This is england '86

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is england '86

Hi. Is anyone else watching 'This is England '86' on Ch4? It was episode 2 last night and i'm really enjoying it! The story line is good and the characters are likeable. The only annoying thing is that the outside scenes show houses with modern upvc doors and windows! A small gripe I know but I think the producers should try to get things as accurate as possible. That said its still really enjoyable imo! You guys should give it a try!
    Heaven knows I'm miserable now.

Re: This is england '86

Its ok, the film was miles better though, the series seems to be toned down a bit more than the film with less violence, swearing etc.

Comment

Don't know why this has been moved here! Its not anything to do with a song. Thanks

Comment

Moved to members lounge, not sure what it's doing in songs either
        The only thing to look forward to is the past

Comment

Last nights episode was a bit depressing, did anyone else notice the satellite dishes on houses even tho it was 3 years before they came out?

Comment

I agree, Its not very accurate at all! Loads of Upvc and satellite dishes. Last nights was a bit depressing too.

Comment

I remember spotting a few satellite dishes in Life On Mars, along with those street lights without a horizontal arm, which look 1990s at the earliest.
              The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Yes, the double-glazing inaccuracies were what hit me most.

They did racism in the film, so it was very predictable they would do this. You could see it coming a mile off.

Funnily enough, I've always been a Shane Meadows fan, but he didn't direct the first two parts - which were really good - but directed the third, which was tackily directed and nasty.

I hope he redeems himself in the last part.

Comment

I'm enjoying it too and I suppose to be fair there probably isn't that many outdoor locations left to film without PVC windows and satellite dishes.
                  sigpic

Comment

One of the characters was wearing a Cure t-shirt with the Bloodflowers cover design on, that album was not released until 2000 just 14 years out

Comment

All in all I thought it was a good mini-series with great characters, and that bloke got what he deserved. But, again, predictable in theme.
                      Again, the last two eps were'nt as well done, and they were directed by Meadows.
                      I'm a fan, but he does these improvised scenes which are often key scenes and they turn out wobbly at best.
                      That Middlands film he did had a scene with Cathy Burke and Robert Carlyle and it was all over the place- even with those guys- and scenes with Lol and thingymabob and with her dad were messy.
                      He's an excellant director, but if you're giving actors free range you have to have solid guidelines for what/where the scene is about/going.
                      Sorry to be a pompous wanna-be critic, but that's my opinion and I wouldn't bother if I didn't like the work and didn't care

Comment

Working...
                      X