Ad_Forums-Top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Odd looking teddy, looks a bit like an ant-1970s?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Odd looking teddy, looks a bit like an ant-1970s?

Hi,

been thinking about posting this one for a very long time....well, here goes, basically, I have an extremely old and well loved teddy I called Poochie, well I know Hasbro made a pink and violet dog teddy called Poochie but I named mine Poochie all on my own from an early age, I'm 32 now. My Dad bought my Poochie originally for my elder Sister around 1974-6 in Leamington Spa from the local Oxfam, must have been in and around the town centre as they did go to Jefferson Park quite a lot on weekends with my Sister as a toddler back then. I was born in 1978 and Poochie became mine...he still is and in a funny way hes like Linus Van Pelts from Peanuts/Charlie Brown, blue blanket to me to this day...

He has an oval head, white plastic eyes with black pupils, when Dad bought him second hand his eyes had become complete white and I repainted them years later....He has two ears on the top of his head that are long like antenae. He has a brownish fur head + face and torso, his paws stick out at at his sides and are of a lighter brown material as are his long legs with the darker brown matching his face/head on the tips of his feet.

Has anyone else heard of a soft toy like this? Its definitely factory made, having looked at the way the fabric has been sewn together, and the plastic studded in with rivet type eyes are also a giveaway to such provenance.... I am thinking its from the late 1960s, perhaps a soft toy character from Japan or even Europe as whomever had Poochie before my Sister and I must have got it a few years if not more earlier for him to end up in the local Oxfam shop in the 1970s....

I did take him to a teddy bear shop in Guildford where the owner is an expert and he said he may well be a Japanese toy....

Did anyone else have one? I'll try and post a pic if I can....if no one else here knows of or had one I guess I'll stick to my fun backstory that Poochies the last of his kind from the Teddy World and is actually a 'PlopLord' from the now extinct planet of Plop....(Teddy version of TimeLords....lol ) and no, he's so old he can't regenerate anymore incase anyones wondering....

Well, enough whittering, any helpful titbits most welcome....

Re: Odd looking teddy, looks a bit like an ant-1970s?

It would be great if you could get a picture on board, as the images in my mind that I've drawn up are rather bizarre
    Heather

Comment

Sounds odd..
      pictures please

Comment

Will try and get a pic sorted, will have to borrow a neighbours camera for that so bear with me. Until then, maybe a member will recall my odd little 'alien' teddy...? Hope so, would be nice to see if I can buy another one.

Comment

Been a long time coming but heres a pic of him....did anyone ever have or see or know someone who had one like this? Bear in mind, I've put knitted teddy bear clothing on him to protect his old body. His arms and long legs were a creamy grey - like inside his ears/inner 'antennae' and the torso is the same colour as his face and feet tips...

Comment

I can honestly say with out a shadow of a doubt.. I have NEVER seen anything like that in my life before

Heather

Comment

Originally posted by huggie74 View Post
              I can honestly say with out a shadow of a doubt.. I have NEVER seen anything like that in my life before

I took him to a Teddy Bear collector/dealer in Godalming once called The Bear Garden and even he'd never seen one like this before...real curio isn't he? But he is adorable nonetheless.

Comment

Was there a "cuddly" toy version of Donnie Darko in the late '60's?

Comment

What an odd looking teddy.Teddy?.

Think I may of seen something similar years ago,but not quite sure possibly at a vintage toy stall at Bath antique market,either that or a shop in Frome that deals in vintage and old stuff.

My first thought was that it could of been home made possibly using one of those kits with the ring clip eyes,but your original post counts that one out.I just have a strange feeling perhaps your teddy could be a bunny instead.

Comment

Yep. Perhaps so. He reminds me a bit of 'Miffy' the rabbit from the old kids story books...

Comment

It looks a bit odd, I don't know if I would have liked one of them when I was young.
                      The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Hehe my mother say's are you sure it isn't Yoda!!
                        Heather

Comment

actually heres a hand crocheted yoda ? hmm i thought she was nuts at first but could you be slightly out on your years 1977?

Click image for larger version

Name:	yoda.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	260098
                          Heather

Comment

No, Dad definitely got it pre-Star Wars, he remembered how he bought it well because he genuinely liked it - it wasn't very often he liked toys of any kind really - he was that sort of a man so the day stuck in his head...

Like I said, he's definitely factory made - he has foam stuffing inside his body that was commonly used in the 60s and 70s on soft toys...I reckon hes from Japan really. Given the uniqueness and the fact that there were US Airforces stationed in the UK maybe a serviceman had bought Poochie in the 60s for his children perhaps and brought it back with him...

I'm pretty amazed no one here remembers anything like this. But, it adds to his specialness.

Comment

Oh well it didn't cost anything to throw her idea in
                              Heather

Comment

Working...
                              X