Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: What car did you learn to drive in?

Default Re: What car did you learn to drive in?

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    Great choice !!
    That was a fantastic and unique car. It's a shame that they stopped making them. The Mk2 is more of a sports car but it's oversized and overweight and reminds me of hairdressers from Essex. The Mk3 is just another convertible - give me a T-bar anyday over this.

It feels a bit strange at first having the engine behind you instead of in front of you, and it is RWD, but you soon get used to it.

How I ended up learning to drive in an MR2 is an interesting story. My driving instructor offered his services to members of a certain organisation I was a member of, so I wasn't the only person from my area to learn to drive in it, but he generally didn't offer his services on the open market. A Toyota MR2 might appear at first to be a rather strange choice of car but it's very easy to handle and feels like a proper drivers car due to its proportions. There is no way I would have wanted to learn to drive in a supermini powered by a diesel engine. They are harder to learn to drive in.

I passed my driving test first time.

Quote Originally Posted by Arran View Post
    That was a fantastic and unique car. It's a shame that they stopped making them. The Mk2 is more of a sports car but it's oversized and overweight and reminds me of hairdressers from Essex. The Mk3 is just another convertible - give me a T-bar anyday over this.

It feels a bit strange at first having the engine behind you instead of in front of you, and it is RWD, but you soon get used to it.

How I ended up learning to drive in an MR2 is an interesting story. My driving instructor offered his services to members of a certain organisation I was a member of, so I wasn't the only person from my area to learn to drive in it, but he generally didn't offer his services on the open market. A Toyota MR2 might appear at first to be a rather strange choice of car but it's very easy to handle and feels like a proper drivers car due to its proportions. There is no way I would have wanted to learn to drive in a supermini powered by a diesel engine. They are harder to learn to drive in.

I passed my driving test first time.
    Same .. I thought Iíd failed soon into the test as I could only turn the car round in FIVE turns as the car was huge and the side road was narrow .. turned out it didnít matter as long as you did it safely ..

The funny part was that I had a warm up lesson immediately before the actual test and he had me practicing my dodgy reversing ( still is ) in a cobbled back street .. anyway minutes before the test I managed to reverse around a corner in a little back street and crashed into some old style metal dustbins !!

Great confidence boost .. thanks mate !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

At the same time I was driving an E30 BMW 320i but it had automatic transmission.

A dreadful piece of **** called a Simca 1000. For those of you who haven't a clue what that looked like, here it is :

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1973_Simca_1000_GL.jpg  

I don't think Simcas ever sold well over here, they didn't seem to have the presence of the other French brands in spite of having 1-2 innovative designs, & poor rust proofing didn't help either.
    The Trickster On The Roof

Talbots were Simcas. Chrysler took over both Rootes and Simca then in the late 1970s sold them to Peugeot.

The last Simca was the Peugeot 309 manufactured between 1985 and 1994. It was originally planned to be called the Talbot Arizona

I recall hurting my shoulder lifting the bonnet of a Sunbeam Rapier up ..

Flamin massive bonnet !!

Sorry for the tangent .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro