Mario is 25 years old!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mario is 25 years old!

I'm sure many of you will have seen the promotional campaign on TV at the moment featuring celebrities celebrating the 25th Anniversary of everyone's favourite moustachioed plumber, Super Mario. Mario is recognised the world over and his games continue to entertain many people of varying ages.

While I have never been the most hardcore of Mario fans, he has given me many happy gaming memories over the years, in particular 1997’s Mario Kart 64 which to this day remains one of my favourite games of all time. Getting four people playing that game simultaneously was a right laugh and while it could be tricky to master in parts, anybody could pick up a pad and be hooked instantly.

Below are two of my favourite pieces of Nintendo artwork, both from the early 90’s.

Click image for larger version

Name:	kart.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	13.6 KB
ID:	264159 Click image for larger version

Name:	mario.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	13.6 KB
ID:	264160

Happy Birthday Mario!!!!

Re: Mario is 25 years old!

i have always been a huge mario fan.
    never really liked mario kart.

mario 1,2 3, lost levels, mario world, yoshi's island, mario 64, etc..
    love all the above.
    FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

I never really got into platformers even in their heyday and Mario was the king of platform games. I was one of those less sociable individuals who could be found steadily working his way through a dungeon in something like Bards Tale.

Actually I thought Mario's first appearence was in Donkey Kong which makes him closer to 30?
      "Spare me your space-age techno babble Attila The Hun"

Comment

Indeed. 1981 was his debut in Donkey Kong, although originally called "Jumpman"

Comment

i remember that ST.i think 25 yrs old means when he first appeard in a mario game.
          which im sure is mario 1.

Comment

I still play old mario games nowadays. Last week i played mario kart on the SNES at a friends home. He has a special games room, with some modern design and some oldschool design in it. When you are sitting here and playig games you feel like you are in the game. Really nice idea. I love to play the old Mario games. Have to find my Gameboy to play Mario World. What do you think about Wario?

Comment

Not a mario fan prefer Sonic.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
                i remember that ST.i think 25 yrs old means when he first appeard in a mario game.
                which im sure is mario 1.
                I remember that my brother had a Game and Watch in the 1980s called Mario Bros. Wikipedia says it was released in 1983.

Comment

I managed to defeat Bowser in 'Super Mario 64' (When you did that it went through loads of credits & said 'thank you very much for playing my game'). However, as far as I can remember I never actually got to the part where he got the wings on his cap.
                  Does anybody know exactly how you were supposed to go about doing that?
                  There are tutorials on how to play the game on YouTube.
                  "The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the universe and everything is .....42"

Comment

It was one of the stages of one of the levels where you fire yourself out of the cannon.

Comment

'Super Mario Sunshine' on the Gamecube was pretty good.
                      Has anybody on here ever played that?
                      "The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the universe and everything is .....42"

Comment

Yeah I picked up Sunshine bud, I never really gave it a fair go unfortunately. It was one of those games I bought when most of the money I earned just got spent on games and DVDs, haha. I bought so many games during that Gamecube/PS2 era that I never really had any intention of playing through, most of which eventually saw the bottom of a charity bag, Sunshine included.

I did give it a few hours of time though and it was alright but I have never been great at Mario's actual platform adventures, I actually prefer watching other (more skilled people) play them!

On the subject of Sunshine though, there were some great Sunshine-inspired courses on the Mario Tennis game, also on Gamecube. There was a mini-game where it was you facing off against a giant squid who would lob tennis balls at you, it was a bit of a test!

Comment

sadly i never thought it that great.
                          graphically its great butt not a patch on most other proper mario games.

Originally posted by philipdalton View Post
                          'Super Mario Sunshine' on the Gamecube was pretty good.
                          Has anybody on here ever played that?

Comment

mario one of the best games ever made i can play it over and over again my best is mario world i go through it and try collect every coin joshi coin and open every level a quicker than be4 still carnt collect every coin lol
                            THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE TRUST NO ONE

Comment

I used to love the mario games on the snes then came sonic on the mega drive and I fell in love with that little blue super sonic hedgehog.
                              It's funny in a way that I can remember palying mario in a supermarket on one of those 10p games machines then a year or so later sitting down on the snes playing the game.Every thing seemed identicle on the snes then what it did on the 10p slot machines.I was an instant mario master player which annoyed a few friends and my ex at the time,lol.My brother became a huge mario fan and ended up with most of the games over the years including most of my old ones.He liked mario cart a lot.

The mario bros film was a bit of a dissapointment when it came out.Still not got around to re-watching it to see if I feel any diffrent about it now I am older.I suppose I would of liked to see it follow the game characters a lot more then what it did at the time.They could of done so much more with Yoshi and Bowser.

Comment

Working...
                              X