No announcement yet.

what do people think of kids tv today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what do people think of kids tv today?

Hi - this is sort of linked into threads on here about how great kids tv was back in the day.

I'm guessing that many here - like me - remember some great kids tv shows on ITV (How2, Book Tower, The Adventure Game). And many - again like me - are now parents and have noticed how things have changed. ITV hardly does any new kids tv anymore.

I just wondered how you think today's kids viewing compares, particularly for older kids. There was a lot of talk about a crisis and things getting worse and I'd like to know if it's true that kids are watching mainly US programmes like everyone says. And maybe that doesn't really matter?

Re: what do people think of kids tv today?

As this is about TV today and not the past, I've moved it into the members lounge
    Heather

Comment

I don't have kids of my own but work in a primary school so try to keep abreast of the latest kids shows on TV. From what I've seen, they are really quite different to the shows I saw as a child. I'm worried I might be regarded as an old fogey by saying they aren't as good. (Though I do tend to feel that.)

The balance of fun-science programmes, period and comedy drama, sci-fi, magazine shows etc. seemed to be better in the 70s and 80s, and to a lesser degree, in the 90s. And of course, as has already been said, ITV have all but given up. The children at school are either talking about the American imports, or the 'flashing lights-falling over-gunge' game shows. That is when they're not talking about programmes that are shown way past their bedtime.
      Last edited by Marine Boy; 22-09-2010, 21:02.

Comment

I don't get to see much children's TV these days, but a few years ago I was between jobs & often started channel hopping through the cable channels.

Some of the programmes on the kids channels were good enough to make me think I would have liked them when I was younger.

I don't there's much more American programming than 20-30 years ago, certainly I remember lots of old cartoon short films & the works of Hanna Barbera etc.
        The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
          ...I don't there's much more American programming than 20-30 years ago, certainly I remember lots of old cartoon short films & the works of Hanna Barbera etc.
          Yes, I think you're right regarding the cartoons, but I feel that american comedies and quirky dramas are far more evident than they were 20 years ago.

Comment

In the words of Eric Morcambe, rubbish! Not that I see much kid's TV. The most recent thing I used to see regularly was the hoobs when it was on early morning and I couldn't be bothered to switch over in my semi-slumber. Very annoying in parts but ok in others. Got to love Groob or Groove or whoever he is, the green one.

I've suffered a few 'in the night gardens' thanks to my friend's son. That's just bizarre, although I do have a soft spot for the Ninky Nonk.
            Last edited by Trickyvee; 22-09-2010, 21:39.
            1976 Vintage

Comment

Originally posted by Trickyvee View Post
              In the words of Eric Morcambe, rubbish! Not that I see much kid's TV. The most recent thing I used to see regularly was the hoobs when it was on early morning and I couldn't be bothered to switch over in my semi-slumber. Very annoying in parts but ok in others. Got to love Groob or Groove or whoever he is, the green one.

I've suffered a few 'in the night gardens' thanks to my friend's son. That's just bizarre, although I do have a soft spot for the Ninky Nonk.
              I am well versed in all aspects of In the night garden. My daughter loves it and I have to admit one episode had me in fits of laughter. Iggle piggle dropped his blanket on the Pontipines house and Mr Pontipine ("MI MI MI MI") was doing his nut. Some of the other stuff is ridiculous. Even my daughter (who is 2) turns her nose up at Waybaloo. She does like watching my original 60s animated Spiderman dvds though.
              "GAME OVER MAN, GAME OVER"

Comment

I must admit, I do love Spongebob and Kim Possible lol but they're not like the cartoons I used to watch when I was younger....
                I used to love Trap Door, don't really see anything like that now really...well I havn't anyway lol

Comment

One morning over the the Christmas holiday just gone I woke up very early in the morning and I could not drop back off - so I put the TV on. It was some kids program (maybe Hoobs) but it involved them breaking wind and flying around the screen like a balloon would if you let it loose.

From what I have seen of the TV I do feel sorry for kids today - I had the real ghostbusters cartoon (one story involved them taking the alternator off the car to power something, would a modern kids show go into this depth?), Bitsa, Raggy Dolls, Rolf Harris's arts program, Art Attack, How2, an Art show on BBC1 with an elderly gent (cant think of his name) but it had Morph in it, Sooty and Sweep Show (the episode with Sweep on Stars in Your eyes had me in stitches! ), Tailspin, Trap Door, Big Bertha and lots more that I have forgot.

Kids TV today just seems to be : Weird or baffling (to me anyway!) programs like the wind breaking one mentioned above, American imports about young teenagers or action animations/live action.

Comment

what is so entertaining about a kids show where they break wind.
                    rather rude me thinks.

those of us who grew up in the seventies eighties and nineties where very lucky.
                    the quality of kids shows like trap door,grotbags etc.
                    we really where growing up in a golden age of kids telly.

i enjoy them shows mor now than i did back then.

im a bigger kid now than i was when i was a kid.

check this one out.
                    i love it.
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbPxRAeClJA
                    FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

I agree that there seems to be a lot less variety in kids TV shows these days. There used to be a good balance of interesting, educational and silly in different formats with a smattering of good cartoons in between. Doesn't seem that way now. But breaking wind is funny there's no two ways about it, well I think so lol.
                      1976 Vintage

Comment

Originally posted by Trickyvee View Post
                        I agree that there seems to be a lot less variety in kids TV shows these days. There used to be a good balance of interesting, educational and silly in different formats with a smattering of good cartoons in between. Doesn't seem that way now. But breaking wind is funny there's no two ways about it, well I think so lol.

well ok maybe a bit funny. lol
                        as long as your not on the receiving end of it.

well ive no kids if i did d get them to watch the ones we used to watch.
                        but would kids now watch what we watched as kids.
                        in some ways i think not but that would be there loss tricky.
                        FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

I must admit a good pump makes me chortle as it did when i was a kid
                          The only thing to look forward to is the past

Comment

There are some good quality kids programmes on tv today - Horrible Histories for example - some really clever, entertaining and educational stuff. There are lots of daft programmes too which are good fun. Where tv programming for kids breaks down I think is due to the sheer number of channels to fill. The quality of some kids cartoons in particular is apalling in my opinion. I'm thinking of stuff like The Cramp Twins and similar.
                            "She moves in such an exciting world!"

Comment

On the subject of kids enjoying old shows, or not:

I loved and was charmed by the Southern TV series, Worzel Gummidge. A year or so ago, I showed it to an eight year old who told me they couldn't really watch it. They said it was "too old and sort of slow". Now it's quite true that the print used for the DVD release is not great, especially in the early episodes, and does look 'old'. But the problem of the story being too slow is very interesting. Children these days are used to extremely fast paced drama.

Comment

Working...
                              X