No announcement yet.

what do people think of kids tv today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: what do people think of kids tv today?

As I put in the Grange Hill thread I think there should be a petition to bring it back .. even on another Station! Programes like Grange Hill and Byker grove so helped find TV stars of the future and this is lost! The people who make EastEnders and Coronation Street will regret they never tried to save programes like Grange Hill and Byker Grove in future years (say 20) when they can not find actors who are young when they are needed!

Comment

Eric Morcambe said it best....

'What do you think of that then....?!'

'RUBBISH!!!!'

Kids tv now is awful. There aren't any Saturday morning shows like Going Live or Tis Was or even SMTV: Live, Dick n Dom in da Bungalow, Smart was also brilliant. The Sarah Jane Adventures was too. All they show are stupid shows or Manga style cartoons that are...boring. I think the 1970s and 1980s kids had it best, growing up I was lucky to see repeats of things like Mr Ben, Bagpuss, The Clangers, Ivor the Engine, Noggin The Nogg, Hart Beat (Tony Hart), Morph, Alfie Atkins, Bod, etc, etc...Even Blue Peters awful now and really should be taken off the air. I actually found it disgusting when one of their presenters left and then she decided to do a photo shoot for a lads mag...Now they seem to show a lot of kids dross on satelite or digital channels and all the US kids channels keep showing i-Carly, True Jackson, etc, etc...one of the worst cartoons is Generator Rex, I also don't like the latest Ben 10 cartoons. The original Ben 10 was fun, bright, funny and colourful...While I liked the Grange Hill of old I didn't really like Byker Grove...those shows should stay in the past. Whats sad is that kids tv simply lacks the innovation of kids tv of the past. The funny thing is, The Inbetweeners is more like real life for kids of my generation and even now but is too adult in content to be seen as a kids show...

Comment

Originally posted by sf1378 View Post

'RUBBISH!!!!'

Kids tv now is awful. There aren't any Saturday morning shows like Going Live or Tis Was or even SMTV: Live, Dick n Dom in da Bungalow, Smart was also brilliant. The Sarah Jane Adventures was too. All they show are stupid shows or Manga style cartoons that are...boring. I think the 1970s and 1980s kids had it best, growing up I was lucky to see repeats of things like Mr Ben, Bagpuss, The Clangers, Ivor the Engine, Noggin The Nogg, Hart Beat (Tony Hart), Morph, Alfie Atkins, Bod, etc, etc...Even Blue Peters awful now and really should be taken off the air. I actually found it disgusting when one of their presenters left and then she decided to do a photo shoot for a lads mag...Now they seem to show a lot of kids dross on satelite or digital channels and all the US kids channels keep showing i-Carly, True Jackson, etc, etc...one of the worst cartoons is Generator Rex, I also don't like the latest Ben 10 cartoons. The original Ben 10 was fun, bright, funny and colourful...While I liked the Grange Hill of old I didn't really like Byker Grove...those shows should stay in the past. Whats sad is that kids tv simply lacks the innovation of kids tv of the past. The funny thing is, The Inbetweeners is more like real life for kids of my generation and even now but is too adult in content to be seen as a kids show...
        True sf1378, Show's like Going Live were brilliant as was others like The 8:15 From Manchester as well.

Comment

'RUBBISH!!!!'

-edited for space.
          All those shows you mention growing up with were pre-school Watch With Mother (when it was still using that slot name) programmes and the fact that you liked Grange Hill but didn't like Byker Grove (which were running at the same time) shows that even then you couldn't please everyone. I have no love for Generator Rex (or others like it) but they're really no worse than He-Man and the other toy advert cartoons in the '80s or stuff like Space Sentinels in the '70s. There was dross then as there is now. What I really miss is a decent amount of locally produced stuff for kids. There are a few, pretty much all from the BBC, but not enough.

As for The Inbetweeners, I don't really see how that's relevant. If you took out the adultness it would just be a comedy Grange Hill or Byker Grove.

Comment

Originally posted by Wil View Post
            All those shows you mention growing up with were pre-school Watch With Mother (when it was still using that slot name) programmes and the fact that you liked Grange Hill but didn't like Byker Grove (which were running at the same time) shows that even then you couldn't please everyone. I have no love for Generator Rex (or others like it) but they're really no worse than He-Man and the other toy advert cartoons in the '80s or stuff like Space Sentinels in the '70s. There was dross then as there is now. What I really miss is a decent amount of locally produced stuff for kids. There are a few, pretty much all from the BBC, but not enough.

As for The Inbetweeners, I don't really see how that's relevant. If you took out the adultness it would just be a comedy Grange Hill or Byker Grove.

So basically the shows I've mentioned cannot be classed as kids shows in your view? Odd. Also, no you don't see the point I was making about The Inbetweeners-its like how school really is thesedays or even when I was a kid. Grange Hill in truth isn't like how school is these days really, nor did it show how kids where when it was coming to an end. As for Byker Grove? It was stupid. As for the classic cartoons I mentioned? Well, I somehow doubt the pap of today will be as well remembered as the shows of my childhood....I think your disagreeing with me for the sake of it really.

Comment

I'd say my highschool years resembled those of The Inbetweeners more than Grange Hill. Grange Hill was very sanitised and we all know life isn't like that.

Comment

'RUBBISH!!!!'

sure there is no citv now either.:cry::cry:

it was on around half to half five.
                you had shows like dangermouse,knightmare inspector,gadget, etc etc etc

to much of these pokemon cartoons as well.

when i was younger i great shows to watch like trapdoor,count duckula,follyfoot, gummi bears, he man and the masters of the universe and countless others.

anyone growing up in the sixties sevenres and eighties where very lucky.
                also some great shows in the nineties.
                FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

So basically the shows I've mentioned cannot be classed as kids shows in your view? Odd. Also, no you don't see the point I was making about The Inbetweeners-its like how school really is thesedays or even when I was a kid. Grange Hill in truth isn't like how school is these days really, nor did it show how kids where when it was coming to an end. As for Byker Grove? It was stupid. As for the classic cartoons I mentioned? Well, I somehow doubt the pap of today will be as well remembered as the shows of my childhood....I think your disagreeing with me for the sake of it really.
                  Sigh, no, I'm disagreeing because although I'm 46 and grew up with the kids TV of the 70s and (to a lesser extent) the '80s I can see that there's good and bad in every era. Of course the 'classic animation' you mention are kids' shows but they're only pre-school shows and I don't think pre-school stuff today has suffered as much as UK kids telly for 8-12s and teens. You didn't like Byker Grove (and I didn't think much to it either) but the point I was making was that even back then, and earlier, there was rubbish and no matter what era you grew up in, that's what you'll generally think of as the best. In a few generations time very few people will remember what you think of as the golden era.

As for The Inbetweeners, of course it's more like your school years because we all went around (well, most boys anyway) being crass and lusting after girls but it's not a kids programme. Take all that stuff out of it to be able to show it to kids and it stops being The Inbetweeners. It's completely pointless talking about it in relation to kids' TV.

Sorry if I don't share your rose-tinted view of kids' TV of old. My problem nowadays is that there doesn't seem to be the funding for a really healthy UK kids TV market.

Comment

I agree, I can think of a few duds among the shows I used to like.

A while back I remember reading about someone who had looked through some old TV listings from their childhood, & being surprised that they couldn't remember some programmes at all, even ones scheduled between two shows they remember very well.

Also in recent years I've caught a few newer shows that I found amusing, & I'm sure I would have liked them when I was younger.
                    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

There was always rubbish in amongst the gems during childrens bbc or itv. The good thing with 80s kids tv was all you had was 3 channels and those 3 channels usually tried to utilise the best stuff during the 2 hours of after school time...

Things like The Box of Delights had massive build ups to them with articles in the radio times or interviews on blue peter to make you dribble in anticipation of the start of the run. There was a sense of broom cupboard community and connection with whoever was controlling it that day. You KNEW what was on and when, you knew the perils of penelope pitstop would be on after Jackanory then newsround then blue peter or grangehill. Yes Grange hill was nothing like our school but you always discussed it the following day...well until the early 90s when mclusky left.

Kids since Sky and cable are spoilt for choice...all the cheap looking cartoons and kenan and kel type dross is 10 a penny. Its cheaper for the bbc to import all the shite like this rather than fund some decent kids dramas...the last may have been "the demon headmaster". Things like Chocky,dramarama,CFF films....not to say importing foreign stuff like Heidi or Silas and Red hand gang didnt happen in the 80s but it was quality stuff rather than canned laughter spoilt teens worrying about some prom dress fiasco or a spot on date night.

Comment

Sigh, no, I'm disagreeing because although I'm 46 and grew up with the kids TV of the 70s and (to a lesser extent) the '80s I can see that there's good and bad in every era. Of course the 'classic animation' you mention are kids' shows but they're only pre-school shows and I don't think pre-school stuff today has suffered as much as UK kids telly for 8-12s and teens. You didn't like Byker Grove (and I didn't think much to it either) but the point I was making was that even back then, and earlier, there was rubbish and no matter what era you grew up in, that's what you'll generally think of as the best. In a few generations time very few people will remember what you think of as the golden era.

Sorry if I don't share your rose-tinted view of kids' TV of old. My problem nowadays is that there doesn't seem to be the funding for a really healthy UK kids TV market.

No its not. Kids these days watch The Inbetweeners. They're more savvy, more adult like and more annoying than ever.

