Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: What car did you learn to drive in?

Default Re: What car did you learn to drive in?

My test date was also memorable...Valentine's Day 1980. My wife also passed her test on Valentine's Day but in 1993, and we also had the same examiner. My instructor placed a piece of black tape on the bottom of the car's rear window right at the centre. He said that when reversing around a corner to keep that tape on the kerb edge and it would help keep the car reversing straight. Was that something other instructors did?

Quote Originally Posted by staffslad View Post
    My test date was also memorable...Valentine's Day 1980. My wife also passed her test on Valentine's Day but in 1993, and we also had the same examiner. My instructor placed a piece of black tape on the bottom of the car's rear window right at the centre. He said that when reversing around a corner to keep that tape on the kerb edge and it would help keep the car reversing straight. Was that something other instructors did?
    Sounds like an interesting idea m my reversing is still dodgy !

Can you explain it another way ??

On the inside of the back car windscreen he stuck a small piece of black tape. It was halfway along the windscreen, right at the bottom. One of the tasks to be performed on the test is reversing around a corner. He told me many pupils had trouble keeping the car straight when reversing, particularly around a corner while being half-turned in their seats looking through the back window. He said that while reversing, to ensure that the car reverses straight and parallel with the kerb, then just move the steering wheel until the piece of tape on the back window is on the edge of the kerb. If you make sure that the tape remains just touching the kerb edge as you reverse then the car's path will remain parallel to the kerb and should not veer off. It really worked for me when I was learning to drive in that car, though I must admit that I haven't used it since learning to drive. I wasn't sure if it was a trick all instructors showed their pupils or unique to my instructor.

I've heard of sticking tape to the rear side windows to help when reversing into parking spaces.
    The Trickster On The Roof

Interesting .

I've seen the idea of a tennis ball on a piece of string hanging from the garage ceiling so the ball taps on the rear windscreen who it nears the back wall ...

My instructor taught me to drive in a new Mitsubishi Lancer in '92 and my first car was a Subaru Mini Jumbo 700.

Hi Richard, My instructor put the tape on the back window, not side windows. I found it really useful when reversing around a corner.

This beautiful beast

Toyota MR2 Mk1.

A very agile and easy to handle car.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MR2-1.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Arran View Post
    This beautiful beast

Toyota MR2 Mk1.

A very agile and easy to handle car.
    Great choice !!

My driving instructor was a rather ‘big’ guy ..so he needed a car .
    It was a either a Vauxhall Carlton or Ford Granada ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My driving instructor was also a very tall guy, and his car was comically small (I think it was a Mk3 Fiesta) for such an oversized fella, his seat was so far back it was like he was sitting on the back seat, like High Tower.

I remember once being sat at the lights and I took a bit too long to pull away and the car behind honked me, he told me to let them overtake on the next straight and to get behind them at the lights, then as soon as the lights changed he let them have it on the hooter. XD It was Essex after all.

I had a few lessons in my dad's company van, a MK1 Astra Van, it was brown. The inside was carpeted and had welding gear in including welding blankets so smelled of lanolin and metal. Us three kids used to sit in the back of that when we went shopping as a family, back when it was allowed and you didn't need seat belts.