No announcement yet.

what do people think of kids tv today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: what do people think of kids tv today?

Originally posted by Herr Grunwald View Post
    I must admit a good pump makes me chortle as it did when i was a kid
    HA HA! Here Here!!!

Anyhow, that said, Kids TV today? Its awful...Hart Beat had Morph in it....

We gre up with great shows, cartoons etc, now its....truly dire.

Comment

For those of you sniggering about breaking wind, may I recommend a show called Gassie. It's a Lassie spoof and from the title i'm sure you can all guess Gassie's novel form of communication; and yes, it's aimed at children.
      "GAME OVER MAN, GAME OVER"

Comment

I just wacthed the Gassie sketch it is very funny indeed . I love a good fart joke (farting preacher 5 had me in tears!), but what I watched that morning was just truely bizarre. I have found that it was called Boobah's. Here is an example of what I did see that morning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJvHr...eature=related

They do briefly fly by fart propulsion in that vid almost at the end (3:12). I had to ask myself if I was still asleep! What does that teach kids? Its not even fun to watch

I also agreee about the cartoons, they are really dire from what I have seen.

Comment

That Boobah stuff is terrible. I bet it is made by the same people as tellytubbies. Utter dross. They keep saying it's especially designed for babies and pre-schoolers but it's an insult to their intellegence! When I was a baby I was watching the Clangers. I can't remember watching the Clangers at all but I'm assured that I loved it. They had to get their food from the soup dragon. Now that's a story!
          1976 Vintage

Comment

I think I might have brought this up before on these boards, but I look at kids TV today and see a real lack of decent Saturday morning television. Seriously, how awesome did Saturday mornings used to be as a kid? Just going from my childhood in particular we had Going Live, Ghost Train, Live and Kicking, What's Up Doc and the brilliant SM:TV Live.

SM:TV Live in particular was one that I wasn't a big fan of at the time, it was only looking back that I realised how good it actually was. It was one of those shows that had stuff to keep Kids happy but the interaction between the presenters in both hosting and sketches had so much adult humour it was almost shocking! Seriously, get on Youtube and search for the 'Captain Justice' skecthes, quite possibly the best thing Ant and Dec ever did.

What I miss about these kinds of shows was when an act like Trevor and Simon on Going Live/Live and Kicking or Ant and Dec on SM:TV would be mucking about in a sketch, and you would be able to hear the rest of the crew cracking up behind the cameras.

As I say. I'm talking purely from my lifetime of Saturday Morning stuff but I am aware of the likes of Swapshop, Tiswas, Mersey Pirate and Number 73. I think I went on a bit there but what has happened to the Saturday Morning shows we all watched as kids?
            Last edited by Palazzo; 25-09-2010, 19:25.

Comment

Is it me or nowadays do the presenters seem more interested in themselves than the programmes they are in?

Comment

Originally posted by Palazzo View Post
                I think I might have brought this up before on these boards, but I look at kids TV today and see a real lack of decent Saturday morning television. Seriously, how awesome did Saturday mornings used to be as a kid? Just going from my childhood in particular we had Going Live, Ghost Train, Live and Kicking, What's Up Doc and the brilliant SM:TV Live.

SM:TV Live in particular was one that I wasn't a big fan of at the time, it was only looking back that I realised how good it actually was. It was one of those shows that had stuff to keep Kids happy but the interaction between the presenters in both hosting and sketches had so much adult humour it was almost shocking! Seriously, get on Youtube and search for the 'Captain Justice' skecthes, quite possibly the best thing Ant and Dec ever did.

What I miss about these kinds of shows was when an act like Trevor and Simon on Going Live/Live and Kicking or Ant and Dec on SM:TV would be mucking about in a sketch, and you would be able to hear the rest of the crew cracking up behind the cameras.

As I say. I'm talking purely from my lifetime of Saturday Morning stuff but I am aware of the likes of Swapshop, Tiswas, Mersey Pirate and Number 73. I think I went on a bit there but what has happened to the Saturday Morning shows we all watched as kids?
                -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                sure on itv there is no kids shows.

think it was called citv ran from say half 3 to half 5 monday to friday.
                had shows like knightmare inspector gadget etc.
                -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                i grew up on this and then at the same time there was philip schofield with gordon the gopher in the broom cupboard.
                bbc had grange hill,byker grove etc.
                both had such quality shows.
                all itv has now is cooking,and midsomer murders and antique shows.
                nowt against them but i so miss citv.
                sat mornings is just more cooking shows where is going live.
                FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

check this out palazzo.
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuGMR2vXmi8
                  and another.
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=et9-mnBwYOc
                  Last edited by darren; 26-09-2010, 00:37.