As for nit picking on what I class as 'kids tv' being pre school shows, if you look at the thread it says 'what do you think of kids tv today'....NOT 'what do you think of kids tv in the demographic age market of say 8-12 and up year olds' so I can in fact mention these shows...its a general thread, not specific.

As for The Inbetweeners, of course it's more like your school years because we all went around (well, most boys anyway) being crass and lusting after girls but it's not a kids programme. Take all that stuff out of it to be able to show it to kids and it stops being The Inbetweeners. It's completely pointless talking about it in relation to kids' TV. As for what I mentioned in terms of shows I made mention of the ones I liked. I could have mentioned I hated Catweezel, that I found repeats of Follyfoot naff too. I could have mentioned I didn't like The Box of Delights, that like someone else said it was hyped up brilliantly but was generally disappointing say compared to the BBC version of 'Tom's Midnight Garden' or their My Family and Other Animals with Hannah Gordon which even though it was slightly aimed at a wider audience had a nice childlike accessibility to it...

The odd thing is there isn't a wider amount of tv for kids in the age range you mention. Like Darren said also theres no CITV really and what is on is a glut of stupid cartoons on satalite channels and the like...and less of the sigh.

Comment

I'm sorry, but if you think kids managing to watch The Inbetweeners and it being compared to a show for kids is the same thing then I can't agree.

I also don't agree that there's not as much pre-school programming about nowadays (if that's what you meant - it's hard to tell). Between CBeebies and Channel 5 there's quite a lot (and CITV still does a little bit). Certainly as much as the BBC only output you mentioned.

I'm not really sure what you're getting at in regards to hating one programme but liking another. Is it that you accept that there was (in your opinion) still a lot of rubbish back then, just as there is now? I don't really get what you're arguing about.

In my personal opinion (and that's what it is, only my opinion) the problem is that there isn't as much UK produced TV for older children, but what is there is not too bad (I'm not talking about US cartoons. Now, as then, there's OK stuff and a lot of rubbish). UK pre-school shows are in a much healthier state although there's not really an Oliver Postgate for the 21st century. You may not like Peppa Pig, Roary the Racing Car, Ben & Holly or Jungle Junction but then you're not 4 any more.

The thing is this is a nostalgia board. I like looking back and remembering the TV shows of my youth and I think it's a shame that we don't have half the UK kids TV industry we used to but I also don't subscribe to the idea that back then was all great and now is completely rubbish with everything being ruined by an onslaught of US cartoons and teen comedies. We had plenty of rubbish US cartoons in the '70s and '80s. Take those satellite channels out of the equation and see what's left. Is Tracey Beaker any worse than Rentaghost? Is Sarah Jane worse than The Tomorrow People? I'll cut crummy shows from 35 years ago some slack because of nostalgia and I wish we had the sheer amount of kids' drama output of those times, nowadays, too but just jumping up and shouting that everything's rubbish today? Sorry, I don't subscribe to that.

Comment

I'm sorry, but if you think kids managing to watch The Inbetweeners and it being compared to a show for kids is the same thing then I can't agree.
                            Yeah waterloo road - though it's not a Children's show totaly (but does attract kids) is much closer to Grange Hill than the Inbetweeners I believe/feel

Comment

Originally posted by RetroAEROSMITH View Post
                              There was always rubbish in amongst the gems during childrens bbc or itv. The good thing with 80s kids tv was all you had was 3 channels and those 3 channels usually tried to utilise the best stuff during the 2 hours of after school time...

Things like The Box of Delights had massive build ups to them with articles in the radio times or interviews on blue peter to make you dribble in anticipation of the start of the run. There was a sense of broom cupboard community and connection with whoever was controlling it that day. You KNEW what was on and when, you knew the perils of penelope pitstop would be on after Jackanory then newsround then blue peter or grangehill. Yes Grange hill was nothing like our school but you always discussed it the following day...well until the early 90s when mclusky left.

Kids since Sky and cable are spoilt for choice...all the cheap looking cartoons and kenan and kel type dross is 10 a penny. Its cheaper for the bbc to import all the shite like this rather than fund some decent kids dramas...the last may have been "the demon headmaster". Things like Chocky,dramarama,CFF films....not to say importing foreign stuff like Heidi or Silas and Red hand gang didnt happen in the 80s but it was quality stuff rather than canned laughter spoilt teens worrying about some prom dress fiasco or a spot on date night.

going to my younger days watching citv and bbc i actually liked pretty much every show.

what id like to see is a terrestrial channel which would every morning show 3 or 4 hrs of of shows from the secenties and eigties and some from the nineties.

Or even have a digital channel just for kids shows from these 3 decades.
                              Sort of like a uk gold channel only with kids shows we watched.

and ill bet kids now would preger them to what they see now.
                              FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Some older stuff does occasionally turn up, I spotted BBC2 showing 1970s Scooby Doo in the mornings this week.
                                The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Working...
                                X