Guest House Paradiso is most correct. Rik's live tour was in 1989, he had Andy De La Tour with him at one point.For any Rik info you may not be sure of, come and ask me, if you want to, I run the Rik fanpage on Facebook. :-)
                            - Rik Mayall Fanpage On Facebook
                            - My retro Youtube channel.

Come Join The Fun!

Comment

Working...
                            X