Comment

Some right memories in those clips there mate, not just the shows themselves but the adverts too. Push Pops, N64, old Frosties adverts, fantastic! I remember that Danielle woman from CITV, she was a bit loud and ended up working on that karaoke show on Channel 5, I think Suggs hosted it.

I loved Live and Kicking although the final few series were terrible, it got a right trouncing up against SM:TV Live on ITV. I actually did a double take when I watched that second clip because I'm almost certain that the lad sitting next to Andy Peters on the sofa is someone who I actually went to school with! I will have to get in touch with him and find out, I'm certain it's actually him.

Comment

I must admit I don't watch ITV if I can help it but I do catch a bit of childrens TV on BBC2 in the morning before work. I do like Shaun the Sheep and Timmy Time and find 'In the Night Garden' strangely watchable but most of it is absolute dross!

One programme that really annoys me is 'Trapped!' on BBC2, the object of the game seems to be to lie, cheat and decieve your friends to win, what sort of message is that sending across?

Comment

Originally posted by Gothic View Post
                        I must admit I don't watch ITV if I can help it but I do catch a bit of childrens TV on BBC2 in the morning before work. I do like Shaun the Sheep and Timmy Time and find 'In the Night Garden' strangely watchable but most of it is absolute dross!

One programme that really annoys me is 'Trapped!' on BBC2, the object of the game seems to be to lie, cheat and decieve your friends to win, what sort of message is that sending across?
                        agree with you about tapped.
                        yes it learns you a thing or two.
                        it learns tou how lie,cheat,deceive etc.

that is just a disgrace whuy would anyone want to learn or watch that.

why not have a show based around trust.
                        every show is a group of say 5 friends who work together to win money.

Comment

Originally posted by colwn View Post
                          Hi - this is sort of linked into threads on here about how great kids tv was back in the day.

I'm guessing that many here - like me - remember some great kids tv shows on ITV (How2, Book Tower, The Adventure Game). And many - again like me - are now parents and have noticed how things have changed. ITV hardly does any new kids tv anymore.

I just wondered how you think today's kids viewing compares, particularly for older kids. There was a lot of talk about a crisis and things getting worse and I'd like to know if it's true that kids are watching mainly US programmes like everyone says. And maybe that doesn't really matter?
                          In a quick repliance ...... "trash" ... nothing of it is worth bothering with, it's all rubbish sadly, sorry.

Comment

Aren't kids meant to be more sophisticated nowadays? I can't see much evidence of that in most of the kids TV I see nowadays. The Beeb still puts out some quality stuff (like the aforementioned Horrible Histories) although I don't think it's a patch on the time when we were getting drama like The Changes or Vision On/Take Hart or edutainment (sorry for that word) stuff like Think Of A Number but that's about it for the UK. Kids ITV seems to exist solely on Horrid Henry and repeats of Art Attack (remember the heyday of stuff like Children of the Stones, Chocky, Knightmare and the like?).

As for the US cable/satellite channels; there's a few animated things that are cool but mostly they're throwaway rubbish (can't really complain at that as we had the same with Hanna-Barbara stuff back then) but don't get me started on the teen comedies (and I use the term very loosely). Then again, we did have Rentaghost...

Comment

Amongst the dreadul things children are offered these days, there are occasional gems; some have already been mentioned. For example, I think CBBC's 'Leonardo' is great. But when I asked the children in my class if they watched it, I just got 28 blank looks! Strange. They loved The Sarah Jane Adventures.

Comment

Having spent time in Texas recently, I can say all the stuff the USA exports over here for the kids is terrible patronising **** biscuits. The preschool stuff is nauseating, the comedy drama is none existent. When it comes to kids entertainment, the USA really through smart out the door. There are some things like Spongebob that still carry that quality of good writing and are actually funny, but 99% of it is utter tripe.

Comment

Working...
                                X