Ice cream in bowls?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ice cream in bowls?

How come no one takes bowls out to the ice cream man to be filled these days?

Re: Ice cream in bowls?

Not sure why. Do you remember queueing for an ice-cream only to discover the vendor only sold small blocks of ice-cream in a wrapper that had to be inserted into an oblong wafer thing? Very precarious and such a let down

Comment

I've never heard of doing this either, was it a Northern thing?
      sigpic
      'Dreams come true if you want them to'

Comment

Oh goodness thats an other forgotten gem. We used to run out to the ice cream van clutching a bowl from the kitchen. Don't have a clue if it was cheaper like that 'cos the vendor saved on the waffers or what, but I don't think it can be a northern thing 'cos I'm in South Lincs and we did it here.

Keep the posts coming, they may jog my memory on other things from the distant past. LOL :-)
        Last edited by The Low Country; 21-05-2010, 22:03. Reason: missed a word out

Comment

Not a Northern thing, we used to do it in the 70's in the South too
          Happy Days

Comment

Especially if you were lucky enough for the ice cream man to stick a broken flake in the top as a bonus!!

Originally posted by sixtyten View Post
            Not a Northern thing, we used to do it in the 70's in the South too
            Happy Days

Comment

Originally posted by Seventies Child View Post
              How come no one takes bowls out to the ice cream man to be filled these days?
              My Nana used to send me across to Caddy's Ice cream van with a bowl. Caddy's had a big school bell to let you know he was there and had an Ice Cream parlour (like an American diner) in Dewsbury, W.Yorks. It closed in 1980 after a compulsory purchase order bought the building to make a Car park. The Gorgeous recipe died or will die with Mr Cadamarteri because he stopped making it in disgust. BIG SHAME.

Comment

We used to have regular ice cream man Popeye & Tonibell, but there was a few occasions when a van came round with a strange Italian ice cream.. we used to get a huge bowl of it. Never tasted ice cream like it since

Comment

I definatly don't remember anyone going out with bowls lol that sounds so funny!

Comment

It does, it just wasn't the done thing in our area, you had ice cream in a cone, tub or in between two wafers
                    Heather

Comment

We used to get ice cream in bowls too, much easier than carrying 3 or 4 cones.
                      The only thing to look forward to is the past

Comment

Originally posted by sixtyten View Post
                        We used to have regular ice cream man Popeye & Tonibell, but there was a few occasions when a van came round with a strange Italian ice cream.. we used to get a huge bowl of it. Never tasted ice cream like it since
                        There You go with the Italian ice cream! I bet it was like Caddys. It was sublime and I've never tasted anything as good since, damn, I'm filling up thinking about it. My Nana used to get it as a dessert for us all after Sunday Dinner cos she didn't have a Freezer back then. That or she made an enormous homemade rice pudding with a gorgeous skin on that I could always have. :cry: I wanna be 10 again.

Comment

I think it's a food hygeine law thing plus the cost would be expensive.I remember people taking bowls to my local chippy when i was a kid.I remember them using newspaper but that got banned down to food safety laws because of the print on the newspaper.But even as a kid i never saw anyone take a bowl to a icecream van.More of a case of the kids asking for some money to fetch an icecream.
                          sigpic

Comment

Stuart Maconie talks about people taking bowls to the chippy in his 'Pies & Prejudice' book. I don't recall ever seeing anyone taking bowls to an ice cream van, but as I'm from Kent, it could be something to do with that. Besides, I usually asked for a Toffee Crumble ice lolly, and that would've looked ridiculous in a bowl!
                            "We're the Sweeney son, and we haven't had any dinner!"

Comment

I cant remember peeps taking bowls to the Ice cream van either, i remember people taking Jugs to the pub getting them filled with lager then going straight home with them though, when i was a kid.

Comment

Working...
                              X