Eating willicks (winkles) at the seaside

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Eating willicks (winkles) at the seaside

I used to like cockles, except the sand in them would put me off a bit. Whelks are way too chewy. Mussels are disgusting. Never had a winkle, I must try one some day (ooh er missus!)
    sigpic
    'Dreams come true if you want them to'

Comment

Limpet update! Well I didn't have much luck getting them off the rocks. Despite unsuspecting lunges with a knife and and some swift bashings with a stone I still only got one but I boiled that one for a couple of minutes and gave it a whirl. The verdict? Not bad. A bit chewy but not a bad taste I looked for winkles too but couldn't find any
      1976 Vintage

Comment

From the youngest age my grandparents would take me down to the East Coast and as soon as the tide was out you'd be amongst the stones for the winkles......as I grew up I remember taking my family on the same day out, only we trained the kids and this time went armed with plastic tubs.....one day we picked up twenty seven pints of winkles......we eat well and so did our neighbours.......I laugh when we Brits sneer at the French for eating snails !, yet the winkle is a snail and we've been eating them since the Romans invaded this Country......lovely.....

Comment

Working...
        X